Can you tell what neeps is?

phabric

We have a reserved booked at The Hub Cafe near the Edinburgh Castle for a pre Tattoo dinner for our group.

They a have set meal for the Pre Tattoo Supper and one of the items is- Haggis (I know what that is), neeps (?), tatties (Potatoes).

What is neeps?

We have a reserved booked at The Hub Cafe near the Edinburgh Castle for a pre Tattoo dinner for our group.

They a have set meal for the Pre Tattoo Supper and one of the items is- Haggis (I know what that is), neeps (?), tatties (Potatoes).

What is neeps?

Mashed swede. Traditional accompaniment for haggis.

The vegetable, not our Scandinavian cousins :)

What is neeps?

tatties ,haggis and neeps (turnip) is a traditional meal eaten at a burns suppers ,i being a scot have it every 2 or 3 weeks ,one of my favourite meals.

since we just celebrated Thanksgiving in Minnesota we did have the rutabega and I think that might be very similar to "neeps". For myself, I am totally unfamiliar with haggis and could some one tell me what that might taste like...thanks

since we just celebrated Thanksgiving in Minnesota we did have the rutabega and I think that might be very similar to "neeps". For myself, I am totally unfamiliar with haggis and could some one tell me what that might taste like...thanks

You're right, rutabaga it is. I'll leave it to a Scot to try and explain what haggis tastes like!

You either love it, or hate it.

It has a taste all of its own, minced organ meat, onions, spices and oats stuffed into a sheep's stomach and boiled, doesn't sound good does it but it actually is when done correctly!

Having attended many a Burn's Supper over the years, I love it and all the tradition that goes with the event.

And for anyone who doesn't know who Robert Burns was, he was a very famous and loved Scottish Poet -think Auld Lang Syne.

275px-Scotland_Haggis.jpg.691db055b22e673fd6c6750daee5018b.jpg

220px-Haggis_neeps_and_tatties.jpg.4e265acaac85861cbdbbc84188565e08.jpg

You either love it, or hate it.

It has a taste all of its own, minced organ meat, onions, spices and oats stuffed into a sheep's stomach and boiled, doesn't sound good does it but it actually is when done correctly!

Having attended many a Burn's Supper over the years, I love it and all the tradition that goes with the event.

And for anyone who doesn't know who Robert Burns was, he was a very famous and loved Scottish Poet -think Auld Lang Syne.

I will pass on the haggis but the neeps and tatties would be a nice meal all by itself...thanks for the heads up!

Wild haggis (Haggis Scoticus) are native to the Scottish Highlands. It is the source of haggis, a traditional Scottish dish.

The wild haggis's left and right legs are of different lengths allowing it to run quickly around the steep mountains and hillsides which make up its natural habitat, but only in one direction.

There are two varieties of haggis, one with longer left legs and the other with longer right legs.

The former variety can run clockwise around a mountain while the latter can run anticlockwise.

The two varieties coexist peacefully but are unable to interbreed in the wild because in order for the male of one variety to mate with a female of the other, he must turn to face in the same direction as his intended mate, causing him to lose his balance before he can mount her.

As a result of this difficulty, differences in leg length among the haggis population are accentuated.

:D:rolleyes:

Wild haggis (Haggis Scoticus) are native to the Scottish Highlands. It is the source of haggis, a traditional Scottish dish.

The wild haggis's left and right legs are of different lengths allowing it to run quickly around the steep mountains and hillsides which make up its natural habitat, but only in one direction.

There are two varieties of haggis, one with longer left legs and the other with longer right legs.

The former variety can run clockwise around a mountain while the latter can run anticlockwise.

The two varieties coexist peacefully but are unable to interbreed in the wild because in order for the male of one variety to mate with a female of the other, he must turn to face in the same direction as his intended mate, causing him to lose his balance before he can mount her.

As a result of this difficulty, differences in leg length among the haggis population are accentuated.

:D:rolleyes:

Further to English_in-Spain's post, it's only a few days before the The Scotsman newspaper's annual haggis hunt, when several millions of people from all over the world, including the US, try to spot the creatures on webcams. For details and pictures of the creatures, look here:

http://haggishunt.scotsman.com/

I love the stories of the haggis hunts.

I love haggis and wish we could buy it in the US. We can't because of importation of meats laws. However, there is a company (can't remember its name) here in the US that makes haggis by a supposedly authentic recipe. They also make and sell the breakfast sausages I love to eat when I'm in the UK.

Now....I also love blood (sometimes called black) pudding.

For my money, it's ALWAYS worth trying traditional foods. I'm not that fond of black pudding, but we really loved Haggis when in Scotland. This "try anything" isn't always a winning situation - I admit to trying natto (Japanese), and don't think I'll need to try it again. Ever.

So now I'm wondering what I'll be trying when we're in Norway next year.....

For my money, it's ALWAYS worth trying traditional foods. I'm not that fond of black pudding, but we really loved Haggis when in Scotland. This "try anything" isn't always a winning situation - I admit to trying natto (Japanese), and don't think I'll need to try it again. Ever.

So now I'm wondering what I'll be trying when we're in Norway next year.....

You're going to Norway? When? On a cruise?

A friend and I are going on one of Hurtigruten's Norway Coastal Cruises in early March. I can hardly wait. I've been looking at the menus on the Polarlys which is the ship we'll be on and have also been looking into foods typically served in Norway. There will be lots of fish, some of which are unknown to me. Hopefully there will be king crab. There will be reindeer (but not Rudolph). Those are the main things I've seen.

• 9 months later...
Mashed swede. Traditional accompaniment for haggis.

The vegetable, not our Scandinavian cousins :)

Neep is what we Scots call Turnip (Orange coloured vegetable) - Swede is the same thing but we call them turnips (turneeps)........

I note that Gordon Ramsay has started referring to the veg as Swede ..... he should know better. TURNIPS NOT SWEDES !!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived