Princess vs Royal Carribean

piano58

We have always sailed on Princess and loved it. Was wondering what RC is like. What are their inside cabins like? Entertainment? We are a middle age couple. Not into rock climbing or ice skating. Food? Anything like the sanctuary that Princess has on RC?

We haven't cruised Princess yet (booked for this Christmas), but we've done several Royal Caribbean cruises.

Royal Caribbean has the Solarium, which is an adults-only pool (well 16 and older, so not truly adults). Depending on the ship, it's enclosed or just more private than the pool deck.

I think food will be good for you just because it's a different menu (if you cruise RCI over and over, you notice it's basically the exact same thing - except they recently changed the menu, so that shouldn't be a problem right now, anyway). They quit doing the nice indoor buffet and have only been doing the midnight buffet on the pool deck for the past few years.

Entertainment varies by ship. I've been on some ships pre-refurb, and the costuming and sets were very worn. However, the newer and newly refurbished ships are entertaining and professional. The shows are different on every ship, too. Also, if you go on a ship with an ice rink, the ice skating shows are very entertaining. The Oasis and Allure both have Broadway shows (Chicago and Hairspray), and a special water show in the aqua theater on the aft of the ship.

Inside cabins vary by ship, as well. On the older, smaller ships, they're very tiny with little walking room. However, the larger ships offer larger inside staterooms with updated interiors that are much more space efficient.

They quit doing the nice indoor buffet and have only been doing the midnight buffet on the pool deck for the past few years.

I am confused. I have been on Explorer of the Seas and Radiance of the Seas and both had a nicely laid out buffet (the food on the Radiance was cold but looked pretty). Is this gone?

Or is it a different indoor buffet that they no longer do?

I am confused. I have been on Explorer of the Seas and Radiance of the Seas and both had a nicely laid out buffet (the food on the Radiance was cold but looked pretty). Is this gone?

Or is it a different indoor buffet that they no longer do?

Oh - no, no! I meant the specialty buffets. They used to do two midnight buffets over a 7-day cruise - one in the dining room, and one on the pool deck. Now they've cut that to one on the pool deck if at all.

The daily Windjammer Buffet which is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner is still present on all ships.

Oh - no, no! I meant the specialty buffets. They used to do two midnight buffets over a 7-day cruise - one in the dining room, and one on the pool deck. Now they've cut that to one on the pool deck if at all.

The daily Windjammer Buffet which is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner is still present on all ships.

Thanks - got it :)

In a nutshell, I much prefer the dining room dinners on Princess, other dining room meals on RC (their dining room lunch salad bar is simply wonderful), buffets prefer RC, love Princess International Cafe and entertainment usually better on RC. Basically very similar lines, IMHO.

Cabins I find smaller on RC.

I am sailing Oasis this Saturday, my first ever on RCI - I have sailed 33 time with Princess. i will be writing a blog and comparisson but on a dedicated blog site.

So far I have noticed many difference, some good some not so good, but overall nothing bad with regards to reservation, cabins, online booking items.

Vickie

Only done Oasis of the seas more or less the same as princess. But princess MDR Food is more WOW than rci and princess has better closet space in inside cabin. RCI (oasis) Hits back with some amazing shows (better than land based shows) park cafes for salad bar and roast beef sandwiches!

said i was not going to compare but you can not help yourself.

Stu k

Edge to Princess for us UNLESS you are going to sail Allure or Oasis...

Overall, we felt Princess had a greater variety of activity offerings than RCCL.

We liked MDR food on RCCL a tad better. Buffets about the same. BUT Princess has terrific burgers & pizza by the pool.

We like the layout of the interior room on Princess a bit better than RCCL...you get some privacy for dressing with that layout.

We danced late into the night at Skywalkers...disco on RCCL Mariner of the Seas was always only 20 somethings.

NOW that being said....Allure BLEW US AWAY. The adults only Solarium, the huge hot tubs, all the neighborhoods, amazing specialty restaurants..we totally fell in love with that ship!

I am sailing Oasis this Saturday, my first ever on RCI - I have sailed 33 time with Princess. i will be writing a blog and comparisson but on a dedicated blog site.

So far I have noticed many difference, some good some not so good, but overall nothing bad with regards to reservation, cabins, online booking items.

Vickie

Have a great time...where will you be posting your blog?

thanks i will be posting on my blog page, not allowed to share links here though but if you search Vickie Bernie cruise blog you should find it

vickie

Found it...thanks! We did two RC cruises this year...really loved them...very high energy cruise directors and lots, lots, lots of fun!

Carole

Archived