Any Old Trip Reports/Memories/Photos on SS NORWAY ?

F27TW

We were fortunate to be able to celebrate our 10th anniversary in 1986 aboard the Norway. We splurged for a suit (one of only 6). They were aft and at the end of the suite hallway there was a small really unused and unknown deck overlooking the basketball court. A private retreat to be sure (perhaps the forerunner.of The Haven!) We had cocktails out there most evenings.

The suite staterooms were quite large with big verandas directly overlooking the life boats. The evening of the Captain's Vow Renewal Ceremony we and 2 other friends who cruised with us, had a 5 course meal served course by course on our veranda while we figured out how at the end of our cruise we could stowaway in the lifeboat swaying right beside our balcony.

There was a consierge assigned to these 6 cabins and he would personally escourt you on a tour of the Bridge, the kitchens etc. I do remember one special cabin he showed us that was an inside one with a porthole high up in the wall . When we peered through it one could see legs kicking in the water and we realized it was a porthole looking into the bottom section of the indoor swimming pool. Not sure what the inhabitants did for some privacy since surely someone could dive down and peek at them as well!

That was our most extravagant cruise ever and one that will always epitomize "high cruising as it once was".

Now of course, we enjoy the casual cruise life and would not think of dressing formally every night....nor could we afford the extra airline baggage charge!

We were fortunate to be able to celebrate our 10th anniversary in 1986 aboard the Norway. We splurged for a suit (one of only 6). They were aft and at the end of the suite hallway there was a small really unused and unknown deck overlooking the basketball court. A private retreat to be sure (perhaps the forerunner.of The Haven!) We had cocktails out there most evenings.

The suite staterooms were quite large with big verandas directly overlooking the life boats. The evening of the Captain's Vow Renewal Ceremony we and 2 other friends who cruised with us, had a 5 course meal served course by course on our veranda while we figured out how at the end of our cruise we could stowaway in the lifeboat swaying right beside our balcony.

There was a consierge assigned to these 6 cabins and he would personally escourt you on a tour of the Bridge, the kitchens etc. I do remember one special cabin he showed us that was an inside one with a porthole high up in the wall . When we peered through it one could see legs kicking in the water and we realized it was a porthole looking into the bottom section of the indoor swimming pool. Not sure what the inhabitants did for some privacy since surely someone could dive down and peek at them as well!

That was our most extravagant cruise ever and one that will always epitomize "high cruising as it once was".

Now of course, we enjoy the casual cruise life and would not think of dressing formally every night....nor could we afford the extra airline baggage charge!

There was another thread on here about a year ago that had a bunch of pictures of the whole ship including the pool and that interior area where you could look through the glass into the pool. I can't remember the exact member, but they had a ton of pictures if you try a search.

There was another thread on here about a year ago that had a bunch of pictures of the whole ship including the pool and that interior area where you could look through the glass into the pool. I can't remember the exact member, but they had a ton of pictures if you try a search.

Thanks, I will do a search!

We have a video taken by my DH's cousin of the pool through the portholes in the hidden room. It was so funny being "voyeurs", watching the people in the pool. Also have video of that really long passageway that looks like the ship was actually twisting from side to side as we walked along. Again, to repeat myself, what a fantastic experience to have sailed on this special ship twice.

Don't think there are any other ships out there still sailing today that could match the SS Norway.

Thanks to those who posted the links for the cruise during 9/11 and the footage from the Today show. Great to see!

If memory serves, strickly by individual personal choice. No automatic daily deductions, in fact I am not even sure one had an account, rather we paid cash for drinks etc.

On the last evening just an envelope handed to waiter, bus boy, and cabin attendant with a note thanking them for the wonderful service.

A few lines prided themselves in having no tipping allowed!( most passengers did however do so privately) . On most lines Ship officers including dining room managers, concierge, pursers,etc. absolutely refused tips.

On some lines you paid a fee for an assigned deck chair and of course no safes in cabins so long lines at the purser's office every evening before dinner, in order to ask for your jewelry bag to be taken out of the ship safe , that evening's baubles selected, and later the process reversed.

Fascinating thread. Ty all who contributed! I have a question; how did they handle tipping on this ship back in the '80's?

I found out the hard way. The last day envelopes showed up in your room to fill with cash. There was a list of suggested tips for cabin steward $4/day waiter $3/day, asst waiter $2/day, head waiter $1/day etc With no ATM finding that much cash was a real challenge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

I sailed twice on the S.S. France (does that count?!).

It was business related (relocated to France for business) and we were in First Class. Talk about spoiled!

On our return trip we sailed with our cat. There was a really cool "kennel", full of pax's cats and dogs, including a walking area with a fake hydrant for the pampered pooches.

• 4 weeks later...

Wife and I sailed on the SS Norway in 1987. 7 days out of Miami to St.Thomas, St marteen etc. Celebrated our 10 th anniversary, and renewed our vows. Sat at the captains table one night. What a beautiful ship. We are 35 years married and still cruising. Sept 20 on Carnival Sunshine then TA back to the State, can't wait !!!

I was on the Norway twice-- once in 1987, which was my 1st cruise, and again in 1989. Oh, cruising was soooo much different than it is today! The biggest difference, I think, is that everyone got dressed up for dinner every night. Not as fancy as the formal nights, when people REALLY got dressed up, but certainly dressier than these days. I think I wore a slacks outfit one night, and dresses every other night.

For dinner, there was one option, and one option only: the MDR. No buffet. No specialty restaurants (at least, back in the 80s). There may have been room service, but I vaguely recall that it cost extra-- not sure about that. Two seatings-- early and late. And no one was allowed to be in any public area in shorts or bathing suits after 6 p.m. Amazing!

They had a fabulous theater and performed real Broadway shows. On my first cruise, it was "Barnum," but I don't recall what it was the 2nd cruise. There were other production shows, with singers and dancers, as well. And each cruise had a "name" act onboard who performed once or twice. On our first cruise, it was Red Buttons (people knew him back in the day!), and Phyllis Diller had been on the week before our cruise. By our 2nd Norway cruise, they no longer had that. (And the lottery ticket-selling had begun!)

I've been on many cruises since then, but no ship has ever compared to the beautiful S.S. Norway!

We were on this ship in 1986 first cruise but not last Though was several years later we started again.

I remember dressing for dinner also. Plus they came to the table and made cherries jubilee and crepes suzette and the best ceasar salad ever. I was expecting our first child (5 months) and the waiter spoiled me with anything I wanted even items not on the menu (made to order) ships are to large now for one on one service. Though I have always on any line had excellent service. I also remember a bridge tour my husband loved it. Remember the loungers on the deck you could sit for hours. We had a port hole cabin so spent a lot of time in this area away from the pool so peaceful. Wonderful memories of our first cruise.

The Norway was our first cruise and got me hooked. We sailed in February 2003; a family vacation with my parents, myself, DS, DD, and they each brought a friend. We had two quad inside cabins which were quite large and the entire cost was only $1900 for all seven of us!!!

The kids loved the Mexican snacks set out in the Sports Bar at 4:00 everyday; I think the boys ate two dinners each day!! I really enjoyed the Outdoor dining that overlooked the pool. They had the best buffets poolside everyday; I seem to remember huge kettle grills located in about four different places around the pool where you could get various kinds of grilled meats at lunch time. I also remember the waiters parading around the dining room on the last evening with trays of flaming baked Alaska at the end of dinner. The maitre 'd came and got my 22 year old DD to lead the parade with him...boy, was she embarrassed!:eek:

All in all, we had a fabulous cruise...since it was our first, we didn't notice any negatives about the ship. We were amazed and thrilled with everything! She sure was a grand old lady! I'd sail her again in a minute if I could!

My only disappointment is that I didn't pick up a ship model when we sailed; I have one of every ship we've been on except for that one...and I can't find one anywhere. I've checked Ebay...if anyone has any ideas as to where I can get one, I'd appreciate it!

~Joanne

The S.S. Norway was my first cruise experience in 1981. My college TA class fam trip. What an experience! Phyllis Diller was the entertainer for the week. Our stops included St. Thomas & Norwegian's private island. We had to be tendered into St. Thomas. We had class on board & interview assignments with crew & fellow passengers. I remember the room with the port hole view into the pool. I thought this room was part of the disco. Most of us had tiny inside rooms with bunk beds. We had to pay cash for drinks & tips. I have very few pictures as my camera got wet but will never forget my first cruise.

Brenda

We were in St. Thomas during July/August of 2000 and the Norway was in the harbor. That was the day the cruise bug hit me! Later that day we had dinner on the beach and watched the cruise ships line up to sail away. I remember watching until I could no longer see lights from the ships.

Always wanted to sail on the Norway and was disappointed when she met her end...........so sad. Wish there was another like her, but seems like those days are gone.

Edited by kcwingwalker
typo

This time I have a quick question. Why do I see the SS Norway on the NCL board often? I thought this was a RCCL ship? All I still have is a few generic pictures and a bear (or mouse) with the RCCL anchor symbol oh and a matchbook. Didn't smoke at the time due to expecting first child, but grab one anyhow as I recall these were everywhere (and free :))

This time I have a quick question. Why do I see the SS Norway on the NCL board often? I thought this was a RCCL ship? All I still have is a few generic pictures and a bear (or mouse) with the RCCL anchor symbol oh and a matchbook. Didn't smoke at the time due to expecting first child, but grab one anyhow as I recall these were everywhere (and free :))

She was an NCL ship.

We sailed on her in 2001 with our 15 year old daughter. We loved the ice cream bar and the promenade deck and the lovely theater. Our daughter danced in the guest's talent show. Fun memories of a grand lady.

SSNORWAY2.jpg

Edited by Vol fan

My first experience sailing was on the Norway was back in 1984. We absolutely loved it so for the next 15 years we sailed only on her. We just couldn't bring ourselves to sail on another ship. We made friends with the crew and even those we didn't know would remember us from year to year. The first 2 years we had the same cabins, waiters, table in the dining room. It was the best. There will never be another Norway--a true ship. We were all treated like royalty and it really did spoil us. Sailing these past years has been an adjustment from the past. Those that never experienced this type of sailing will never know what was missed. Memories I will never forget. I loved the Norway--very special.

My DH sailed on her before we were married. His brother won the cruise but couldn't go so DH and his mother went. In the fall of 1985 (the year we married), he took me on my first cruise on the Norway. What a beautiful ship! We had an inside "cabin" (I put that in quotes because it was by far the tiniest cabin I have ever seen. It was basically wall-to-wall bed). I remember this cruise so well. Absolutely loved the promenade on that ship. We were sitting out there one afternoon playing cards and up walkes James Worthy. He asked if he could join us and down he sat. I was young and easily star-struck then and my DH was (and still is) a sport's nut. It was the absolute ultimate for him.

Funny thing.......just before we left, I got sick and had to be started on antibiotics. I decided to use the ear patch to help with sea sickness. About three days into the cruise I wasn't getting any better. Went to see the ship doctor and the first thing he does is look behind my ear and take the patch off. Amazing, within 24 hours I was so much better. We docked back in Miami and were getting ready to leave our cabin to disembark when I get horribly sick. Who gets seasick AFTER you've docked? About two weeks later, we found out why.....I was pregnant! Needless to say, we have wonderful memories of the Norway!

I do remember having to tender in to St Thomas and also into Nassau. Nassau was expecting a visit from the Queen the week after we were there and was incredibly clean and beautiful (been there many times since and have never again seen it quite like that). What a view that was coming back on the tender and seeing that magnificent ship anchored in the distance. Great memories! Thanks for bringing this thread back!

We sailed on the Norway twice. The first time we were booked on Disney for a second time, but NCL ran a wonderful sale--the third and fourth person in a cabin sailed for free paying only taxes and port fees. Four of us were able to sail for cost of one on Disney! NCL gained a loyal customer and fan. The second time, the upsell fairy visited and we were able to upgrade to a two bedroom suite. I remember being disappointed at first that we didn't have one of the suites with balcony (these upper decks were added, not part of original ship). We were in one of the two original suites (Presidential Suite) the other was the Royal Suite. It only had a large picture window. Two full bathrooms with tub and shower, large living room and a large dining room. The hallway door led into a spacious entry way and the door to our cabin. Just a few sailings later, the boiler exploded.

• 2 years later...

We were on the Norway's final cruise and had a very large suite. The cruise was great fun. The last evening, in the main lounge, they played throughout the night old film footage of the Norway's maiden voyage. That was very cool.

The next morning was a blur and the result was, sadly, that we were on her last voyage.