Holland America Formal Night Dress Code

treesah

I didn't really give "dressing up" a second thought, I mistakenly thought the industry had changed across the board. Then I stumbled across some info on the web regarding this, and decided to do further research.

Actors and kids "dress up". Adults just "dress appropriately". ;)

Two of the common issues some have about formal night can be solved by the following website : http://www.cruiselineformal.com.

Issue 1: I don't have room in my suitcase --- Rent your clothes from the above website. They have stuff for women as well. Saves a lot of space in your suitcase.

Issue 2: Formal clothes are not comfortable.. Formal clothes are not any more or less comfortable than anything else. What is not comfortable is clothes that don't fit. If people don't wear a coat/tie regularly - they will often try to wear a suit they bought 20 years and 20 pounds ago. And yes....a shirt that is too tight - trousers and jacket too tight - are very uncomfortable. Again the solution is to rent your clothes. They are guaranteed to fit. The rental clothes are on the ship and if you get the wrong size at first - they will swap it out on the spot. They will even take it in or let it out . The ship has a tailor.

Wearing formal clothes that fit are very comfortable and they can help create that special ambiance - formal night - where all the passengers work together to create an elegant and festive atmosphere.

A third issue usually never stated explicitly is - I don't like to follow rules I don't like or cause ME some inconvenience...followed up by - how does my conduct - not following rules - affect you? Most people, not wanting to create a fuss, quickly demur and say - oh...no big deal.....

Here is my opinion as to why this is important.

Being part of larger group that choose to share the same experience - formal night is very enjoyable.

When people choose not to participate - it is distracting, decreases the value of the formal night experience and makes the vacation less enjoyable than it could have been.

I always wonder if people who are invited to a friends wedding - that states the attire is formal - would ask their host if it is OK to not wear the attire requested in the invitation. The host would exclaim..."oh wear what you want - all we care about is you sharing our day" All the while they would be rolling their eyes.....

Going on a cruise is a contract between you and the cruise line.....you agree to give them money and comply with a myriad of rules. They agree to provide you the cruise experience - which includes enforcing their rules across the board.

There any thousands of ways to spend your vacation money.....everyone should buy a vacation where they enjoy following the rules of the venue they CHOOSE to visit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Pete and Judy

Pete and Judy - so very well put - I guess I was trying to say that and didn't say it eloquently enough for some people.

sorry ghjmco -- It is about following rules and I think it is quite nice that HAL will let you eat in the lido or your room - they don't force you to Dress Appropriately

Going on a cruise is a contract between you and the cruise line.....you agree to give them money and comply with a myriad of rules. They agree to provide you the cruise experience - which includes enforcing their rules across the board.

Thanks again Pete

aaahhhh lets call them suggestions so we don't need to follow them I guess -- just a thought

A third issue usually never stated explicitly is - I don't like to follow rules I don't like or cause ME some inconvenience...followed up by - how does my conduct - not following rules - affect you? Most people, not wanting to create a fuss, quickly demur and say - oh...no big deal.....

Here is my opinion as to why this is important.

Being part of larger group that choose to share the same experience - formal night is very enjoyable.

except they ask you to follow the 'suggestions' in the MDR - and one knows that before they get there -

Then why not just make it a hard and fast rule - and enforce it?

HALL doesn't want to be seen as the "stuffy" line that requires formal dress.

As usual they can't seem to define themselves, one way or the other. Trying to be all things to all people.

Then why not just make it a hard and fast rule - and enforce it?

HALL doesn't want to be seen as the "stuffy" line that requires formal dress.

As usual they can't seem to define themselves, one way or the other. Trying to be all things to all people.

Formal dress is only considered "stuffy" by those who do not like it or feel uncomfortable in it. :rolleyes: Yet most of those people watched the Academy Awards (or the women did ...) and the wives were secretly wishing their husband dressed like so-and-so sometimes ;)

Why do the people who are so apposed the this idea just change lines?????? There is a reason I don't travel on Carnival -- or maybe I should and expect them to make exceptions for me. The whole argument seems ludicrous to me -

Formal dress is only considered "stuffy" by those who do not like it or feel uncomfortable in it. Yet most of those people watched the Academy Awards (or the women did ...) and the wives were secretly wishing their husband dressed like so-and-so sometimes

I have mentioned before that there is no way I would give others the power of ruining my experience by letting what they wear affect me. I enjoy dressing up but if others don't, I just look at as a topic of conversation. I still have a great evening.

Yet another common sense approach. You know until I came here I never knew how wound up people are about such things. I had no clue. I'm actually sorry I asked the question. :(.

I always figure I judge my dinner companions by the kind of people they are and not their clothes. But I guess I live in a different world.

I always figure I judge my dinner companions by the kind of people they are and not their clothes. But I guess I live in a different world.

Would you be ok with swim attire in the MDR? Shorts and a t shirt?

If your standard is I don't judge clothes then all the above should be OK.

Then there should be no MDR dress code ever. I think wind star has that policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would you be ok with swim attire in the MDR? Shorts and a t shirt?

If your standard is I don't judge clothes then all the above should be OK.

Then there should be no MDR dress code ever. I think wind star has that policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well swimwear might be pushing things, but other than that, who cares. I figure good people are not suddenly bad companions because they're not wearing a jacket and conversely a rude jerk is not suddenly going to be better because they are.

I really find this whole conversation rather disheartening as I guess I've never been exposed to this kind of attitude before. IF this is a prevalent attitude among HAL passengers, I think I'll just skip the MDR all together and eat alone in my cabin

Wow. Just . . . wow!

Well swimwear might be pushing things, but other than that, who cares. I figure good people are not suddenly bad companions because they're not wearing a jacket and conversely a rude jerk is not suddenly going to be better because they are.

I really find this whole conversation rather disheartening as I guess I've never been exposed to this kind of attitude before. IF this is a prevalent attitude among HAL passengers, I think I'll just skip the MDR all together and eat alone in my cabin

Wow. Just . . . wow!

Please do not eat in your cabin/stateroom UNLESS it is where you really want to!!

Do NOT let some responses to your question(s) color the view of HAL in general!! The responses on this board by a few members IS NOT what you will find aboard the ship(s).

In general you will find a much more relaxed mix of passengers on board HAL, just as you will on any other cruise line:)

Enjoy the cruise no matter what you are wearing!! I for one will never question anyone's clothing for any venue EXCEPT for the one female I saw in line to enter the MDR a few years ago clad in Daisy Dukes!!:eek::eek:

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

Thanks Joanie. I appreciate that. I just booked my cruise last night (and paid in full) so I've gone from being thrilled to wondering if I had made a terrible mistake. I think I need to avoid this thread for my own mental health. LOL

But I guess I know the answer to my question now.

Do you figure good people are suddenly bad companions because they're in swimwear? You seem to agree with the idea of a dress code, so why not the cruise line's dress code? If everyone can make their own code, why would swimwear be unacceptable?

HAL is a vacation experience, not the Academy Awards! While there are many folks on these threads who might be described as judgmental, that is not the case onboard ship. It is impossible to hide behind the cloak of internet anonymity when you are on a ship! If they are passing judgment, they at least keep it to themselves.

Having been on twenty-four cruises including six with HAL, I can honestly say that I am enjoying the cruise experience too much to concern myself with what others are wearing, let alone pass judgment on folks. And for those who do pass judgment, I always wear a jacket, dark slacks, dress shirt with tie, and shined dress shoes on formal nights.

I am always perplexed when it is stated that those who do not care for the current dress suggestions should avail themselves of cruising with another line. Maybe those who are so distressed and concern themselves with what others are wearing should consider cruising another line, perhaps Cunard?

Edited by tip

This thread was a question as to what was considered acceptable on HAL and then migrated to why people felt that way. Everyone here expressed their opinions respectfully and further explained how dress codes affects them. We ended up with a consensus that their should be be some dress code....no daisy Dukes or swimwear....so the bottom line for me is everyone should adhere to the published dress code as 99 pct of the people do.

I see about 10pct tuxedos, 25 pct suit and tie with the remainder in sports jacket and tie.....I have never observed anyone attempting entry into the MDR not wearing a jacket and tie....I am sure it happens every cruise, but the norm on HAL is men wear a tie and some sort of a jacket 99pct of the time....

I think I can safely say that if you attempt entry not wearing a jacket and tie on formal night you risk being denied entry and will definitely be in the minority.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Pete and Judy

Please do not eat in your cabin/stateroom UNLESS it is where you really want to!!

Do NOT let some responses to your question(s) color the view of HAL in general!! The responses on this board by a few members IS NOT what you will find aboard the ship(s).

In general you will find a much more relaxed mix of passengers on board HAL, just as you will on any other cruise line:)

Enjoy the cruise no matter what you are wearing!! I for one will never question anyone's clothing for any venue EXCEPT for the one female I saw in line to enter the MDR a few years ago clad in Daisy Dukes!!:eek::eek:

Joanie

I for one get your Daisy Duke reference sense of humor but hopefully some will ask for clarification if they really feel the need to point out things. I hope and believe our first HAL cruise experience will confirm that the majority of cruisers are as you describe them.

Thanks Joanie. I appreciate that. I just booked my cruise last night (and paid in full) so I've gone from being thrilled to wondering if I had made a terrible mistake. I think I need to avoid this thread for my own mental health. LOL

But I guess I know the answer to my question now.

Please please don't judge HAL by your experience on this thread. The tone of some of what has been said is not helpful or positive.

Edited by qsuzi

HAL is a vacation experience, not the Academy Awards! While there are many folks on these threads who might be described as judgmental, that is not the case onboard ship. It is impossible to hide behind the cloak of internet anonymity when you are on a ship! If they are passing judgment, they at least keep it to themselves.

Having been on twenty-four cruises including six with HAL, I can honestly say that I am enjoying the cruise experience too much to concern myself with what others are wearing, let alone pass judgment on folks. And for those who do pass judgment, I always wear a jacket, dark slacks, dress shirt with tie, and shined dress shoes on formal nights.

I am always perplexed when it is stated that those who do not care for the current dress suggestions should avail themselves of cruising with another line. Maybe those who are so distressed and concern themselves with what others are wearing should consider cruising another line, perhaps Cunard?

There were some good points made, some maybe in not the best tone. But there is much of what you say that I applaud! It is important to hear other view points.

Edited by qsuzi

Cannot Holland themselve simple post their 'Formal' policy here with a 'sticker' to keep it, so we would not have thousands of threads about this stuff? Gets old.

Doug

I always wonder about people who take the time to look at things that don't really interest them, then they complain to the people who do take interest. This is our first HAL cruise coming up, and I am reading it all to get an idea of what to expect. As for the threads, many were last commented on years ago. Is that info still relevant? Besides, some of us like communicating with each other, even if it isn't something that interests everyone. If it doesn't interest you personally and you only have something negative to say, feel free to skip it.

Lorie