One (or two) Day Air Strike in Spain

doubledobles

Just received a call from Oceania Air that there's going to be an strike of employees of Iberia Air/British Air on Nov. 14. We were scheduled to leave on the 13th for our TA (on British Air, of course) and have been rescheduled to leave tomorrow, Nov. 12.

This is the first time we've used O's air department and I'm glad we did. I'm not happy about the earlier than planned departure and the reassignment of seats, but we'll get there with plenty of time to spare.

That is too bad about the day earlier departure ...I am usually packed a week or more ahead so that is not a problem for me :D

You could call the airline & ask for the seats you want

other option is to stick the original flights & hope for the best :rolleyes:

Sometimes you just have to go with the flow

Just received a call from Oceania Air that there's going to be an strike of employees of Iberia Air/British Air on Nov. 14. We were scheduled to leave on the 13th for our TA (on British Air, of course) and have been rescheduled to leave tomorrow, Nov. 12.

This is the first time we've used O's air department and I'm glad we did. I'm not happy about the earlier than planned departure and the reassignment of seats, but we'll get there with plenty of time to spare.

I am impressed that O was so proactive!

That is too bad about the day earlier departure ...I am usually packed a week or more ahead so that is not a problem for me :D

You could call the airline & ask for the seats you want

other option is to stick the original flights & hope for the best :rolleyes:

Sometimes you just have to go with the flow

Lyn, staying with original flights is a BAD idea..you may never get there..why put your cruise in jeopardy..and how bad can one extra day anywhere be??

Jancruz1

We are a party of two starting from two different cities. Delta called Friday morning (the 9th) about the strike. They were able to change flights from the 13th to the 12th. That took care of one person.

I was scheduled on KLM. I checked with the KLM website and had already been rescheduled. Leaving on the original day but now with a 13+ hour layover in AMS.

I called Oceania as soon as I finished with Delta. Oceania told me my original flight was still scheduled to operate. I told them I was looking at the KLM website and it was no longer operating and KLM had already changed my flights. Oceania told me I would have to pay a deviation fee ($125) for the change! I used a few choice words and hung-up on them.

I then called KLM (Delta/Air France). Got through to a Delta person who moved me to flights a day earlier. Not my desired routing, but at least I still have a seat in business and at NO additional fee.

To be fair, Oceania did contact us yesterday (Saturday) to inform of the strike. The rep said he saw where our flights had been changed and offered us a hotel room (but did not know the name nor location of the hotel when asked) in BCN for $160. As we had made our own hotel reservations, we declined the offer.

I truly do not understand why Oceania would ask me to pay a fee for something like this. I also do not understand why I knew about the strike and cancelled flights and was able to verify this on several airline websites, but Oceania could not.

I am NOT impressed with this part of Oceania.

Lyn, staying with original flights is a BAD idea..you may never get there..why put your cruise in jeopardy..and how bad can one extra day anywhere be??

Jancruz1

Jan I was being facetious ;)

of course it is better to go earlier & not have to worry ...

So you do not have the same seats but you are there in time for the cruise

Lyn

I truly do not understand why Oceania would ask me to pay a fee for something like this. I also do not understand why I knew about the strike and cancelled flights and was able to verify this on several airline websites, but Oceania could not.

I am NOT impressed with this part of Oceania.

Did you speak to the air dept or a res agent?

Might make all the difference

There are NO current industrial disputes or planned strikes at British Airways.....check your flights to see who they are operated by. London Heathrow flights to Barcelona are ALL operated by BA, even those with an Iberia flight number. Heathrow to Madrid on the other hand is a operated by both carriers, both carrying BA and IB codes. I work for BA but without your itinerary I can't advise any further :)

I always pack early, so that was no problem. We have the same reservations on the plane, only a day earlier. Don't know where we're sitting.....in the confusion on the phone with O air, I neglected to ask since I was so greatful to be able to get the same itinerary. Will check today online.

We added another day at our hotel (we booked our own hotel). If I remember correctly, the hotel has a pick up service at the airport, because taxis may not be running either, from what I've gleaned from the internet (Google). Air travel has become so difficult in the past years, but the reward is two weeks aboard Oceania's Riviera.

Jan I was being facetious ;)

of course it is better to go earlier & not have to worry ...

So you do not have the same seats but you are there in time for the cruise

Lyn

Im so glad you were kidding..I never know you to give a bad answer..

Jancruz2

There are NO current industrial disputes or planned strikes at British Airways.....check your flights to see who they are operated by. London Heathrow flights to Barcelona are ALL operated by BA' date=' even those with an Iberia flight number. Heathrow to Madrid on the other hand is a operated by both carriers, both carrying BA and IB codes. I work for BA but without your itinerary I can't advise any further :)[/quote']

As noted, this is a general strike that will occur throughout the Iberian peninsula, Greece and possibly Italy. It actually has been scheduled since mid-October. We were flying BA from Heathrow on the 14th so bought a second set of tickets on the 13th. BA has just announced some or all of its flights to Barcelona will be cancelled on the 14th and offered free changes of reservations. Much more than air traffic will be affected and hopefully the marches will remain peaceful.

As noted, this is a general strike that will occur throughout the Iberian peninsula, Greece and possibly Italy. It actually has been scheduled since mid-October. We were flying BA from Heathrow on the 14th so bought a second set of tickets on the 13th. BA has just announced some or all of its flights to Barcelona will be cancelled on the 14th and offered free changes of reservations. Much more than air traffic will be affected and hopefully the marches will remain peaceful.

I was merely responding to the OP who stated that it was BA & IB staff on strike......

We had the same problem on Regent last year. They have the same air department; We were originally routed via Paris. We had checked in for our flight to Paris and then transfer to Barcelona via Air France. The Air department rerouted us via Zurich to Barcelona and we had to pull our bags an hour before our flight. Air France wouldn't guarantee we'd get there in time for our cruise with the overnight strike. They thought we'd be in Paris ....for FIVE Days before they could get us to Barcelona. We missed the day in Barcelona but we did make our cruise.

Archived