Alaska - Diamond/Sapphire/Coral or Island?

emeltee

I've narrowed down which itinerary we want for our Alaska one-way trip next summer. However, I'm not quite sure of the differences in the ships.

I understand that the Diamond & Sapphire are bigger ships than the Island & Coral. What does that translate to for an Alaskan cruise?

We will be a group of 7 travelers, ranging in age from 4 to 80, incl 2 youngsters and 2 seniors. Most likely, we'll shoot for 2 connecting minisuites.

Itinerary aside, which ship would you choose and why?

Thanks!

I've narrowed down which itinerary we want for our Alaska one-way trip next summer. However, I'm not quite sure of the differences in the ships.

I understand that the Diamond & Sapphire are bigger ships than the Island & Coral. What does that translate to for an Alaskan cruise?

We will be a group of 7 travelers, ranging in age from 4 to 80, incl 2 youngsters and 2 seniors. Most likely, we'll shoot for 2 connecting minisuites.

Itinerary aside, which ship would you choose and why?

Thanks!

The Island/Coral are actually as long as the Diamond/Sapphire just not as wide.

Only 1900 passengers on the Coral/Island.

There are a few true interior door connecting balcony cabins on all 4 ships but no Princess ships have connecting mini suites other then the balcony.

Most balcony cabins have a small outside 3ft partition that can be opened between each cabin.

We've been on the Coral twice (Alaska), the Island once (Panama Canal) and the Sapphire once (Pacific coastal). We like them all but prefer the smaller Coral or Island for Alaska all things being equal. To me 'all things' is the time in port -- pick whichever gives you the most time because there is so much to do. Have a great time - it is a spectacular cruise.

Have sailed on the Island and Coral, as well as the Sapphire. I would take the Island or Coral again. I prefer the smaller size, less people, and the layout. The other thing was the dinning rooms. On Sapphire, they had 4 anytime dinning rooms (basically the normal sized dining rooms on a Grand Class, cut in half) and it was more of a problem to get bigger table and getting seated. Granted there is still the other traditional dinning room, but in Alaska, a fixed time for dinner is not preferred (you never know when you might be around whales or other scenic areas at the time) Island Coral, has 2 dinning rooms, one traditional, the other anytime. Worked better for us. The other thing is that with the smaller size and less people, the decks are less crowded. Coral and Island also have to decks at the front of the ship you can get on on the Caribe & Baja decks which are nice to be able to go on when you are headed into Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier. The other big difference is that the Coral and Island do not have a dedicated night club (Skywalkers) like the Sapphire does. The ships go to all the same places, so there is really no difference in that. Granted, I would said and any of the ships going to Alaska again. It is all about seeing the beauty of Alaska.

IMHO, the Sapphire has the most wow factor of the three that I have been on (Island, Coral and Sapphire). Sapphire also has lovely dining rooms (love the smaller dining rooms) and we never had a problem with anytime dining, which we did on both Island and Coral as they each only have one anytime dining room. We also LOVE the International Cafe' which the others do not have and also loved the pizzeria with made to order Brick oven pizza in a restaurant seating. Tasted like we were in Italy!! We also enjoy sitting in the Piazza, and enjoy the Piazza entertainment, and the Sapphire has a much larger central piazza area than the others...matter of fact I don't remember the Island or Coral having much in the lower lobby area other than a small bar. I remember having difficulty even finding a place to sit down when we were waiting for a table for anytime dining on Island and Coral.

For me, if picking the ship based on the ship itself and nothing more,hands down the Sapphire!!!

Not to worry, you can't make a bad choice.

This itinerary is so fantastic, it is good on any ship.

Most people will recommend the Coral and Island, but also consider which dates work best for your group. You can't go wrong.

I have been on 11 Alaska cruises, on 5 different ships. Fab!

Go for it!

Bon voyage:)

I would say just pick the date, price, and ports you love. IMHO except for the Princess small ships like the Pacific they are all pretty much the same to me. Some might have a few more people on them some ships might be a bit wider or longer but Princess does a pretty good job of keeping them all the same. For me I have never felt over crowded on any of them. Some poeple might disagree. Since you are with a big family you will probably really like the international court in the Atrium. Something for all ages. The Coral and Island do not have the new Piazza/Atrium and it is fun for the kids to watch the small shows they have their. It will/could be cool out so always good to have an inside space to sit. I've been on all 4 ships and I would have to say the Sapphire is a good choice.Sounds like a great family vacation. Have fun. You will not make a bad choice.

All four are beautiful ships. I would make the choice based on itinerary and cost.

Agree with the above poster. We have been to Alaska on the Coral, Diamond, and Golden. All had something unique and special.

Choose by times in the ports and each ship schedule. All will provide a great cruise.

We have done Alaska on the Coral and the Golden. The Coral/Island appear to have been designed more for scenic viewing. Rather than cabins aft there are nice viewing areas as well as on several decks forward. One drawback for a family is that the covered pool on the Coral/Island is marked adults only although that is not always strictly enforced.

Sapphire currently has the WOW factor with the revised Piazza with the IC and Alfredo's Pizza. Diamond won't get those mods until the Spring of 2014. I have been told by one of the officers on the Coral that should know that she will get an IC during her January 2013 drydock, but one never knows until the drydock is completed.

Archived