Just back from Westerdam

Loralu

I'm not basing my comments on recent pricing. I've been following pricing since the summer and the trend has been low for months so this is not just a couple week thing. I'm struggling to get ready for Xmas since I returned from my cruise a week ago. I'm not fond of cruising this late in the year. Had I decided to go in Sept and Oct this year there were some unbeatable low pricing. I've heard that HAL is going to change it's pricing for those that book further out. I hope they make good on that.

I am referencing your comments concerning Jaqui's cruise as well as the general time frame of these cruises. September and October of course would fall under what I said about hurricane season.

For your peace of mind I hope they do something to help out similar to what Carnival has with their super saver pricing, but I wouldn't hold my breathe about discounting late when they are having trouble filling the ship. All businesses that survive run sales when the merchandise is sitting.

If someone is bringing 2 cases of wine on for a 1 week cruise I highly doubt if they will drink nothing on board if they were only permitted to bring a bottle or 2 on. I have no idea how many bottles are in a case but suggest that person is a pretty serious drinker if that is what they need to get them through a week. If they are bringing it on for 40 people that is entirely different.

Are you certain the cases are full of wine? I've brought on 2 or 3 bottles of wine, a 6 pack of beer and a bottle of cranberry juice, all packed in a cardboard box, which just happened to be packed in a used wine box. I never expected to be judged so harshly! :eek:

Are you certain the cases are full of wine? I've brought on 2 or 3 bottles of wine, a 6 pack of beer and a bottle of cranberry juice, all packed in a cardboard box, which just happened to be packed in a used wine box. I never expected to be judged so harshly! :eek:

Now you know.:rolleyes::D

You do realize that you are not allowed to bring on beer? Don't let rules stop you.

You do realize that you are not allowed to bring on beer? Don't let rules stop you.

Well, that's debatable, I think! Here's a quote from HAL website:

Except for wine and champagne, guests cannot bring hard alcohol on board for private consumption. Hard alcohol purchased on board in the duty free shops or in port will be collected, stored for safekeeping and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the voyage.

Last I checked, beer wasn't considered hard alcohol. They have not confiscated the beer. And if they do? Oh well!

This notion that HAL allowing passengers to bring wine on board is some how dramatically impacting HALs revenue is silly beyond belief. Do you honestly think HAL has not considered this? Some people choose to cruise on HAL because they can bring their own wine. Its not the only reason I like HAL, but its certainly one of the big reasons and if they stop allowing it, I will likely go somewhere else and take all of my cruise money with me.

And, please tell me how many passengers do you see bringing "cases and cases" of wine on board for a 7 night cruise? Heck, most of the people I've met on cruises weren't even aware that you could bring it and assumed they couldn't, like most other cruise lines. If it were a problem, HAL would have changed the policy years ago. It only seems to be a problem for a few people on this site who seem to be having all of their cruises ruined by other people bring cases and cases on wine on board. The whole thing makes me laugh.

Well, that's debatable, I think! Here's a quote from HAL website:

Except for wine and champagne, guests cannot bring hard alcohol on board for private consumption. Hard alcohol purchased on board in the duty free shops or in port will be collected, stored for safekeeping and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the voyage.

Last I checked, beer wasn't considered hard alcohol. They have not confiscated the beer. And if they do? Oh well!

On our recent Westerdam cruise, we saw the 'liquor hold table' at the gangway and six packs of beer were prominently noticed on the tables. Beer was confiscated to be held until last night of the cruise.

If someone is bringing 2 cases of wine on for a 1 week cruise I highly doubt if they will drink nothing on board if they were only permitted to bring a bottle or 2 on. I have no idea how many bottles are in a case but suggest that person is a pretty serious drinker if that is what they need to get them through a week. If they are bringing it on for 40 people that is entirely different.

I only bring on 9 or 10 bottles for a 7 day cruise, and we are serious about drinking it, there are 12 bottles in a case.

The lower price after the final payment date is what is getting us on the Westerdam this coming Sunday. DH teaches at a community college, so our vacations are tied to his breaks. I generally watch several different cruises early on to see if there's going to be one that fits his schedule and our budget. This year I was watching prices on a couple of Princess ships, a Celebrity ship, and the Westerdam. HAL won out. We're getting a balcony cabin for less than an inside would have cost on the Princess ship that leaves the same day.

This notion that HAL allowing passengers to bring wine on board is some how dramatically impacting HALs revenue is silly beyond belief. Do you honestly think HAL has not considered this? Some people choose to cruise on HAL because they can bring their own wine. Its not the only reason I like HAL, but its certainly one of the big reasons and if they stop allowing it, I will likely go somewhere else and take all of my cruise money with me.

And, please tell me how many passengers do you see bringing "cases and cases" of wine on board for a 7 night cruise? Heck, most of the people I've met on cruises weren't even aware that you could bring it and assumed they couldn't, like most other cruise lines. If it were a problem, HAL would have changed the policy years ago. It only seems to be a problem for a few people on this site who seem to be having all of their cruises ruined by other people bring cases and cases on wine on board. The whole thing makes me laugh.

Are you saying the sports teams don't like sellling beer for $10 a glass at the games? Why not let all fans tote their own schaefer and schlitz with them,it won't hurt anything right?

Are you saying the sports teams don't like sellling beer for $10 a glass at the games? Why not let all fans tote their own schaefer and schlitz with them,it won't hurt anything right?

That sounds like a great idea! Er, ah, except Schaefer and Schlitz wouldn't be my choices.:) That and the driving thing.

Archived