e-mail "letter" from Adam Goldstein

Jenn31708

I'm sure I'm not the only one that got this. I think it's completely unnecessary that RCI felt they had to send it out at all. Opinions? Should they have apologized for mailing new brochures last week?

Dear Jennifer,

On behalf of my shipboard and shoreside colleagues, I would like to express our heartfelt concern for everyone who has been affected by Hurricane Sandy. Here in South Florida, where our company is headquartered, we have first-hand experience with powerful storms and understand their terrible effects. Our thoughts and prayers are with the people in the Northeast United States who are recovering and rebuilding right now. We would like to wish you, your friends and your loved ones well.

Prior to this devastating event, we had mailed a brochure to valued guests like you, promoting our year-end specials and inviting you to give the gift of a cruise this holiday season. We could not foresee that the timeline of this mailing would result in it arriving in Northeast households immediately after the storm and for that we do apologize.

If you and yours stayed safe during the storm and its aftermath, may you remain so. And if you have suffered losses, the sympathies of all of us at Royal Caribbean International are with you.

With Thanksgiving just a few weeks away, may we all give thanks for our families, friends and their well-being and offer our thoughts and prayers for those who may face a difficult recovery.

Adam Goldstein

Interesting. That tells me people called to complain at the "callousness" of companies who could not have foretold the timing...I'm sure the brochures were planned months ahead of time and were sent, unfortunately, just prior to the Hurricane.

I agree, they should not have to apologize, and I do assume everyone who was sent the brochure that were in "impacted" zip codes and had an email address on file received the same apology.

Interesting. That tells me people called to complain at the "callousness" of companies who could not have foretold the timing...I'm sure the brochures were planned months ahead of time and were sent, unfortunately, just prior to the Hurricane.

I agree, they should not have to apologize, and I do assume everyone who was sent the brochure that were in "impacted" zip codes and had an email address on file received the same apology.

I figured I got this because I'm in NY. Luckily, we had no damage at all from the storm.

But even if we had, I don't see how this brochure could be seen as offensive.

Why do people have to take a cynical view of a gesture from a company acknowledging bad timing of a marketing campaign in the light of a disaster? Give the company credit!

It was a gesture of good will. That's all!

Where do you see anyone being cynical? No one attacked RCI. We all said it was a nice letter and that the timing wasn't offensive.

hey Jenn...I am on Long Island too. Do u have power? We have not had it in 10 days. And now this Nor Easter today....this is crazy! Hope you are safe, so many people lost everything! My cruise cant come soon enough!!!

Luckily we never lost power at all. I have friends that lost everything, their homes, all their belongings and their cars. That sucks that you haven't gotten your power back. I heard LIPA say they're hoping for the majority of people to have power back by tomorrow night. I'm crossing my fingers for you!

Maybe it wasn't from actual complaints and just someone with a brain in RC's marketing department. Once they realized those brochures would be arriving right after the hurricane hit they may have thought this would be the right thing to do. Of course they were playing CYA for all the people that had nothing better to do than call and complain but I highly doubt that was their motive.

Trust me though, living in FL and having been through a bunch of hurricanes.. receiving a piece of mail with "year end sales" is at the bottom of your list when your roof is laying in your backyard.

I'm offended that someone would complain about receiving a brochure at the same time of the storm. These campaigns are planned well in advance. I got lots of mail during the storm/recovery period. I'm not complaining to companies. I am getting tired of all the emails from every bank, credit company, etc. with their sympathy and offers of help - of course at a cost.

I found it offensive that someone actually had the gaul to complain about it. What are they looking for a free cruise? and yes, I did receive one and instantly thought, what the heck is this about? Somebody complained. ridiculous.

How do you know that someone complained? Never ceases to amaze me that so many people will make an assumption and follow it up with a conclusion.

Not for nothing, but if you actually GOT the brochure that means that a. you actually still HAVE a mailbox that did not get swept away by the storm. b. you still have mail service. c. you are not in a shelter and are able to get your mail. I would think these things are things to be thankful for, not to complain about. :D

Archived