Is a balcony worth the money?

kywildcatfanone

We will be on the Caribbean Princess in a BA (Lido Deck).

Okay, you've got privacy. If you have the money for an UBD - go for it. However, I found the experience in the steakhouses I've been in (Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Princess) to be quite satisfying.

The balconies you see in my picture are on the Caribe deck and the Dolphine deck mini suites

Our first cruise was an OV, cause I did not want to blow so muc extra on a balcony....

Then we did a lot of balcony guaranteed.....Carribbean/Bermuda...loved each time eing on the balcony...

then in May, decided to book a 12 day Grand Med on Ruby..balcony was 800$ more total...

I went for it, because we did not know if we would ever be back, first time to all of these places.....and a 1 day for the extra 800$- not 5 or 7.

ABSOLUteLY, the best decision I made....we did not use it as much due to port intensivity, but we did use it enough to be thrilled we did it.

BUT I am looking to this year returning for another 12 day Grand Med.....and as much as I love love love a bacony.

we MIGHT decide to save the extra $$ and use it for excursions...

Note, I did an inside for our Evacuation Hurricane Sandy Cruise (to Boston instead of Bermuda) , and shared an inside for 6 nights instead of 4 with my MIL....it was fine, but I did miss a balcony and my husband...even with the horrible weather!

One other thing, I am using my Princess Visa for all my credit card charges, cause if I make it to 40,000$, I will get a 500$ credit for our next cruise, which would lower the cost of inside OR balcony alot!!

Bernadette

We had a balcony for the first time on our last cruise and I don't think we will ever book inside again. We were reluctant to spend the extra but we got an upgrade and now we are spoiled. It is expensive but wow what a difference it makes.

Depends on our budget. We have Had both insides and balconies. While I enjoy having a balcony, it depends on the price difference and the type of itinerary for me. If I plan expensive excursions, I often downgrade my cabin in order to balance my budget. That said if it was only a few hundred more, no brainer, but sometimes it is $1000 difference for both of us, and I don't think it is worth that much more,

Our first two cruises were insides, what we could afford at the time. They were definitely dark - but they were also very, very small, and were configured with twin beds, which we really didn't like. For the third cruise I booked a balcony and we loved it. Things we like about a balcony are larger room, queen bed, ability to open door and get fresh air, and everything that everyone else has said about using a balcony from popping out to check the weather, to sitting and reading, having a drink, or watching the sites. I like being able to open the door a little bit, when weather allows, and going to sleep listening to the waves.

We sleep/nap just as well with a balcony as an inside cabin. I think the action of the ocean rocks us to sleep as much as the darkness of the cabin.

We were in an OV on our last cruise. I enjoyed it, too, although I missed being able to get fresh air. There was a sofa by the window, so I was able to sit there and read and see the view outside, so that was OK. However, the cabins configured with the porthole at the head of the beds would be less desirable for me. (Although I would do that over an inside cabin.)

Our first two cruises were insides, what we could afford at the time. They were definitely dark - but they were also very, very small, and were configured with twin beds, which we really didn't like. For the third cruise I booked a balcony and we loved it. Things we like about a balcony are larger room, queen bed, ability to open door and get fresh air, and everything that everyone else has said about using a balcony from popping out to check the weather, to sitting and reading, having a drink, or watching the sites. I like being able to open the door a little bit, when weather allows, and going to sleep listening to the waves.

We sleep/nap just as well with a balcony as an inside cabin. I think the action of the ocean rocks us to sleep as much as the darkness of the cabin.

We were in an OV on our last cruise. I enjoyed it, too, although I missed being able to get fresh air. There was a sofa by the window, so I was able to sit there and read and see the view outside, so that was OK. However, the cabins configured with the porthole at the head of the beds would be less desirable for me. (Although I would do that over an inside cabin.)

For me, the balcony is not worth the price. I checked a 14 day cruise to Hawaii on the Golden Princess and the balcony for the two of us would cost $1200.00 more than an inside. That is over $85.00 per day and I don't feel it is worth the price.

I suggest calculating the cost per day and see if you think it is worth it to you. We all have different ideas of value, and yours may vary greatly from mine.

We have stayed inside on our last 2 cruises. We always cruise with another couple. They got a balcony next time and really want us to get one too. They think we are booked inside accross the hall, but we are in a balcony next door so the balconies connect. They are gonna be thrilled when we get to the rooms and we are next door. They have been pestering us to do it for 3 years. I'll let ya know after the cruise (feb 9th), but we are looking forward to it.

Archived