Ocean Princess arriving Sydney 2 Dec 2012

I was sitting in the Cruise Bar at the OPT this afternoon enjoying the view of the Ocean Princess and noticed that if you look carefully you can still make out the letters TAH on her bow just before the word Ocean starts.

I'm assuming that the name must have been etched into the ship. If not then the painters were a bit slack.

I'm sure if you blow up one of Sutho's pictures you will be able to make it out.

She does look teeny-tiny after the leviathons that have been in port lately, but she has her charm.

cheers

Stu

I had a nosey on the YHA webcam yesterday morning just to see if any ships were in. Just as I thought that there wasnt a ship there, I spied Ocean Princess. My first thought was, "What kind of boat is that?" until I looked closer and saw she's a cruise ship! So diddy compared to some!!!

Made me laugh this arvo (was watching again on the YHA webcam) because there was another cruise ship coming under the bridge from Barangaroo (Sea Princess) and she looked bigger than Ocean Princess!! Just looked funny to see a diddy ship tied up at the OPT and a bigger ship coming past!!!

It may be small but it sure is a nice looking ship. It is a shame it is aging a bit with some rust, scuff marks and dents showing. I would have thought a small ship would be easy to maintain, but then again that arison chap needed all the cash the company could spare for his dividend:D.

I have always wanted to try one of those R class ones. I am on my PC so we will have to put up with another large photo. Here is the Pacific Princess the exact sister ship that I snapped 13th February 2008.

57408_10151136742614037_765311212_o.jpg

Not bad for an old Panasonic FZ20. I wish I had my professional kit back then, but then again if I did not learn on this old bridge SLR I would never have had the skills and desire to go out and get all my professional equipment.

It may be small but it sure is a nice looking ship. It is a shame it is aging a bit with some rust, scuff marks and dents showing. I would have thought a small ship would be easy to maintain, but then again that arison chap needed all the cash the company could spare for his dividend:D.

I have always wanted to try one of those R class ones. I am on my PC so we will have to put up with another large photo. Here is the Pacific Princess the exact sister ship that I snapped 13th February 2008.

57408_10151136742614037_765311212_o.jpg

Is she the former 'Love Boat'?

No...although the Love Boat was called Pacific Princess.

Filming took place on both the Pacific and the Island Princess who were sister ships.

The present Pacific Princess is an ex R ship. There were 8 identical R ships built, and when the company went belly up they were eventually sold/leased off to other cruise lines.

The original Pacific princess..The Love Boat.

M031%20-%20Pacific%20Princess.JPG

I will do some on the laptop soon. The desktop is much quicker. Next week I will do Celebrity Solstice from Sydney as I will stay down to watch it sail.

This shot here is at full zoom with a 400mm lens on the camera from the pylon lookout.

705228_10151186528599037_1878694777_o.jpg

Could recognise the faces of people 450m away and they would not know their photo is being taken.

You are right ... I didn't know you were taking a photo of me!! I was really interested looking at the pics you took Sutho since we were on board, but lo and behold, to see me in this one, that was a surprise. That's me in the blue shirt passing through or in "smokers' corner".

The Ocean Princess is a really great little ship and we had a wonderful time on her, as we did on the Pacific Princess 8-9 years ago when she was home ported in Sydney for a while. It is an easy ship to get around and with only 1,000 pax and crew on board, it is an extremely friendly ship ... you keep seeing (and talking) with the same pax and crew members all the time ... except for the captain and cruise director, but that's another story.

While a small ship does not offer all the options/alternatives that a larger ship does, there is still plenty of choice on the OP. Usually I get a bit stir crazy after a few sea days, but this time, I coped really well ... perhaps it is because it is easy to relax and just go with the flow when you are on a small ship. The best thing though ... no queues!!

Enjoyed the ship so much, we booked another cruise while on board ... gotta love their future cruise deposit scheme!

Cheers

Bob

Archived