Suggested dress for 12 yr old boy in dining room on Miracle

jenlyn63

We are sailing on the Miracle in July with our 14 yr old DD and 12 yr old DS. My son is not much for dressing any fancier than khakis. Is the Captains night the only really dressy nite we need to be concerned about for him? Otherwise will khakis or khaki type shorts with a nice shirt work for the other nights? Hate to spend $$ on pants he will never wear again since he is growing very rapidly!

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks.

There are two formal nights... but you don't have to go to either if you don't want. There is the buffet, pizza, deli, room service, etc. Shorts are not permitted in the dining room at dinner time. You can always check consignment shops, etc. for some good deals for boys, since he is growing, I would try to find the best deals... Here is the dress code from Carnival:

Is there a dress code for the dining room?spacer.gifDepending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

we were jsut on th miracle and saw many in the dining room dressed inapropriatly, and personally i think it sucks! people wearing shorts and not dressed on formal nights, and alot of men wearing sandals to dinner. I think it is rediculous, we had a 24 month old with us and he wore a suit to both formal nights and pants and a collared shirt for all the additonal nights....

we had a 24 month old with us and he wore a suit to both formal nights and pants and a collared shirt for all the additonal nights....

He must have looked adorable!!!

Jenlyn63One of the coolest parts of Formal nights is stopping at those Picture stations to take Family picture, this is the time to look good and shine, on that ship there should be around 15 stations around the ship to stop and take family photos, then the next day the fun begins with looking for them and checking them out, if you dont like them you just get rid of them, the ones you do like you just buy.

So I do recommend a nice outfit for your son so that he looks good in those nice pictures. These you can send to family throughout the year and even for christmas with a card.

I remember when I was 12 and my Mom made me a killer Grey suit, I felt like a Movie star! oh and got lots of attention with the girls :cool:

You son can get away with a Nice white Long sleeve shirt, nice dark tie to match your dress or your daughters dress and dark pants, black shoes, if you have that already youre set. If he doesnt have a sports jacket thats ok.

Nothing builds self esteem than a smart looking child, or young adult, knowing he's being noticed!

Agree. When I was on the CP there was a boy (couldn't have been more than 4 (?)) in a tux. The women and teenage girls were making all sorts of comments and I'm sure they boy was loving all the attention.

Agree. When I was on the CP there was a boy (couldn't have been more than 4 (?)) in a tux. The women and teenage girls were making all sorts of comments and I'm sure they boy was loving all the attention.

Not to sound anti-social, but there are many people who strive not to draw attention... adults and children alike.

Of course, the surest way to draw attention would be to dress inappropriately...

hmm... sounds like a fine line there.. LOL

Tom

Not to sound anti-social, but there are many people who strive not to draw attention... adults and children alike.

Of course, the surest way to draw attention would be to dress inappropriately...

hmm... sounds like a fine line there.. LOL

Tom

yeah...which side of the line do you want to walk?? The side with the positive attention, or the negative attention???

I can understand not wanting attention...but if I'm gonna have some, you'd better believe I don't want it to be bad. ;) ...although I'm sure that there are people that like that negative attention.

I agree. Just stating what I saw.

I have 2 boys - 12yo & 9yo that are coming with us on our upcoming 7/3 Miracle cruise. They both have a bunch of khakis, collared shirts,& ties, but no "suits." I plan on buying each a sports coat for formal nights.

I think nothing looks sharper on a young man than a pair of khakis with a crisp white shirt, tie and navy blazer.

yeah...which side of the line do you want to walk?? The side with the positive attention, or the negative attention???

I can understand not wanting attention...but if I'm gonna have some, you'd better believe I don't want it to be bad. ;) ...although I'm sure that there are people that like that negative attention.

I am as ready as the next fellow to dress down, when the occasion allows. During dinner (on a ship) I prefer to blend with the masses ! There is saftey in numbers :)

Tom

I have taken my two boys on a cruise with me and they love to wear those Hawiian shirts, they look nice for non formal nights with a pair of khakis. however, I am all for the suit at a formal dinner. they both love to get dressed up so it is never a problem getting them to wear them.

the last cruise we were on my boys were 7 and 13, I went to Walmart and got them each a pair of dark dress slacks, two shirts and two ties. They looked so good and they had a great time dressing up. This time we go they'll be 15 and 21 and they already told me they're not going to do the formal nights. It's all shorts all the time. But I told them that I was paying for the crusie and if they wanted to go to get off the boat at any of the stops the least they could do for me is dress up one night. They agreed. :)

HALOS : it took a minute or so to decrypt your avatar... cute..!

Tom

LOL...yeah...it was even cuter at regular size...no one seems to know what it is. I'll change it as soon as I find something else I like better. :p

Tom-n-Cheryl:

That would be the July 3 cruise!

:)

GREAT!

Here is a link to our ROLL CALL for that cruise! There are several CC'ers on that sailing.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=66506

That thread is up to 8 pages now, I linked you to PAGE ONE, so that you can start "fresh"... after you get up to speed then say HELLO there (or say HELLO, then catch up...:D )

Welcome!

Tom

Mee tu!

I have looked, squinted, enhanced....no luck in the decifering.

:confused:

I'm envious that you suceeded!

Pete - Once you see it, you can't miss it...

Picture a CAT laying on its side with its paw over its head... :D

Tom

Archived