Changed Cancellation Terms

globevest

I have just booked a new 10 day cruise and notice that Oceania have changed their cancellation schedule. Previously it cost '0' to cancel 91 days or more prior to sailing. Now there is $100 pp charge for cancellation during the period 91 to 120 days prior to sailing and '0' prior to 120 days. Not a big deal.....but a change. Has anyone else seen this?

Regent has long charged $200 per booking cancellation fee from date of deposit. Silversea has recently started charging the same. Now Oceania is following. Imo this is a good idea since too many people made deposits and cancelled without penalty depriving those who really wanted to sail of a choice of cabins.

• 4 weeks later...

I noticed the difference, but have no problem-we book 12+ months out and pay in full way in advance-then, when we get close, seems like I never spent the money.( I know, silly, but works for us!:)) I am not worried about the tiny interest $ I am out. I also buy travel insurance right away and what they pay would be the reasons I would cancel for.

I found out from my TA when I booked for next year. Really didn't make much of a dufference to me beacuse I never book with the thought of cancelling. My next cruise is on Riviera January 3rd and I can't wait.

Fran from Florida

Regent has long charged $200 per booking cancellation fee from date of deposit. Silversea has recently started charging the same. Now Oceania is following. Imo this is a good idea since too many people made deposits and cancelled without penalty depriving those who really wanted to sail of a choice of cabins.

Agree 100%

It deters "frivolous" bookings IMO

Azamara charges $100 non refundable and all the river cruise companies charge as well. Particularly on the smaller ships, the fee is critical.

It has always been the case in the UK that you lose your deposit if you cancel so it is nice to see things becoming fairer.

As Pacheco18 suggests hopefully it will deter 'frivolous bookers', although $100 compared to the deposit amounts in the UK is a small amount to forfeit :(

Another benefit of a cancellation fee is that it gives the cruise line a better of idea of which cruises are going to be fully booked and which ones are not. That could lead to price reductions for us if those who are not serious about booking (and are just holding a place for themselves) refrain from booking because of the penalty. i think it's a win win.

Archived