A Guessing Game...... What Is Next?

sail7seas

kazu

It could happen. Look what happened when HAL started the new Mariner program. Items that Deluxe Suites and PS passengers paid for in their fare -- like laundry, priority boarding, etc. -- passengers with 200 days now get -- and they don't even pay the BIG fares. And they can quickly get to 200 days since onboard purchases and excursions count as days for $300 they spend.

With all due respect it does take a while to get to 200 days. We do not have priority boarding. I paid $3200 for my next cruise. Not exactly cheap. This is a far cry from paying for coffee. I don't think many of the $399 cruisers are going to make 4 star status because they'll be looking for the next cheap deal. You also pay for the real estate of your cabin. We all have a choice in our cabin pick.

That would really stink if there is a charge for Cappucino/Espresso in the MDR. This is our first HAL cruise and I was looking forward to it as it was complimentary on our last cruise (a quickie 4 nighter on an older Carnival ship.) I really dislike the nickel and diming, too.

Look for it on all the Carnival Corp. lines.......

If they are doing it on HAL, expect it on Princess, Carnival et al

IMO

It makes HAL look cheap and cheesy IMO and I hate using those words to describe HAL but they have sunk to a level I hoped they would not do. To charge for a cup of coffee with breakfast, lunch and dinner.........

I know no one in Seattle will like this post but I am aware of that. It is disappointing to keep removing the touches that made HAL refined, dignified, tasteful and with grace. I understand they are a for profit company but raise the 'dam' prices before you dilute the product to something we don't recognize.

I'm sorry for those I may be offending but give it some thought, please.

Here! Here! And, pardon the pun, I hope they hear you! The notion of having to sort out what is included and what isn't really kind of turns me off. And to see things that were once included now being charged for just really rubs me the wrong way. Granted we paid for it and it wasn't everything on the ship but our last cruise was an all-inclusive and it really was pretty nice not to have to worry about some charges. Sure, shore excursions and spa treatments were not included but then again there was no constantly giving out our cabin card for a drink, a specialty coffee, a bottle of wine, a soda, and so on.

I agree this is cheap-looking and a bad move. What's more, I can't believe this is even really cost-effective, given all the work involved in tracking the extra charge. And to load more work on the DR waitstaff when they have already been cut back - dumb idea!

What's next? Limits on the number of servings/person in the MDR?

No more, "I feel like eating 12 filets/lobsters/shrimp cocktails tonight."

And that's a change that I'll have no complaints about.

Do people really do that? I've never seen anyone do that in my 300 plus days on ships.

My husband and I neither drink alcohol or soda, so this really won't affect us, but I don't like it. Maybe they could ask ahead of time and charge accordingly, or just raise the price $50.00 to $100.00 depending on cruise length. I don't want overworked stewards or waiters. I'm willing to pay more and have a staff that isn't about to collapse. On our last cruise we waited and waited for our tea at the end of dinner.

That's it exactly! HAL needs to reward they people that commit early and hike up the prices for the $399 crowd that book at the end. I can just imagine how much revenue they make for HAL:rolleyes:. If you pay $399 for a cruise expect to pay for coffee in the MDR.

I wonder if they actually do that to some extent?

When we book, typically we book early, and fares usually fall. We book guarantee cabins, and normally we get an upgrade that as far as I am concerned compensates a lot for this.

Premium cabin or no, nickel-and-diming on board cheapens the experience, and it the experience that you pay for. My complaints do not centre around the ships which are wonderful or the staff which is terrific. If head office mandates overworked serving staff, nickel-and-diming, gimicky dining options, and very uneven food quality and service (probably from overwork) across ships, some people will look at other possibilities.

We didn't leave HAL, we just "cruise around". :D

What's next? Limits on the number of servings/person in the MDR?

No more, "I feel like eating 12 filets/lobsters/shrimp cocktails tonight."

And that's a change that I'll have no complaints about.

Do people really do that? I've never seen anyone do that in my 300 plus days on ships.

I confess..... when there's escargot I'll do a double. And baked brie.... I'll do a double. And OMG when the dessert is creme brulee, I'll do a double and convince at least one other table mate to join me :D :eek: :D

Have never doubled an entree, though, and when I double an appy, I skip the salad. My waistline should thank me :D

The $399 crowd does help fill the ship and does spend money on the ship. Maybe not as much as the high rollers do. They (we) serve a very sensible niche on the ships.

Haughty atitudes are not appreciated. This $399er has shore excursions and liqour pre-paid, will pay tips for that overworked staff and will add to the economies of the ports we visit.

BTW, I am not actually a $399er more like a $2,000 suite user.

That's it exactly! HAL needs to reward they people that commit early and hike up the prices for the $399 crowd that book at the end. I can just imagine how much revenue they make for HAL:rolleyes:. If you pay $399 for a cruise expect to pay for coffee in the MDR.

The $399 guy wants to be handed a glass of champagne the minute he boards, and caviar served in the crows nest at 5:00 daily

I usually don't have dessert. The decaf cappuccino is my dessert. I really enjoyed that after dinner and it was a special treat. While I will probably still order it, I really agree that it really makes HAL make look cheap. Also with all the Mariners on board, HAL is dealing with people who know that was complimentary. HAL is not dealing with newcomers who don't know any better. This is not going to sit well with Mariners who have many sailing days and I am sure there will be many comments on the surveys as well there should be.

I, for one, after my next cruise, am seriously thinking about Oceania.

This may be the deal breaker.

Terri

I've seen as many as four. The most I have had is two. Yes, people often get multiple dinners. I'm primarily a double escargot person myself. But I do skip the salad that day.:p

LOL...the only "doubles" I've ever done is the escargot...I just can't help myself...but I skip everything else that night...well, except for perhaps a salad. :p

I'm simply amazed at how some posters seem to act like charging for coffee is the end of the world. I am a 4 star mariner and I remember many, many things that were different when I first started cruising. If this was the worst thing that happened in my life I'd be overjoyed.

LOL...the only "doubles" I've ever done is the escargot...I just can't help myself...but I skip everything else that night...well, except for perhaps a salad. :p

Ditto for me too. Those escargot are my favorite of all Hal foods and one serving just doesn't do it.

I'm simply amazed at how some posters seem to act like charging for coffee is the end of the world. I am a 4 star mariner and I remember many, many things that were different when I first started cruising. If this was the worst thing that happened in my life I'd be overjoyed.

I agree...if I want a cappucino, fine by me if I have to pay for it. We pay for cappucino's at the Explorations Cafe; not much different to pay for it in the MDR.

I do Surf and Surf.... does that count as a double?

... and I believe Cappuccinos should be free.... it's a principle thing.:cool:

Archived