Passport card advantage?

lola4795

What is the advantage of having a passport card over a birth certificate? We need to get something for our boys ages 13 & 16. Passports are so pricey that dh thinks we should just get passport cards.

But, I don't understand the whole passport card thing. Why are they better than a bc?

We live near the Canadian border and Passport cards are encouraged here, or enchanced driver's licenses. But, we have regular passports so we have not added passport cards or enchanced licenses. Just an extra expense that is worthless if you already have a passport.

What is the advantage of having a passport card over a birth certificate? We need to get something for our boys ages 13 & 16. Passports are so pricey that dh thinks we should just get passport cards.

But, I don't understand the whole passport card thing. Why are they better than a bc?

as long as your cruise departs an arrives at the same port (closed loop cruise), you can cruise with birth certificates. Passport cards are not worth the money. You can't fly internationally with them

Passport cards are only useful in WHTI (Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative) countries (US, Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and the most of the Caribbean) and then only for land and sea entry points.

If you want to be able to fly or take a cruise that visits a non-WHTI country (e.g. Costa Rica, Panama, Columbia, Italy, Spain, etc.) better to get a passport book.

But flying is the real issue. Say you have a need to cut a cruise short due to some emergency, unless the next port is US territory, you'll need a passport book or you'll end up spending a fair bit of time sorting things out before you will be able to board a plane.

It's my opinion that unless one frequently crosses overland into Canada or Mexico, a passport card is unlikely to be a good choice. If you don't expect your children to do much more than a Caribbean cruise every year or so and you don't want to invest in passport books, stick with using their birth certificates.

I grew up traveling, so I feel more comfortable with a passport book when I leave the country. I think they are a very good investment. Your 16 year old would get a 10 year passport, which makes the investment more reasonable. None the less, it is a big investment if you only plan to cruise once or twice in the next five or so years.

no advantage plus you'll be out the cost of the passport cards.

The 16 year old will need a photo ID .

Bill

Birth Certificate = works but is paper, and you must be careful that it meets all the "new" requirements. Can not be used as an official ID.

Passport Card = convenient because it looks like a drivers license, and is a passport, but only good in North America including the islands if you are traveling by boat. Not good for other international travel or flying.

Passport book = used for all international travel.

If you get one, you should get both at the same time, because it is a big discount. Advantage of the card is because you leave the ship, it is very convenient to carry, and it can get wet, so you can always have it on you, even when swimming. I find this to be a very important reason to have it because most people take their passport and leave it in the room, which makes it useless. If you only have the card on you, it makes it easier to get back home by plane. Some people say it is a waste of money, but I don't believe it.

If you want to be able to fly or take a cruise that visits a non-WHTI country (e.g. Costa Rica, Panama, Columbia, Italy, Spain, etc.) better to get a passport book.

Costa Rica, Panama and Columbia are part of the western hemisphere. Closed-loop cruises from the USA that visit them do not require any special documents. A Panama Canal transit that begins on one coast and ends on the other usually visits these countries. Such cruises do require passports or passport cards as they are not closed-loop cruises.

Costa Rica, Panama and Columbia are part of the western hemisphere. Closed-loop cruises from the USA that visit them do not require any special documents. A Panama Canal transit that begins on one coast and ends on the other usually visits these countries. Such cruises do require passports or passport cards as they are not closed-loop cruises.

They were not on the list I was looking at. Although I do see Costa Rica and Panama in Wikipedia as "not mentioned by State Department". Do you have a link?

If a Panama Canal transit is not closed-loop does that mean that passports are required for re-entry into the US, i.e. birth certificates are insufficient?

We all have our opinions for what we prefer and why and why others are not as good as ours. I have a passport because I am Canadian and have to have one for travel outside of Canada - whether it be land, sea or air. I am one of those people who take my PP with me when I get off the ship - I paid for the sucker, why would I leave it in the safe where it is doing me no darn good if I need it. Ya, some one can steal it just like they can steal my passport card, credit cards, cash, S&S card, BC etc.

If I were an American and had no intention to travel internationally, other than closed loop cruises, I would go with the passport card. Like another person said, there are so many issues with birth certificates - where they were issued, who issued them, do they have a watermark and on and on. When the kids are adults they can buy their own passport if they wish to travel abroad. Just my 2 cents

The agent we worked with suggest we get the card as well as the passport... Which I realize isn't what you are asking butt .... Here is why and this does apply. In our case she suggested that once we are on board put the passport in the safe. Carry the card while off the ship in case we have any issue. We are military and in some cases having that ID can put us in danger. So the $30 extra bucks didn't seem so bad. I think it is a good idea for your kids.

In the pass we traveled w just our military ID and birth certficate but what if ANYTHING ever happened and you needed to leave the ship and fly home.... Not worth the issues.

Also we made our appointment and had our passports in hand in ten days. We didn't expedite regular old snail mail. I wouldn't cut it that close but I was pleasantly surprised at the efficiency!

The agent we worked with suggest we get the card as well as the passport... Which I realize isn't what you are asking butt .... Here is why and this does apply. In our case she suggested that once we are on board put the passport in the safe. Carry the card while off the ship in case we have any issue. We are military and in some cases having that ID can put us in danger. So the $30 extra bucks didn't seem so bad. I think it is a good idea for your kids.

In the pass we traveled w just our military ID and birth certficate but what if ANYTHING ever happened and you needed to leave the ship and fly home.... Not worth the issues.

Also we made our appointment and had our passports in hand in ten days. We didn't expedite regular old snail mail. I wouldn't cut it that close but I was pleasantly surprised at the efficiency!

So do you travel with a military passport? If so you did not have to pay for it so that is a savings.

I guess I don't see the benefit of carrying the passport card ashore with you. It isn't any more useful than a Driver's License. If anything happens ashore in a foreign port that causes you to miss the ship you will need your passport book to board an airplane, the card is valueless for this purpose.

I like ours, its laminated/waterproof, small/size of credit/S&S card, and easier to carry off the ship instead of a passport book. I just never have carried around a BC and don't care to now.

I completely concur! Plus I leave our passport books locked up in the cabin safe just in case something happens to the card.

I guess I don't see the benefit of carrying the passport card ashore with you. It isn't any more useful than a Driver's License. If anything happens ashore in a foreign port that causes you to miss the ship you will need your passport book to board an airplane, the card is valueless for this purpose.

I can see where taking the card ashore would work in US possessions - St Thomas, Puerto Rico, etc. It should qualify as photo id if one needs to fly and it's much more convenient around water and sand.

Like you, I don't believe it would do much good in other ports as a passport book would be required to re-enter the US when flying. I suppose one could always take a ferry to a US island however and fly from there. ;)

Also, if one looses a passport card it has to be reported as soon as possible. Does reporting a lost/stolen card cause cancellation of both the card and book?

I can see where taking the card ashore would work in US possessions - St Thomas, Puerto Rico, etc. It should qualify as photo id if one needs to fly and it's much more convenient around water and sand.

Yes....as does a valid driver's license

Like you, I don't believe it would do much good in other ports as a passport book would be required to re-enter the US when flying. I suppose one could always take a ferry to a US island however and fly from there. ;)

I suppose the passport card has greater flexibility if you miss the ship in Ensenada, Vancouver, St. John or Halifax, probably not so much anywhere else.

Also, if one looses a passport card it has to be reported as soon as possible. Does reporting a lost/stolen card cause cancellation of both the card and book?

I don't believe so. The passport card is not a passport.

I'm not opposed to having a passport card, I have one myself. My motivation to get one was for domestic air travel. I fly frequently and when the rules became inflexible about photo ID after 9/11 I started carrying my passport as backup in the event my wallet was lost or stolen. Frankly I was uncomfortable carrying my passport so often. The passport card was the perfect solution for me and my comfort level.

I just think the above posters received bad advice. The passport card is sufficient for closed-loop cruises but it isn't any better in a foreign port than a valid driver's license. If something happens and you miss the ship you will need the actual passport.

They are about the same as a driver's license or state issued ID card, and about as usefull in a foreign port.

I wouldn't waste my money. All of my kids (4 sons) have passports that can be used in the case of an emergency. I don't plan to have an emergency ...but one doesn't usually plan for an accident. :D

Have a great trip!

I have occasion to drive to Canada, so the passport card makes sense. I use it on my cruises. Always take my passport just in case, though. Usually keep it in my cabin safe. But, with the passport card, unless I am doing something that requires a drivers license, I leave the DL in the safe too. It is a lot bigger hassle to replace the DL than a passport card.

However, I would say go with the full passport for the boys instead of just a passport card.

They were not on the list I was looking at. Although I do see Costa Rica and Panama in Wikipedia as "not mentioned by State Department". Do you have a link?
You might be confusing the Contiguous Countries and Adjacent Islands list (Canada Mexico Bermuda and Caribbean) which, prior to the WHTI, was the allowable countries list for travel without a passport by any mode of travel. Since the implementation of the WHTI the passport rules and mode of travel rules changed, as did the exception list. Nowadays you need different documentation to cross the land border to Mexico than you do to cruise to Mexico. The WHTI cruise exception allows cruise travel to any Western Hemisphere country on a closed loop cruise. (Typical Caribbean cruise destinations, the CCAI list, as well as Panama, Belize, Costa Rica and Honduras do not require passports. Other countries in the Western Hemisphere theoretically could be visited on a RT cruise without a passport, but those countries have their own passport requirements, such as Brazil or Argentina)

Archived