Wonderful Freedom- Nov 4th

bossymama

Our group of family and friends, 28 of us ranging in age from 2 years old to 75 years old, all met at the Radisson Resort near Port Canaveral the night before our cruise. It is a very nice hotel, with beautiful grounds and pool area. The only flaw was the sleep number bed controls. I had never used one before and didn't understand how to use it, but was too tired to bother to call the front desk and ask. It felt like a concrete slab by the morning! My own fault for not looking at it before going to bed and figuring out how to use it. In the morning I found out I was not the only one who had trouble. The shuttle from the hotel to the port was quick and easy, with 16 of us going early (10:30) and the other 12 following a little later (12:00). I did wish they had a complimentary breakfast, but McDonalds was right across the road, for a quick cup of tea, and my family (consisting of DH, 2 DD and 1 daughter’s boyfriend) chose to wait and eat once on the ship.

Once we got to the port we got in the building fairly quickly, but it slowed considerably at security. I had read here on a cruise critic board that RCI had changed their alcohol policy as of the 1st of November, and were allowing 2 bottles of wine per stateroom. Sounding too good to be true, I called RCI myself on the 2nd, and spoke with a rep who confirmed this was true. Of course I let everyone in my party know this right away, so each cabin had their 2 bottles in their suitcases. Well, someone forgot to tell the security at the port, because they took all of our wine, and were getting very upset (and some very rude) when we tried to tell them it was allowed. So many people (besides us) had wine that the tables at security were overflowing. I think they finally realized they had an issue on their hands. Everyone in my party did end up getting their wine back about 2 days in to the cruise, with an apology.

Our group had cabins in every category, from 4 insides on deck 9, balconies on deck 8 and 9, a small ocean view on deck 9,(really, really small!) a family ocean view at the front of the ship on deck 9 , to a grand suite and an owners suite on deck 10. All were nice and well cared for by the house keeping staff.

One thing I did learn, I will never get a room at the very front again. We (my husband and I) were travelling with the aforementioned 2 daughters (20 and 17) younger daughters boyfriend (19) and my nephew (17) bunked in our cabin as well. There was plenty of closet space, (3 of them) drawers and shelves (not that they used any of them, like most teens, stuff ended up in piles on the floor!). The boys found the bunk beds too small, and one or the other was always hitting themselves on the ceiling or the wall, or the railing. DD's thought the pull-out was a bit lumpy and had a hollow spot on the middle. My husband and I loved our king sized bed, having only a queen sized at home, and our half of the room was very spacious. It would be better with small children and not 6 full grown people. The reason I wouldn't stay at front again is the movement! I take bonine for the motion sickness, and while it usually does the trick, we had 2 days that were very windy-65 miles an hour, they closed the pool deck one evening it was so bad. The rocking at front was almost more than I could bear. For anyone thinking of booking this room, take it into consideration.

The food in the dining room was excellent; I have no idea why people compare it to cafeteria food. I enjoyed everything I had. It was all very nicely presented, and there was always more it you wanted it. Maybe I am just easy to please, since I didn't have to cook it or clean up after! All 28 in our party felt the same way.

My husband and I loved the size of the Freedom. We have been on the Enchantment twice, and Adventure and the NCL Pearl. We find the older ships a bit too small, and love the Promenade on the bigger ships. (One reason we have not gone on another NCL, just seems like it is missing something.)

All the shows were very well done, especially the ice show. Almost everyone in our party went to all the shows and the feedback was same from all. (I can't say too much, as I have a tendency to doze off in the middle of every show for 10 minutes or so, and get teased about it!)

Our 3 port days were CocoCay, St. Thomas and St. Maartin. Coco Cay was very brown, not lush and green, due to Sandy, but it will come back and be lovely again. The 4 teens tried the inflated water slide, water trampoline, etc, and had a great time. No jelly fish stings that I had read about on other other boards. They thought it was worth the $30, and all were exhausted by the end of the day! On St. Thomas we took a snorkel tour with Captain Mike and Fury charters. It was lovely, but unfortunately, 3 in our party of 18 were a bit seasick due to the waves. Captain Mike was very nice, funny, and informative. First mate Nikki was great, getting in the water with us to show us lots of sea turtles, sea urchins, fish, coral reef, sting rays, and anything else she could find. Nothing was too much trouble for them. Captain Mike kept the 2 older ladies (75 and 70) in our party, who chose not to get in the water, entertained and well hydrated. In St. Maartin, we did a little shopping, and then 9 of us took a taxi bus to Orient Beach. We love it there; saw 1 topless lady (about 60 years old, so you can guess where the "girls" sat, yeah down around her midriff) and my mother got to cross something off of her bucket list. She always wanted to try a jet ski, so mom, husband, and 2 daughters rented a couple jet skis for 30 minutes. She loved it! Of course, she never got faster than about 12 miles/hour, but I give her credit for doing it at 73 years old!

I have no comment about the Adventure ocean program, or the tots at sea program. The teens in our group entertained each other (there were 6 in all). The parents of the 2 year old travelling in our group chose to keep her with them all the time, with Granma and Grandpa and Aunt and Uncle taking turns babysitting for an hour here and there.

I used the fitness area, taking 3 boxing classes. There were 5 of us the first class, another 5 the second class, and I ended up with a private lesson for the last class as no one else showed up! This is a shout-out to Kieran (spelling?) from England, who instructed, he was great. I have been taking aero-kick boxing for many years, but he really worked me hard!

We would definitely cruise the Freedom again. I chose this itinerary thinking that more sea days would be relaxing, but found it to be the opposite. I missed the port days, and would take a cruise with no less than 4 next time. The ship is in beautiful shape, with the crew working very hard to keep her that way.

We were on the same sailing! I have to agree with you on the number of seas days. I was kinda bored by the last day after three (I couldn't imagine 4 if they skipped Coco Cay!). It could have something to do with the weather the last two days though - clouds and high winds make lounging around the pool a bummer so I felt like I was indoors too much!

We were on the same sailing! I have to agree with you on the number of seas days. I was kinda bored by the last day after three (I couldn't imagine 4 if they skipped Coco Cay!).!

This actually happened on my Freedom Eastern Carib. cruise in April and i can tell you for sure that 4.5 days at sea is TOO MANY for a 7 night cruise LOL :eek:

The boxing classes were $15 each or 3 for $40. The fitness centre had a change room, with 5 big shower stalls in each. The teens travelling with us often ran up the 2 flights of stairs to use the showers there, instead of the 6 of us all waiting for the 1 shower in the room.

My daughter's boyfriend got himself a diamond stud, and a lovely blue topaz pendant for his mother. The earring he bought at Balllerina (we have family that shop there every time they are on the island, and find them trustworthy), but I can'"t remember what store he got the pendant at. Cousin bought herself a diamond and blue diamond bracelet, matches the engagement ring, and wedding bands she got there 5 years ago for about a third of the price you would pay in Canada. (had the rings appraised at home, and were worth 3x what she paid)

Archived