Why do we need a passport?

BruceMuzz

Noone has mentioned the safety issue,,,regardless of the passport. The lady was on oxygen, flowing oxygen...and lighting up cigarettes. Oxygen is the primary fuel of fire. If I worked on a ship and saw that, I would send the person off fast. The risk of explosion is there. EM

Most people with the described medical condition have very low flow oxygen, commonly referred to as 2 liters per minute, which is about the lowest flow possible. Delivered by nasal canula to the nose. In a highly oxygen enriched atmosphere, like the situation in Apollo 1, a flash fire is possible. This is not a highly enriched atmosphere, in fact it is barely enriched at all. So an explosion would be extremely unlikely. Yes, smoking around oxygen is always restricted, due to the possible enhancement of any fire.

Don't take that an endorsement of smoking when you have lung disease. That is absolutely not my point. Having lost my Dad to lung cancer from smoking, I am no fan of smoking.

And yes, we have had passports for 30 years.

I've never understood the resistance and hostility towards the idea of getting a passport (the lame cost argument is hogwash) but it's there and isn't going to change until the cruiselines insist that ALL passengers have a valid passport in order to board no matter where the destination. I can hear the howls of protest from here (it's a Govmint conspiracy I tell ya!) and the cruiselines would lose a LOT of business so they won't do it.

Why do you need a passport? Because one day you might like to venture beyond the realm of the closed loop cruise or even fly to another part of the world to see what the rest of the world holds.

In my country, Australia, we have to hold a passport to leave unless we are doing a cruise that does not leave our waters. However visas are a different matter.

I would encourage everyone of any age to have a passport. My youngest nephew is 3 and he has one, we can travel anywhere in the world and experience and learn from other cultures, even the USA!

At that point we would get a passport....and since it is not possible for us to travel at the last minute we would have plenty of time to get a passport for a vacation to foreign soil that was not a closed loop cruise. Why do you assume that people who currently don't have a passport would be limited in this matter? Not currently having a passport does not stop one from purchasing one in the future if their travel requires it.

Nine cruises or the same cruise 9 times? I can't imagine cruising that much and never taking a cruise to an area that required a pasport.

9 cruises over the last 11 years and we have never needed a passport. Each cruise we stopped at a port that was new to us except the last one...but that was ok because the last one we were sailing for the ship and not the ports.

I've never understood the resistance and hostility towards the idea of getting a passport (the lame cost argument is hogwash) but it's there and isn't going to change until the cruiselines insist that ALL passengers have a valid passport in order to board no matter where the destination. I can hear the howls of protest from here (it's a Govmint conspiracy I tell ya!) and the cruiselines would lose a LOT of business so they won't do it.

I've never understood the need to push passports on people who do not need them for the type of traveling they are doing. The government gives us the choice not to get them for closed loop cruises. So why are you so adament that we have to? Why do you care what I do as long as it is legal and my choice? I have no problem getting a passport if it is a necessary expense for the type of vacation I am planning. So far it hasn't been. I don't make a point of spending my money on things I don't need...so yes I guess it is a cost argument. Whether you think it is hogwash or not.

In New York, $6 - $7 a pack. It's an expensive habit, but then again, so is cruising.

where in ny is it that? in nyc its 13.50 or more. Canadian prices. I am fairly sure its 9.50 or more almost everyplace in nys.

its not that cheap on long island or upstate and the reservations don"t sell much branded cigs in ny either

btw while I offer condolences to the family of the woman who died, in the end she died doing it her way...

where in ny is it that? in nyc its 13.50 or more. Canadian prices. I am fairly sure its 9.50 or more almost everyplace in nys.

its not that cheap on long island or upstate and the reservations don"t sell much branded cigs in ny either

It was at a gas station during the summer, but I could be remembering it wrong (not a smoker); it struck me as high but clearly it's even more than I remember.

..........And as Kitty9 posted, maybe she knew the end was near and going out on a cruise ship/foreign country was what she wanted.

My best friend ABSOLUTELY does not want me, family or friends around during her last days.

She is doing it herself in her way. Her and her dogs out in the desert and hasta la vista. Not even her husband if he is still alive.

Something to think about

Kitty and greatam, from reading this thread, that is the impression that I got too.

Many people say that if they learned they had only a short time left to live, they would choose to spend it on a cruise ship (or some other place they enjoy) instead of in a nursing home.

I know some people who enjoyed smoking but gave it up for health reasons who say they would start smoking again if they knew they had only a short time left to live.

Understandably the woman would not be concerned about having a passport or insurance if she had no intention of coming back and knew that she would not be around to get stuck paying the bills.

Maybe she did not have any remaining family, or even if she did, maybe she also did not want them around in her last days.

Maybe she was thinking of that old Sinatra song and did it her way.

Maybe she was at the point where she just didn't give a d**n.

It is easy for us all to speculate and come up with our own theories, but none of us actually knew the woman and we really don't know her reasons for doing it the way she did.

Archived