Parking at the

twnkltoz

My husband and I are trying to determine whether we can afford a last minute cruise deal sailing out of Los Angeles. It's $183 apiece to fly from Sacramento, so we're wondering if it's more cost effective to drive. Does anyone know how much it would cost to park the car there while we're gone, or where I would go to find out? It's a seven day cruise. Thanks!

My husband and I are trying to determine whether we can afford a last minute cruise deal sailing out of Los Angeles. It's $183 apiece to fly from Sacramento, so we're wondering if it's more cost effective to drive. Does anyone know how much it would cost to park the car there while we're gone, or where I would go to find out? It's a seven day cruise. Thanks!

If it's the San Pedro terminal, I believe it's $12 per day...

So, for a 7-nighter, figure $84...

Add in your cost for gas to drive the 400 miles each way and wear and tear on your car...

Compare it to not only airfare but your transportation to and from the airport or parking there, a taxi or shuttle to and from the airport-cruise port and, cost-wise, you are likely ahead driving...BUT...you also have to spend 12-14 hours in a car...

So, it's not all the cost but also how comfortable you are with all that driving...

I would drive down the day before and spend a night in a hotel in San Pedro...

Or, if you are cruising Carnival out of Long Beach, check into whether you can get a stay and cruise package with parking at the Maya Doubletree...

......you are likely ahead driving...BUT...you also have to spend 12-14 hours in a car......

There's no way Sacramento to LA or San Pedro is 12-14 hours. We've driven it many times and the longest trip, with heavy traffic backups, was about 9 1/2 hours. It's just over 400 miles. The average time is about 7 hours. Definitely agree, however, with the advice to drive down the day before and spend the night. I'd leave Sacramento as early in the morning as possible so that you get across LA before the heaviest rush hour traffic.

There's no way Sacramento to LA or San Pedro is 12-14 hours. We've driven it many times and the longest trip, with heavy traffic backups, was about 9 1/2 hours.

It IS 12-14 hours!!!

6-7 hours THERE...

...and 6-7 hours ON THE WAY BACK...

By my count, that is 12-14 hours!!!

Unless you're driving down and STAYING for good...

It IS 12-14 hours!!!

6-7 hours THERE...

...and 6-7 hours ON THE WAY BACK...

By my count, that is 12-14 hours!!!

Unless you're driving down and STAYING for good...

Given that it's not 12-14 hours all at once, that's not really an issue. Six hours to get there and six to get back is probably worth it.

Where would one find out current prices online? I'd like to check out San Francisco, too.

Given that it's not 12-14 hours all at once, that's not really an issue. Six hours to get there and six to get back is probably worth it.

Where would one find out current prices online? I'd like to check out San Francisco, too.

I don't know where to look for prices, but try Google.

Current prices for San Pedro is $12/day. Long Beach is $17/day.

To help out with the math it costs 56 cents per mile to own and operate a midsize sedan in California. Add about 5 cents for a newer car, or subtract 5 cents for a paid-for older car. Even in the latter case that's about $400 in transportation expenses if you drive.

Archived