Holland America Formal Night Dress Code

treesah

i agree with you on this, Except that I think it makes the food even taste better. LOL :D Bill

Actually, Bill, you are probably right - it's like serving up a meal on fine dinnerware and wine in a lovely crystal glass; it's bound to taste better than having the same meal served up on a paper plate and the wine in a plastic mug. There is no way they will taste the same.

Edited by Beejay4016

Alaska cruise last aug. on the Zuiderdam saw several men going back to their staterooms for jackets because they did not want to wear borrowed jackets offered by the server.

So they had jackets; they just didn't get dressed for dinner?

• 1 year later...

Hi

I think some of these men sneak in when the lines are backed up the crew do not want to go up tp a table and ask someone to leave.

One time Last Alaska cruise I watch as a man belittle crew mwmbwe he had a outside jacket he was going to use. He started to make a scene yelling at the poor crewmember. He then just pushed his way through and sat down at his table, I wish I had the nerve to say something to him. If a suprervisor went to table it would really cause a scene so nothing was done. Not sure if anything happened after that.

What is hard for people to dress for formal nights..

Mary

this is what Holland American web site says:

The right clothing can make a big difference in the enjoyment of your cruise. First and foremost, dress for comfort. Daily life aboard ship and in ports of call is relaxed and casual. Warmer climates call for clothing made of lightweight, breathable fabrics. For cooler climates, we suggest casual clothes that can be layered easily and possibly a raincoat and waterproof hat or umbrella and gloves. Certain shore excursions may require particular attention to clothing. For example, certain churches or other places of worship may not allow tank tops or short pants. Bring a swimsuit as all of our ships have pools and whirlpools. You may wish to bring more than one outfit for the water. We ask that you wear shoes and a cover-up over a bathing suit when walking through the interior of the ship. If you would like to jog on the sports deck or work out in the fitness center, bring workout gear. Footwear should include comfortable walking shoes for visits ashore and sandals or rubber-soled shoes for strolling on deck.

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and collared shirts for men and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women. T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours. On festive Formal evenings, ladies may wear a suit, cocktail dress, gown or fancy blouse/top with slacks and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per week.

In order to complement your fellow guests, Holland America Line asks that you observe the suggested dress code throughout the entire evening.

On my latest HAL cruise, they made someone wear a loaner jacket. Just my opinion but all loaner jackets should be dayglo pink to make it obvious that they ar eloaners.

DON

Got my vote!:D

For 40 + years, I have worn a Blue Blazer when traveling. It keeps my Passport, Boarding Tickets, Pen for Declaration Forms etc at hand.

I do the same for practical reasons as above - not just for appearances. Also, because I almost never travel where it's hot, a blazer can help keep me warm without needing a jacket or overcoat.

The definition of "formal" has been dumbed-down a lot recently. I can never understand why so many men take umbrage at wearing a jacket in a fine restaurant. For goodness sake, it's just a jacket.;) We rarely get to dress up - meaning dinner jacket and long dress for my wife - in the Toronto area, so going to sea on a fine ship gives us a chance to be elegant. We usually travel with the very formal Cunard or P&O, but a HAL cruise is probable for next year. I'm pleased there is at least some semblance of formality.

, so going to sea on a fine ship gives us a chance to be elegant. We usually travel with the very formal Cunard or P&O, but a HAL cruise is probable for next year. I'm pleased there is at least some semblance of formality.

Brace yourself. HAL is NOT nearly as formal as the two you cruise. Think mainstream. Enjoy dressing for dinner in true formal wear, but you will be in the small minority.

Edited by eandj

Random semi related rant - There are cruise lines with dress codes across the spectrum, all the way from extremely casual to very formal. I'm not sure why people can't find one or more that meet their needs and allow them to dress the way they want.

These threads always make me wonder if people get on a Disney cruise and ask that "something be done about all these darn kids and cartoon characters." :)

(Except Winnie the Pooh, Piglet, and Eeyore. They're awesome.)

Edited by POA1

So I have two questions. We are booked for Alaska and I know in general those cruises are slightly more casual. First, on the formal nights it suggests that you wear your formal attire the remainder of the evening. If we want to relax on the deck and watch the scenery after dinner are we seriously expected to do so in formal attire? Second, what is the view on dress jeans and a nice button down shirt on non formal nights? Thank you.

So I have two questions. We are booked for Alaska and I know in general those cruises are slightly more casual. First, on the formal nights it suggests that you wear your formal attire the remainder of the evening. If we want to relax on the deck and watch the scenery after dinner are we seriously expected to do so in formal attire? Second, what is the view on dress jeans and a nice button down shirt on non formal nights? Thank you.

Question 1--No

Question 2--Just fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question 1--No

Question 2--Just fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree..anything goes once dinner is over. Lots of people will change. Apparently their dinner clothes are too tight after the meal.:D

Jeans are fine if not torn on a "regular" night.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going on my first cruise ever next week on the Volendam leaving from Vancouver.

I'm going to spend a few days in Seattle and Vancouver before the cruise and trying to pack as light as possible. I'm planning on bringing only a carry on.

Is it okay to wear a dark navy blue sport jacket and tan/brown pants on the formal night? I know it' not "formal" wear, but if I wear black then I would have to bring another pair of shoes.

I'm going on my first cruise ever next week on the Volendam leaving from Vancouver.

I'm going to spend a few days in Seattle and Vancouver before the cruise and trying to pack as light as possible. I'm planning on bringing only a carry on.

Is it okay to wear a dark navy blue sport jacket and tan/brown pants on the formal night? I know it' not "formal" wear, but if I wear black then I would have to bring another pair of shoes.

Add a tie and you're good to go.

We were told by one of the dining room managers that as long as the man wears the jacket into the MDR, they don't care if they remove it when they sit down. They also have a few jackets that they lend out, but you can't count on being one of the men who gets there in time to get it. Maybe he can wear the jacket on the plane and then it won't take up any suitcase room.

I do think Alaska tends to be less casual than the Caribbean or European cruises..

You are correct about Alaska, Carol. Many of them look like slobs, c/w their ball caps, that should be eating in a Denny's.

What about children and formal nights? Kids grow so fast, I see no reason to buy a sportscoat just for one or two wearings.

Try a resale shop. You may be able to pick up a jacket for a couple of dollars.

When the cruise is over, you can even try to sell it back! :D

You are correct about Alaska, Carol. Many of them look like slobs, c/w their ball caps, that should be eating in a Denny's.

Approaching my Holland cruise with a feeling of unease... I have cruised on Royal Caribbean and never once saw a ball cap worn in the dining room, and dress code was enforced. It sounds like Holland is way more lax.