yyz to ppt

2poolesrus

What would you do ?

Just looking for some opinions.

Option A - Would you fly a day ahead of cruise from Toronto to LAX - Then go straight on to Tahiti. Stay overnight in Tahiti?

Option B Fly into LAX - overnight there and go to Tahiti the next day.

Which is better?

I like to get to my destination a day early, so I would fly all the way to Tahiti and have the day there. Both flights will be tiring, so you might as well get them over with and then get a really good night sleep once you arrive. That is what we are doing from Florida to Tahiti and we certainly could have stayed a night in LA as we are spending 6 in Tahiti-Moorea before our Paul Gauguin cruise.

There are some really good deals in French Polynesia. If you have the Starwoods Amex card, it is not many points to stay at the Le Meridien in Papeete for free. If you don't have the card, it is free the first year and you get a 10000 point bonus the first time you use the card, so you are almost at a free night. There are properties by LAX that are part of the program, as well. I am sure other credit card companies have similar deals.

We don't like to fly so the sooner we get it over with the better. We are flying out of JFK to LAX on American and then onto Papeete the same day. We hope to get over our jet lag and decompress in Tahiti. I also feel more comfortable being at the cruise destination ahead of time since "stuff" happens. Check the prices of hotel though since Tahiti is expensive.

I've done it both ways. I've never, however, arrived in Tahiti the day of the cruise--I've always stayed over in Tahiti at least one night.

The one time I did not stay in L.A., we flew straight through with a fairly long layover, and then had two nights in Tahiti before the cruise.

The best way to do it is to do both--spend the night in L.A., and spend at least one night (preferably more) in Tahiti. Or if you can stay longer, do a 3-4 night pre-cruise on Moorea.

I think I liked getting to Tahiti as early as possible, frankly.

In any case, if you take Oceania air and plan to deviate, make sure you request a non-stop flight from Toronto to L.A.

I have have done this a lot. and you want to break the trip in LAX because of time zone chanes and the total length of the trip.

Flying from Canada is going to take you a good 5 hours of flying to get to LAX. and 3 hours of time change. Going from LAX to PPT is a 9 hour flight and 3 more hours of time zone change. Taking it in equal portions.

This is the place to break the trip because of both your health and the economics of Tahiti which it 3 times the cost of LA, and 2 tines the cost of Hawaii.

The combination of 6 time zones and 14 hours of flying will whack you in less you can do it all in First Class, in a bed. Coach is going to ruin you for several days so flying all the way through to get there several days earily will result in you being totaly wasted for several days in a very un-attractive big city.

And..to add isnult to injury your going to be paying top dollar and getting very little in return. Your earily arrival will be of little good. If you want to linger do so on the return...

Now, having been to Tahiti a lot, Papeete is not a real garden spot its a busy industrial city and the island has minimal charm. It is the outter Islands that are idylic.. Moorea, Bora, etc. NOT Tahiti

• 2 weeks later...

We recently booked our Air Deviation for YYZ to PPT for April. We paid an extra $100pp (on top of the $150 deviation) to have a direct flight YYZ to LAX and then board the charter on Atlas air leaving a few hours later. I inquired about arriving in LAX a day early and was told there was an additional $250 fee per person to split the flights over two days (I believe it was called a stop-over fee? don't quote me on that) So we just bit the bullet and are doing it all in one day. I don't really like the fact that the flight lands at 830pm the day that the cruise sails. So much for dinner on the first night. :(

We recently booked our Air Deviation for YYZ to PPT for April. We paid an extra $100pp (on top of the $150 deviation) to have a direct flight YYZ to LAX and then board the charter on Atlas air leaving a few hours later. I inquired about arriving in LAX a day early and was told there was an additional $250 fee per person to split the flights over two days (I believe it was called a stop-over fee? don't quote me on that) So we just bit the bullet and are doing it all in one day. I don't really like the fact that the flight lands at 830pm the day that the cruise sails. So much for dinner on the first night. :(

I did this once from LA an only 2 hours time change. but you have 6 hours

Its going to feel like 3am to you ! I dont think you will even want dinner for a day or 2. If you make the sail away it will be at 4-5 am your time

I want to stress that Papeete is about as south seas as down town Memphis. It is a crowded , busy, noisy dirty port that is gateway to the real Tahiti, It is not a plesant/romantic experience out of Robert Louis Stevenson pages..;).

Archived