e-mail "letter" from Adam Goldstein

Jenn31708

I found it offensive that someone actually had the gaul to complain about it. What are they looking for a free cruise? and yes, I did receive one and instantly thought, what the heck is this about? Somebody complained. ridiculous.

The thought that the letter was sparked by a complaint is nothing more than speculation. No need to accuse anyone of looking for a free cruise or to perpetuate something based in zero fact.

I thought Adam's letter was nice but certainly not necessary. The area affected by the storm is a small part of RCI's service area.... the world. I would never have been offended by receiving a brochure from the company. It would have given me something to read while my flashlight batteries were working.

They probably saved some lawsuit money by sending the e-mail :rolleyes:

I do not mean this as offensive to anyone, but the US legal system is often treated as a funny joke in Europe. This just confirms it :o

They probably saved some lawsuit money by sending the e-mail :rolleyes:

I do not mean this as offensive to anyone, but the US legal system is often treated as a funny joke in Europe. This just confirms it :o

It's often treated as a funny joke here as well! :D

While I agree that they "didn't have to" send it out, it actually speaks volumes about the company that they did. Living 20 minutes from the Jersey shore, we got slammed by Sandy, yet I don't harbor any bad feelings toward any of the companies that have jammed my mailbox with holiday catalogs, etc.

Regardless of whether or not they got complaints, RCCL has been known to do what's right rather than what everyone else is doing. A case in point is the decision to return to Labadee shortly after the hurricane hit. They got skewered over the optics of it -- which they had to have guessed would be the case -- but did so anyway for a number of reasons, many of which were humanitarian in nature.

I applaud them for taking the time to think about how impacted folks receiving that brochure MIGHT have reacted to it, and think it was pretty compassionate and self-aware of them to bother taking the time to acknowledge the inadvertent bad timing. They didn't have to, but they did.

On top of that, it was a well-written letter, too, which I say as a corporate PR person.

We didn't receive the brochure but did get the email. We are in Northern New Jersey, right where the storm hit. We lost power for a week, I know several who lost their homes, one person who is getting married this sunday and her wedding dress was ruined in a flood!... and I am still not offended. You know what? Natural disasters happen. The world needs to keep on spinning.

A lot of people complained at my college when campus finally reopened a week after the hurricane, saying that people are dealing with a lot. The truth is, there will never be a best time for every person, and we need to get back to normal life.

Besides, maybe the gift of a cruise for your friends in the Northeast to be able to escape the terrible winter weather is just the thing they need :rolleyes:

I live on Long Island. I got the e-mail but not the brochure. We lost power and mail service for a few days, but have both back now. I wish that I had got the brochure...would not have been offended at all.

Adam is a class act! I think he did the right thing, even if not necessary. That is what makes him a classy guy running a thoughtful company.

Well said! We live in NJ and lost power for 6 days. Our area is still not out of the woods yet, as are many, many more. :( I did receive the e-mail, but not the brochure. I would have said that it crossed in the mail due to "Sandy", and put it away for calmer days to read...JMHO!

Hope everyone is doing better and getting back power and staying as warm and safe as they can!!

Our prayers continue:)

Not for nothing, but if you actually GOT the brochure that means that a. you actually still HAVE a mailbox that did not get swept away by the storm. b. you still have mail service. c. you are not in a shelter and are able to get your mail. I would think these things are things to be thankful for, not to complain about. :D

Great Post, it's always nice to see things from the bright side. We only went without power for 18 hours but I can't tell you how happy I was to see a neighbor's automatic garage door opener working when I was driving back into the community from running an errand.

Yes my first thought when I read the email last night was someone complained. But maybe not, maybe they didn't maybe one of RCI shore side staff received it and mentioned that the timing was bad.

There could have been other reasons as well but someone did mention it to corporate or the email would not have gone out.

I thought it was nice to get the email. I was really touched by it, but it certainly wasn't necessary. It's possible that the brochure was in the bucket of mail that we just picked up on Tuesday. We didn't have any mail delivery for a week, so I've only read the pressing stuff. The post office had no power, and they couldn't have driven the truck around anyway for several days with all the trees down.

Got the e-mail

Got the brochure

Got the e-mail from Mr. G.

Got Sandy

Got a nor'easter

Got no gas

Got snow

Got tree's down

got no power for over a week

Think it was a nice touch from RCCL!!!

How about we worry about those with no homes, no electric, freezing and hungry.

We recently cruised with RCCL on the Explorer and did not get the brochure. I did receive the email and thought it was a nice gesture as well. We are in NJ and while we have power many still do not. Our gas situation has calmed down even though the odd even is still in effect. There are PSE & G men just down the street as I type fixing a line. There are many lines still in roads here and the shore area is a total disaster yet. Prayers for all still affected and hope to have power on soon.

While I agree that they "didn't have to" send it out, it actually speaks volumes about the company that they did. Living 20 minutes from the Jersey shore, we got slammed by Sandy, yet I don't harbor any bad feelings toward any of the companies that have jammed my mailbox with holiday catalogs, etc.

Regardless of whether or not they got complaints, RCCL has been known to do what's right rather than what everyone else is doing. A case in point is the decision to return to Labadee shortly after the hurricane hit. They got skewered over the optics of it -- which they had to have guessed would be the case -- but did so anyway for a number of reasons, many of which were humanitarian in nature.

I applaud them for taking the time to think about how impacted folks receiving that brochure MIGHT have reacted to it, and think it was pretty compassionate and self-aware of them to bother taking the time to acknowledge the inadvertent bad timing. They didn't have to, but they did.

On top of that, it was a well-written letter, too, which I say as a corporate PR person.

*Like* ... and I let RCI know also that the thought was appreciated.

I thought Adam's letter was nice but certainly not necessary. The area affected by the storm is a small part of RCI's service area.... the world. I would never have been offended by receiving a brochure from the company. It would have given me something to read while my flashlight batteries were working.

For me, I think these are the points that make RCI a good corporation...to display sensitivity and compassion to even it's smallest market share shows humanity...may not be necessary but it feels good.;)

I thought the email was a decent human thing to do. I took it as a genuine expression of concern and care. Yes, Royal Caribbean is a big company, but it's a big company made up of people. Adam Goldstein didn't have to send that email; I think it was a very nice, warm, human gesture.

I thought it was weird...all the other travel providers sent emails within hours or days of the event...and even then it was to apologize if their challenges affected customers or to explain how they would manage things. This email arrived a week or more later and felt like they were using the tragedy to promote their sale (especially to those who might have missed it due to power outages etc and would be most likely to notice a "sandy" email)

Why should they apologize for running a sale when they couldn't possibly have known there would be a storm.:confused: Maybe I'm a skeptic, but I'm picturing marketing wringing their hands over the fact that they spent all this money on a promotion and then lost their "window" due to the storm, and hatching this plan to send a "we are so sorry we sent this promotion to you during the storm " email". Where was the email within days talking about the "extraordinary challenges", "thanks for your patience" and "pax were safe thanks to our wonderful employees"? IMO, weird!

Archived