Which pier a ship docks at...

SoBaycruiser

Is there anyway to find out in advance as to which pier a ship will dock during a cruise. We will be doing a Baltic cruise in June and several of the ports have multiple piers and therefore different directions on how to get into town. I wouldn't think this would be available until the last moment but you all have surprised me before as to hidden gems of information.

Thanks.

Some ports are very organized and even have websites. I've seen port websites which will show you the schedule for individual docks up to two years in advance. Of course random events may change dock plans on a daily basis but that's probably the best information you'll get.

Try some web searches, I'd bet you will come up with something.

Is there anyway to find out in advance as to which pier a ship will dock during a cruise. We will be doing a Baltic cruise in June and several of the ports have multiple piers and therefore different directions on how to get into town.

Are you asking about multiple piers at a single location in a port or are you asking about multiple locations for ports for a city?

For example, Copenhagen has two port areas, each with its own set of piers. Are you asking which port area or which pier at one of the port areas?

Are you asking about multiple piers at a single location in a port or are you asking about multiple locations for ports for a city?

For example, Copenhagen has two port areas, each with its own set of piers. Are you asking which port area or which pier at one of the port areas?

Yes, multiple port areas such as Copenhagen, Stockholm and St Petersburg. Some cities have downtown docking facilities and some further away. Since the ports normally know which ships will be in port months in advance, I would think they have a plan.

We have always know which dock we are using in advance in cities with different dock areas, but have had pier positions change at the last minute, especially in Alaska ports, where it really feels pretty random.

You appear to be asking about Ocean Princess?? In St. Petersburg, most ships must dock at the new piers, but smaller ships can dock downtown. I don't know if Ocean and Pacific have ever docked downtown, but her sisters sailing with Azamara and Oceania dock downtown. EM

Most ports publish two things: a cruise schedule and port arrivals/departures. Search for the port, then search for one of the above. Also, certain other websites and local newspapers often publish cruise ships schedules so that merchants and the public will be aware.

Cruise lines reserve berths about 18 months in advance and often have agreements with ports on what piers their ships will dock at. The ports themselves set their own rules as to which ships get to dock where. There is a great discussion about Italian and Greek ports on Seatrade Insider right now about this very issue.

You appear to be asking about Ocean Princess?? In St. Petersburg, most ships must dock at the new piers, but smaller ships can dock downtown. I don't know if Ocean and Pacific have ever docked downtown, but her sisters sailing with Azamara and Oceania dock downtown. EM

Yes we are on the Ocean Princess. Following everyone's advice to check the ports themselves, I found we will be at VÄRTAHAMNEN in Stockholm. I couldn't find a list for Copenhagen but they said most dock downtown except for those cruises that originate or terminate in Copenhagen.

As to St Petersburg, I've read that Azamara and Oceania often dock downtown but 3 small ships come in the day before us for overnight stays so I assume we'll be at the main terminal. That one doesn't make as much difference since we won't be wandering around on our own. I do wish we had gotten closer into downtown in Stockholm.

Thanks to you and everyone who responded.

If anyone know sights for other cities with dual port areas, I'd appreciate a link.

Some ports are very organized and even have websites. I've seen port websites which will show you the schedule for individual docks up to two years in advance. Of course random events may change dock plans on a daily basis but that's probably the best information you'll get.

Try some web searches, I'd bet you will come up with something.

Yes, multiple port areas such as Copenhagen, Stockholm and St Petersburg. Some cities have downtown docking facilities and some further away. Since the ports normally know which ships will be in port months in advance, I would think they have a plan.

I always check the websites for each port anyway. Not only to check their cruise calendar, which will have the info above, but often there's ton of great info to be found.

Yes we are on the Ocean Princess. Following everyone's advice to check the ports themselves, I found we will be at VÄRTAHAMNEN in Stockholm. I couldn't find a list for Copenhagen but they said most dock downtown except for those cruises that originate or terminate in Copenhagen.

As to St Petersburg, I've read that Azamara and Oceania often dock downtown but 3 small ships come in the day before us for overnight stays so I assume we'll be at the main terminal. That one doesn't make as much difference since we won't be wandering around on our own. I do wish we had gotten closer into downtown in Stockholm.

Thanks to you and everyone who responded.

If anyone know sights for other cities with dual port areas, I'd appreciate a link.

Copenhagen website shows C254 for the Ocean Princess. I believe that is at the Freeport terminal but I can't confirm.

http://www.cmport.com/ships-in-port/cruise-ships/cruise-list-2013

We have always know which dock we are using in advance in cities with different dock areas, but have had pier positions change at the last minute, especially in Alaska ports, where it really feels pretty random.

Alaska is not random at all. For years, the ports have been posted many months in advance and for the most part, has been extremely accurate.

Unless something unexpected shows up, the Captain ofcourse knows which pier he will be at.

Copenhagen website shows C254 for the Ocean Princess. I believe that is at the Freeport terminal but I can't confirm.

http://www.cmport.com/ships-in-port/cruise-ships/cruise-list-2013

Thanks. C254, unfortunately, is Orientkaj at Free port. I guess the Ocean Princess isn't a frequent visitor so has no priority or pull to be docked closer into town. But at least now I can make plans.

Archived