Eclipse / HDMI Ports

AviGirl

We haven't, and my husband is very tech savvy. Apparently to be successful you need to get directions online for turning the tv off 'hotel' mode. And then of course you need to be able to turn it back on. We didnt know that going in, and every attempt to 'trick the system' was unsuccessful. :(. Good luck.

That's the key!

I purchased a factory Samsung TV remote ($20 something) prior to our Solstice cruise in 2010. That's the surest way to get the TV out of HOTEL MODE (with methods you can find online). It worked again on the Eclipse earlier this year. Both of those sailings we were in a Celebrity Suite. Accessing the inputs on the TV can be the most difficult part of the process I suppose - depending on how it's mounted in your cabin.

Someone will come on this thread and post that you should not be fooling around with such things (as they always do with threads on this topic)... ;)

Tom

...Someone will come on this thread and post that you should not be fooling around with such things (as they always do with threads on this topic)... ;)

Tom

Yes. And someone else will come along and say you are on vacation and should not be watching TV.

As much as we get out and about, we do enjoy watching some tv.

No phones

No dogs

No kids

No commercials

No gotta be somewhere

No dishes

No....

Sit with a drink and watch a show.

That's the key!

I purchased a factory Samsung TV remote ($20 something) prior to our Solstice cruise in 2010. That's the surest way to get the TV out of HOTEL MODE (with methods you can find online). It worked again on the Eclipse earlier this year. Both of those sailings we were in a Celebrity Suite. Accessing the inputs on the TV can be the most difficult part of the process I suppose - depending on how it's mounted in your cabin.

Someone will come on this thread and post that you should not be fooling around with such things (as they always do with threads on this topic)... ;)

Tom

Thanks very much Tom. I actually found your thread from a while ago and sent it to my husband to review but wanted to see if there was any updates. :) We're in a regular cc2 room but I wouldn't think the settings are any different in the suite.

I sent dh your reply... he's pretty tech savvy as well but if he has any questions tonight when he gets home, I'll post it.

Yes. And someone else will come along and say you are on vacation and should not be watching TV.

No phones

No dogs

No kids

No commercials

No gotta be somewhere

No dishes

No....

Oh I know it... actually surprised it hasn't happened yet! Thanks for your input... hey, life can get so busy, it's sometimes nice to flop on the couch and watch a mindless show, even when you're on vacation! :D

If anyone else has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

No phones

No dogs

No kids

No commercials

No gotta be somewhere

No dishes

No....

Actually I was going to suggest checking the ports of call board....

Ok I'm curious. What do you need the HDMI port for in your cabin? DVD player? Xbox?

On our Solstice sailing we brought along our son and 3 of his friends (most just shy of 18 at the time). They are more into computers/gaming than wandering the ship trying to make new friends... and when you are too young to both drink and gamble, that gives you even fewer options. At any rate, we modified the TV in their balcony cabin for them, and we were going to modify ours but a few emails before the sailing scored us a DVD player in our cabin when we arrived there (they had already hooked it up)! When we sailed the Eclipse a couple of years later the same contact told me that they did not have any DVD players on that ship for guests. Hmmm... something tells me that they would rather have people pay $10 to watch on demand movies!! That should not come as a surprise to anyone! ;)

On our Princess sailing a couple of weeks ago (first time with them) we sailed in an aft penthouse. Suites on Princess come with DVD players, along with a long list of free movies you can checkout. I seem to recall that it's the same with NCL as well.

Tom

On our Solstice sailing we brought along our son and 3 of his friends (most just shy of 18 at the time). They are more into computers/gaming than wandering the ship trying to make new friends... and when you are too young to both drink and gamble, that gives you even fewer options. At any rate, we modified the TV in their balcony cabin for them, and we were going to modify ours but a few emails before the sailing scored us a DVD player in our cabin when we arrived there (they had already hooked it up)! When we sailed the Eclipse a couple of years later the same contact told me that they did not have any DVD players on that ship for guests. Hmmm... something tells me that they would rather have people pay $10 to watch on demand movies!! That should not come as a surprise to anyone! ;)

On our Princess sailing a couple of weeks ago (first time with them) we sailed in an aft penthouse. Suites on Princess come with DVD players, along with a long list of free movies you can checkout. I seem to recall that it's the same with NCL as well.

Tom

Hi Tom... could I ask you to email me? avigirl at rogers dot com. Thanks in advance.

i did some pretty extensive looking into this a few months ago. heres what i came up with. some tvs you only need to unplug the ship's feed wire and plug in yours. other tvs you need to take off the hotel mode. why are they all diffrent cause more then one person installed the tvs and some selected hotel mode and others did not.

so if you want to be sure its going to work plan for both. buy a cheap universal remote and throw it in your bag incase you have to take off hotel mode. and dont forget to find out the tv model and print off the instructions to turning hotel mode off.

Archived