Really disappointed in HAL's policy.

jaguarstyper

We have a cruise booked on Westerdam for December which we have already paid in full. SO, I and her 19 year old daughter. Over the weekend, a good friend of ours decided she would like to join us on this cruise. We all talked and we all thought it would work out reallt well if DD shared a cabin with our friend. She was willing to pay a solo fare, but liked the idea of sharing the cabin with DD as they are fairly close in age and good friends too. OK, sounds good, lets do it. I called our TA this morning to book the additional cabin and move DD to the new cabin. I was told that I would have to book and pay for the new cabin for DD and friend and then cancel DD from our booking. OK, no problem. Then I am told I would only be reimbursed 50% of the fare we paid for DD in the orginal cabin. Am I the only one who thinks this is ridiculous? I could totally see it if we were just cancelling her and she was not going, but we are buying another full fare cabin for her and yet another passenger. I'm astonished. Our TA said he has not encountered this on any other cruise line.

Since her original fare was only $99 as a third passenger, its not that much money, but really think this policy is total chicken sh*t. Yes, I have no doubt its in the terms and conditions I am supposed to read and rules are rules, but I still think it stinks.

That's my rant.

Wouldn't losing the $50.00 really amount to less than a name change fee? Since you only paid $100 for her to join you it sounds like you got a good deal, plus she is cancelling after final payment was due so I would of thought you would be out her entire fare?

Your other option would be to let your friend book a cabin as a single and then once onboard, change your daughter over to that cabin.

That is what to do.

Your friend can even go to the office and get your DD a key card for that cabin.

HOWEVER, dear friend will be paying single supplement for that cabin and that will a whole lot more than $99.

Your other option would be to let your friend book a cabin as a single and then once onboard, change your daughter over to that cabin.

Best answer!
I'm not sure how this is the best answer. I always thought solos paid a double fare. Is that not the case? Please explain to me how this would be a better answer.

Again, its not a big deal, I know its the rules, I know its technically a last minute cancel (Well I dont agree with this because we are bookng another cabin for her) and I know its probably spelled out in the Terms I agreed to read. I would have no problem with it if we just cancelled her. I would have no problem sacrificing the entire fare if we just cancelled. But we didn't just cancel, we cancelled and rebooked her in another cabin at a much higher fare. And brought another full fare paying passenger on board. I guess you can rationalize that they would have eventually sold that cabin to two other people and still had dd on board and that is true.

In reality, I don't even have a problem with what they did. I just think its not a very pleasant thing to do and just gives me a bit of a sour taste in my mouth.

That is what to do.

Your friend can even go to the office and get your DD a key card for that cabin.

HOWEVER, dear friend will be paying single supplement for that cabin and that will a whole lot more than $99.

What is the single supplement? Is it less than the full double occupancy fare? I didn't think it was.

To be honest, even if it would be cheaper, I think its a bit of an underhanded thing to do. I'll just keep it the way is. Just wanted to rant a little. That's all. ;)

I'm not sure how this is the best answer. I always thought solos paid a double fare. Is that not the case? Please explain to me how this would be a better answer.

Again, its not a big deal, I know its the rules, I know its technically a last minute cancel (Well I dont agree with this because we are bookng another cabin for her) and I know its probably spelled out in the Terms I agreed to read. I would have no problem with it if we just cancelled her. I would have no problem sacrificing the entire fare if we just cancelled. But we didn't just cancel, we cancelled and rebooked her in another cabin at a much higher fare. And brought another full fare paying passenger on board. I guess you can rationalize that they would have eventually sold that cabin to two other people and still had dd on board and that is true.

In reality, I don't even have a problem with what they did. I just think its not a very pleasant thing to do and just gives me a bit of a sour taste in my mouth.

You should price it out, because the single fare is not always 200%.

What is the single supplement? Is it less than the full double occupancy fare? I didn't think it was.

To be honest, even if it would be cheaper, I think its a bit of an underhanded thing to do. I'll just keep it the way is. Just wanted to rant a little. That's all. ;)

That is what your TA is for.

Let him/her get and work the numbers.

You should price it out, because the single fare is not always 200%.

I'd be beyond shocked if it wasn't 200% this close to the cruise.

Unfortunately HAL looks upon this situation as a cancellation even though it isn't. I wonder if the TA is mistaken because I'd be very surprised if all cruise lines don't do this. Sometimes people make up things they know aren't true. I have no experience with this situation so it could be true.

Its already done and paid for. I would not feel right about booking a solo and then moving DD over on the sly. To me, that just seems really wrong. I have no problem paying her fare. I just didn't like the cancellation fee.

They don't care in the least on the ship who sleeps where.

They will happily provide your DD with a key card to the room if dear friend authorizes them to.

That is NOT on the sly.

I don't know, but couldn't HAL of just left her booked in the original room and also booked her in the second room? Or will they not do that because of Mariner points? Is there a rule that says you can't be booked in two rooms at the same time?

What if you wanted more space and decided to book adjoining cabins? Not that it is likely to happen, but it could.

As Tim said, the damage is done, but to me that would make sense if it is possible.

PS-of course then he would of gotten no refund, but it makes for an interesting question, to me.

That's my rant.

I'm with you. Ranting is good for the soul. I remember when "The customer is always right" was taken seriously. Most business squabbles amount to greed versus just plain doing the right thing, "policy" be damned. But never expect a cruise line to see a passenger as an individual who has a reasonable request. We're big fat dollar signs for them to gobble up...all of which I've learned to accept on my 25 or 30 cruises much as it turns my stomach. I just close my eyes, zip my purse and enjoy the deep blue sea...and not have to wash dishes!

MMC

I don't know, but couldn't HAL of just left her booked in the original room and also booked her in the second room? Or will they not do that because of Mariner points? Is there a rule that says you can't be booked in two rooms at the same time?

What if you wanted more space and decided to book adjoining cabins? Not that it is likely to happen, but it could.

As Tim said, the damage is done, but to me that would make sense if it is possible.

PS-of course then he would of gotten no refund, but it makes for an interesting question, to me.

U.S. Coast Guard and Homeland Security could have a problem with a manifest that shows the same person listed twice.

Personally if I paid the single supp price I'd want the room to myself. That said, I do not get energy from being around people, I get it from being alone. I realize not everyone is like that.
Well, had we chosen that route, I would not have expected her to pay the single supplement. In fact, I would have taken whatever the bottom line fare would have been and paid half of that.

U.S. Coast Guard and Homeland Security could have a problem with a manifest that shows the same person listed twice.

I don't understand why Homeland Security would even care. I am sure famous people rent a block of rooms and or cabins just to keep the curious away. It would be easy to explain if there was a question.

Archived