Thomson Platinum

higher prices, same old noisy/vibrating single cabin locations :mad:

with the higher prices can now get better deals elsewhere :)

Celebrations wobble is still there, they won't have fixed that as to do so would cost more than the ship is worth.

Could you elaborate on the characteristics that will differentiate the Platinum product from the "standard" one?

As far as I can make out it is simply Thomson's description for the Celebration and Dream post-refurbs. These refurbs some would say are fairly long overdue and only what you might reasonably expect to find on board e.g tea and coffee making facilities in the cabins. Other up-grades include flat screen TVs, new cabin lay-out, decor, furnishings and fabrics.

I don't think there is a difference between Platinum and standard. You either book on Celebration or Dream and get the Platinum product i.e up-graded cabin and public areas as compared with the other Thomson ships (Spirit and Majesty). But it's basically really just cosmetic.

You can of course book different category cabins which will bring something better than the standard cabins on any of the ships but I believe Thomson have only introduced this description to differentiate between two of their ships which are being given a face-lift as compared with the other two.

If you are looking for a premium cruise line with enhanced facilities etc, Thomson isn't the place to look. Thomson ships are dated so whatever they do however attractive and welcome won't convert them into all-singing, all-dancing, glitzy, ice-bar/golf course/ice rink type attractions with shopping malls and wow factor types of experiences. Their strength is in atmosphere, ambience, service, friendly passengers and crew and entertainment - and not the ships or facilities. But Thomson does have a very loyal following especially amongst British cruisers who enjoy the typically British offerings (food, entertainment, friendliness and on-board welcome and warmth).

I wasn't sure why your interest was piqued in relation to Thomson as we don't often get many posts from the US so I don't know whether you are researching ships sailing from the UK or if the port-intensive interesting Med itineraries have grabbed your attention. So if you have any more specific interest in Thomson, I'm sure we'll be able to help and advise - it's a really friendly forum - but in the meantime I hope this helps. :)

Guessing here - they'll spruce up the cabins, provide kettles, install better quality TVs as well as refurbishing public areas with new furniture and other similar improvements.

Maybe up the luggage weight allowances and other tinkering with the overall package deal to make it more attractive.

As Dave says, they can't make the ships any younger, bigger or add major facilities etc.

Basically a makeover to tart up the ships, as an excuse to bump up prices.

Or am I a cynic ?

When i booked the Dream for Oct 13 the prices didnt seem any higher than had been in the past. Hard to say i know but for what we paid for 2 weeks ( 1 week cruise, deck 9, all inc followed by a weeks stay ) i thought it was quite good. Did compare to P&O at the time and could have got a 12 night in a balcony cabin on Oceana for a similar price , about 10% more but itinerary wasnt quite as good and 2 days less holiday although would have been all on the ship etc... but i really wanted to try the Dream so more than happy.

To elaborate what i wrote about higher prices.

A 14 night cruise on Dream next July single cabin is currently £2476 with the AI package available for £138.

A 14 night cruise on P&O Oceana W. Med next July single occupancy in double inside cost me £2063 plus £290 obc

That is £703 difference :eek::eek::eek:

Guessing here - they'll spruce up the cabins, provide kettles, install better quality TVs as well as refurbishing public areas with new furniture and other similar improvements.

Maybe up the luggage weight allowances and other tinkering with the overall package deal to make it more attractive.

As Dave says, they can't make the ships any younger, bigger or add major facilities etc.

Or am I a cynic ?

And less choice on AI drinks package,dare I say a watered down version ;)

When i booked the Dream for Oct 13 the prices didnt seem any higher than had been in the past. Hard to say i know but for what we paid for 2 weeks ( 1 week cruise, deck 9, all inc followed by a weeks stay ) i thought it was quite good. Did compare to P&O at the time and could have got a 12 night in a balcony cabin on Oceana for a similar price , about 10% more but itinerary wasnt quite as good and 2 days less holiday although would have been all on the ship etc... but i really wanted to try the Dream so more than happy.

Ditto

Our cruise next year is actually less than what we paid this year.

We are about to book a 7 night cruise on the Dream for 26 October next year.

This is actually over 150 Pounds UK cheaper than we paid for May this year.

I agree prices don't seem to have gone up. You will be getting on as we get off :):)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

higher prices, same old noisy/vibrating single cabin locations :mad:

with the higher prices can now get better deals elsewhere :)

Celebrations wobble is still there, they won't have fixed that as to do so would cost more than the ship is worth.

Hi this is to davecttr i have been looking at the Celebration and Dream for next July are the single cabins really bad? I am a light sleeper and cannot stand vibration (had enough of this on the Majesty) I love the Itineraries on both ships but worry about the cabin

Hi this is to davecttr i have been looking at the Celebration and Dream for next July are the single cabins really bad? I am a light sleeper and cannot stand vibration (had enough of this on the Majesty) I love the Itineraries on both ships but worry about the cabin

I have cruised on Celebration and Spirit in single cabins and IMO they are more suitable for those with a higher than normal tolerance for noise/vibration. They are in blocks back beside the machinery spaces and when the ships were built they were crew cabins.

My worst experience was on Spirit this summer (575) when on a couple of nights it was like being inside a cement mixer, with no water :eek:

I have cruised on Dream but not in a single cabin so can't help with that one. I might try Dream but am not willing to spend thousands to find out what the single cabins are like.

I am cruising on Majesty next Feb and am alarmed that you found Majesty uncomfortable, what cabin were you in?

This will be my first time on the DREAM - 1 weeks stay in Alcudia (AI) and 1 week cruise 1st sept - upgraded from deck 4 to deck 7 outside - got AI package for free and TA also gave me the prebooked cabin for free

Did RCCL this year for 1 week, and it was more expensive than the Dream for next year

Or am I a cynic ?

Luggage allowance still the same for Celebration 20kg Cruise and Stay, 25 would be better:)

Archived