Labadee, Haiti port call

frqttrvlr09

I will be sailing on the Eclipse (my first time on Celebrity) on the Dec. 29 cruise. The first port is Labadee, Haiti. The discussions on this port, which is apparently "owned" by RCCL, on Cruise Critic are dated. The shore excursions offered by Celebrity for 2-3 hours on a sandbar, privately-owned beach (that looks very small), etc. are pretty expensive, equalling about $20 per hour. While I live in Alaska and am taking this cruise in part to experience warm water in the winter, that seems ridiculous. Are there other beaches nearby where the ship docks that are safe, clean and free? Conversely, are these short shore excursions crowded with passengers but worth it?

Are there other beaches nearby where the ship docks that are safe, clean and free? Conversely, are these short shore excursions crowded with passengers but worth it?

We have been to Labadee several times with RCL and it has some very nice beaches which don't cost a thing. The entire property is leased by RCCL and only those who have been cleared to work there have access. Just go and have a great time at the beach. A BBQ lunch is provided by the ships crew. We stay away from the local vendors as they are very pushy. Bon voyage!!

I like Labadee. it is a private peninsula and is safe. The employed locals have to go thru a security checkpoint and no unauthorized people are present. There are safe, pretty beaches. There are walking paths both thru foliage and along the rocky part of the coast. there are huge hammocks. There is a straw market. lunch is served ashore (food comes off ship each visit, so totally safe). there are bars if you want to buy a drink. Except for the drinks and straw market all of that is free and is a walking distance from pier. Tip a fella to set up lounge chairs if you wish. If you are willing to spend more money you have choices....The zip line is pretty long and looks fun. the kids like the aqua park. Or perhaps snorkeling suits you. The jet skis are popular. The coaster might be fun once or twice. the new water slide has been poor reviewed, so give that I pass probably. You could try to rent a cabana to share with up to five of you closest friends.

I will be sailing on the Eclipse (my first time on Celebrity) on the Dec. 29 cruise. The first port is Labadee, Haiti. The discussions on this port, which is apparently "owned" by RCCL, on Cruise Critic are dated. The shore excursions offered by Celebrity for 2-3 hours on a sandbar, privately-owned beach (that looks very small), etc. are pretty expensive, equalling about $20 per hour. While I live in Alaska and am taking this cruise in part to experience warm water in the winter, that seems ridiculous. Are there other beaches nearby where the ship docks that are safe, clean and free? Conversely, are these short shore excursions crowded with passengers but worth it?

Hi! We are also on this cruise. Why not come over to our very friendly Roll Call: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1401785

Do not worry about Labadee. It is the perfect port for a relaxed New Years Eve. Unless you are looking for something active, there is absolutely no need to book an excursion although we really enjoyed our speedboatd ride last time we were there before just relaxing on the beach for the rest of the day - and we are not even beach people.

All the beaches are safe and clean. You only need to pay for the separated beach where cabanas are available. The rest of the "island" is free for all, as is the food served. You only need to pay for drinks, as on the ship. You pay using your seapass, as you will on board. There is a market place but you do not have to visit it if you do not wish to buy anything.

Sue

Labadee is a wonderful island / peninsula destination. It's clean with walking paths, several beach areas, a tram, zip line, coaster and aqua park. As others have said a BBQ lunch is provided while docked at Labadee. You can also return to the ship and eat lunch onboard if you choose. Enjoy!

Labadee is by far our favourite port. We sprung for a cabana on Barefoot Beach and it was definitely worth it, but you can have a nice time there without putting your hand into your pocket at all.

We would love a cruise that docked at Labadee for a couple of days!

Hi! We are also on this cruise. Why not come over to our very friendly Roll Call: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1401785

Do not worry about Labadee. It is the perfect port for a relaxed New Years Eve. Unless you are looking for something active, there is absolutely no need to book an excursion although we really enjoyed our speedboatd ride last time we were there before just relaxing on the beach for the rest of the day - and we are not even beach people.

All the beaches are safe and clean. You only need to pay for the separated beach where cabanas are available. The rest of the "island" is free for all, as is the food served. You only need to pay for drinks, as on the ship. You pay using your seapass, as you will on board. There is a market place but you do not have to visit it if you do not wish to buy anything.

Sue

How much is that beach and where is it (if not renting a cabana)? We were there many years ago when RCCL first opened it and enjoyed it. We were there recently and thought the main beach was terrible. Garbage in the water.

The beach is free as other posters said additional charges for alcohol and special beverage drinks. We booked a cabana and yes, there is a charge of about $225 per cabana but that is a option. I believe that you are supposed to get upgraded food and other perks if you rent a cabana-let's see!- You can have more then two guests occupying it. We are also on your cruise! See you then.

I don't drink alcohol and think the drink/water, etc. packages are rip off. I may also be spoiled from cruising so much on Regent and Oceania where, finally, all that stuff is free, or, I should say, "included"

(soda, bottled water, iced tea, house wines, etc.). I am planning to buy some 12 pack of bottled water for shore excursions and a few six packs of soda and some flavored iced tea bags for my cabin in FTL on the way from my hotel to the ship.

The over the water cabanas (or as Gambee would say, "saunas", at Nellie's are apparently n/a on the Dec. 29 Eclipse sailing, per the ship's shorex site.

I think you got me confused, the saunas that I refer to are the clamshells and those are free.

The cabanas are the by price and they are located in barefoot and nellies beach, those are really nice, but too expensive for us.

I believe they also have a fan inside.

I believe they also have a fan inside.

They do, along with a cooler with ice and bottled water. There are two chaises in the sunny part of the cabana and a big couch in the shade. We had five people in our cabana. It also comes with floating mats for the water. The Barefoot Beach cabanas at least come with an upgraded buffet lunch that includes steak and other yummy extras.

Can you rent the Cabana's there? They aren't offered on Celebrity's excursion roster

With RCCL they usually hold a few for the people who want to rent them onboard. I recommend first thing you do when you get onboard to the guest services/shore excursion desk and reserve yours.

Can you rent the Cabana's there? They aren't offered on Celebrity's excursion roster

The Nelly's Beach cabanas were offered for our cruise a few months ago. Perhaps, the ones they sell in advance have all gone and the rest will be sold on board.

Sue

The Nelly's Beach cabanas were offered for our cruise a few months ago. Perhaps, the ones they sell in advance have all gone and the rest will be sold on board.

Sue

We rented our cabana on line. As of two weeks ago they were still listed on line under shore excursions beach related activities on the celebrity website. perhaps you can also try calling celebrity directly. They do save some for suite guests and if they are not booked,will offer on board.

We rented our cabana on line. As of two weeks ago they were still listed on line under shore excursions beach related activities on the celebrity website. perhaps you can also try calling celebrity directly. They do save some for suite guests and if they are not booked,will offer on board.

Those at Barefoot Beach for suite guests are only available on board, unlike those at Nelly's Beach.

Sue

Archived