Cabin selection for first time cruisers NCL

mexi1

We are cruising on the Norweign Sun in March 2013. I booked the IX category which is the inside cabin. What I'm wondering is this an ok room type or should I consider upgrading. I notice there is a bit of a sale on so I could probably upgrade to still a category I but on the 4th, 5 or 6th floor. We won't be in our room much so that part isn't so much of a concern. This will be of the southern caribeaan. Any suggestions or advice would be great. Also is it normal to get upgraded closer to cruise date? Thanks

We are cruising on the Norweign Sun in March 2013. I booked the IX category which is the inside cabin. What I'm wondering is this an ok room type or should I consider upgrading. I notice there is a bit of a sale on so I could probably upgrade to still a category I but on the 4th, 5 or 6th floor. We won't be in our room much so that part isn't so much of a concern. This will be of the southern caribeaan. Any suggestions or advice would be great. Also is it normal to get upgraded closer to cruise date? Thanks

Welcome to Cruise Critic. I did an IX guarantee on the Sun when we did the Baltic last year. Ended up with the very wonderful sideways cabin on the Viking Deck. Think you would enjoy the cabin.

I believe IX is a inside guarantee category. If you book a guarantee, they could put you in any cabin anywhere on the ship. With an IX most likely it will be an inside cabin, but there is a chance it could be an obstructed view or porthole or ?. But most likely it will be an inside. it could be located in a noisy area, like below the disco or next to the anchor. It could be far from the elevators. it could be way forward or way aft with more motion. it could also be a perfectly nice inside cabin, as one of the PP experienced. you could have to wait until you get to the pier to get your cabin number, but more likely you will get it in the weeks before sailing. Are you Ok with all those "could be's"? If so, roll the dice and book the gty. if upon reflection, you'd rather pick your own cabin, scour the deck plans and pick one in a higher category. for a first timer mid ship is often recommended ( less motion), especially if somebody in your party has a tendency toward motion sickness. Cabins above and below (or quiet public areas like a shop or library) make for a quieter experience.

Archived