I always wonder why...

LDVinNC

people ask for dailies, menus, etc. in advance of their cruise. I do like to make plans, but I think it is fun to look at the Daily each evening to see what's up for the next day, and I won't even look at the menu posted outside the dining room. I'll stand aside if DH wants to look at it early in the day. I like to wait and look at it once I am seated for the meal. Just adds to the pleasure of the trip, I think.

people ask for dailies, menus, etc. in advance of their cruise. I do like to make plans, but I think it is fun to look at the Daily each evening to see what's up for the next day, and I won't even look at the menu posted outside the dining room. I'll stand aside if DH wants to look at it early in the day. I like to wait and look at it once I am seated for the meal. Just adds to the pleasure of the trip, I think.

Speaking only for myself, I was asking for dailies because I am traveling with over 20 other people and there are two things in particular that some of the group want to do. It would make it easier for myself to know what 2 days (and times) they will be.

I am the planner in my family. I am new to cruising and want to find out everyhting possible to make sure my trip is as enjoyable as possible. I do not want to miss any valuable tips that might enhance our time. My wife on the other hands, wants to wait and be surprised with everything. I tried to show her a video I had gotten of our suite and she does not want to see it.

I guess we are all a little different.

I'm the same way. Now I do look at as many pictures I can get of my cabin as I want to close my eyes and picture myself there, but I don't want to see the dailies until I'm on board and I don't want to see the menu either, I'm pretty well versed in the specialty menus, but like the surprise in the main dining room :)

There may be many reasons for this. Just to name a few.

If you are new to cruising, you may have questions or need clarification about a certain activity. You may want to discuss with whoever is cruising with you which type of activity they may be interested in. Like DMH15 the anticipation of what may be as much fun as the trip itself.

I research the hell out of my upcoming cruise. The ship the ports everything. But I have my limits as I like to keep some things a surprise. Therefore, the dallies do not interest me until the actual cruise. However, I can definately see an advantage of seeing them beforehand for some. :D

Speaking only for myself, I was asking for dailies because I am traveling with over 20 other people and there are two things in particular that some of the group want to do. It would make it easier for myself to know what 2 days (and times) they will be.

The problem with this is that a particular activity may not be on the same day at the same time from one cruise to the next. The scheduling of events is fluid and you cannot count on napkin folding to be at 2:00 on Tuesday just because it was on a prior cruise.

I really don't care about the Dailies in advance but the dinner menu is critical. The last thing I want is to sit down and see nothing I am really interested in. I always check and if that is the case I book a speciality venue for that night. Works both ways if the MDR menu is great I don't want to be booked into a speciality venue.

I was looking for the Dawn's dailies (and found them) because I've never been on her yet. I know the dailies will be a bit different because I'm going for New Year's, but I was curious on how she compared to events on the Sky. I'm not memorizing them, just wanted a general idea.

For some (including me) the research and anticipation is almost as fun as the actual cruise. Have you ever read a CC review or viewed pics of ships and ports ? If so wouldn't that take away your "pleasure" of experiencing a cruise first hand ?

The problem with this is that a particular activity may not be on the same day at the same time from one cruise to the next. The scheduling of events is fluid and you cannot count on napkin folding to be at 2:00 on Tuesday just because it was on a prior cruise.

I want to see all that stuff for the same reason I used to sneak into my parents closet during December to see what I was getting for Christmas. I like the excitement of knowing more than I like the excitement of being surprised.

I think here you have the best reason pro and con. They both make sense to me. That said -- after the first day or 2 I hardly read them on board. Pre-cruise? Nah.

Love the napkin folding example! I don't want to plan THAT much. lol

I was looking for "The Best Of All" and the Murder Mystery lunch. I couldn't remember if TBOA was a brunch or lunch. I know they both would be a sea day and I doubt the time would vary by much so the daily would have helped a lot....especially with the brunch or lunch question.

I agree. I love coming back to the room each nite and seeing my towel animal and taking a picture and then getting into my jammies with the next days daily to see whats in store!

I want to see all that stuff for the same reason I used to sneak into my parents closet during December to see what I was getting for Christmas. I like the excitement of knowing more than I like the excitement of being surprised.

Yes!!! It is even MORE exciting to me to know what fun is in store. Of course, I also read the end of a book first...so I don't have to wait to see what happens.

I really don't care about the Dailies in advance but the dinner menu is critical. The last thing I want is to sit down and see nothing I am really interested in. I always check and if that is the case I book a speciality venue for that night. Works both ways if the MDR menu is great I don't want to be booked into a speciality venue.

Ditto......I couldn't have said it any better :D

I am the planner in my family. I am new to cruising and want to find out everyhting possible to make sure my trip is as enjoyable as possible. I do not want to miss any valuable tips that might enhance our time. My wife on the other hands, wants to wait and be surprised with everything. I tried to show her a video I had gotten of our suite and she does not want to see it.

I guess we are all a little different.

Thats my husband. He dose not want to hear the word "cruise" until it happens in July. Me, on the other hand, has been getting any and all information I can get. He wouldn't watch the video either! lol!!!:D

I always check and if that is the case I book a speciality venue for that night. Works both ways if the MDR menu is great I don't want to be booked into a speciality venue.

Absolutely! I don't want to pay for the specialty restaurants on a day when the MDR has something I particularly enjoy. Whereas there is usually a night or two when the MDR choices aren't to my liking...

I'd love to plan ahead, from clothing (trying not to wear the same heels two days in a row, for instance) to food to entertainment...then on the cruise I can concentrate on the ports of call.

Archived