Corkage fee

seaver

We have not been charged the corkage fee but we were able to look at the staff bulletin which related to the fee. It appears that of the $25 charged, $12.50 is posted to Revenue and the remaining $12.50 goes to the member of staff who writes up the ticket.

This makes staff enforcement of the fee a very lucrative incentive!!

We refused to pay the fee (2 times), so we took our own small corkscrew and had no problems drinking the wine wherever and whenever we wanted.

PS--we just got off Freedom today.:)

Was this for consumption in the cabin ( where there is no fee anyway ) or in the dining room /specialty restaurant?

Thanks, M

If you bring the wine to your table already uncorked, you won't be charged the fee.

If people do this then RCI will quickly reverse their policy and stop permitting people to bring wine on. This is abusing the policy. A corkage fee has NOTHING to do with physically removing the cork. It is a charge for restaurants to recover lost revenue by permitting guests to bring a bottle of wine not on the restaurant's wine list - the customer gains by having a special wine or wine they like not otherwise available and the corkage fee keeps the restaurant from being out too much money by allowing this convenience to the guest.

Was this for consumption in the cabin ( where there is no fee anyway ) or in the dining room /specialty restaurant?

Thanks, M

Our room steward kept 2 clean wine glasses in our room every day and hubby would take a glass with him to the dining room and then had another while dining. We had C&A coupons to buy one drink, get another drink free, so we used those for glasses of wine.

(We only ate dinner in the MDR 3 or 4 nights).

If people do this then RCI will quickly reverse their policy and stop permitting people to bring wine on. This is abusing the policy. A corkage fee has NOTHING to do with physically removing the cork. It is a charge for restaurants to recover lost revenue by permitting guests to bring a bottle of wine not on the restaurant's wine list - the customer gains by having a special wine or wine they like not otherwise available and the corkage fee keeps the restaurant from being out too much money by allowing this convenience to the guest.

Couldn't agree with you more.....please don't abuse this new perk! I am more than happy to pay corkage for the privilege of bringing my own wine into the MDR.

Sheila.

Thanks – Totally agree!

We are very happy to be able to (once again) bring a special bottle or two. When wine was permitted many years ago, we gladly paid the corkage to bring a special bottle into the dining room.

Cheers!

M

Can your cabin attendant get you wine glasses and a corkscrew on day one? Can you also get these from a bar? We are flying and would prefer not to have to pack a corkscrew.

Yes, the cabin attendant will supply you with a corkscrew and wine glasses.. just ask once onboard.

Can your cabin attendant get you wine glasses and a corkscrew on day one? Can you also get these from a bar? We are flying and would prefer not to have to pack a corkscrew.

The attendants are very busy the first afternoon and you may not get glasses prior to sail away. If you want to drink your wine prior to dinner, you might do better just picking up glasses from any bar. I believe we’ve flown with the small “t” type ( like the one you get with RCCL wine) corkscrew . If you are checking any luggage, any type of corkscrew is fine.

Enjoy

M

The attendants are very busy the first afternoon and you may not get glasses prior to sail away. If you want to drink your wine prior to dinner, you might do better just picking up glasses from any bar. I believe we’ve flown with the small “t” type ( like the one you get with RCCL wine) corkscrew . If you are checking any luggage, any type of corkscrew is fine.

Enjoy

M

Can I also get one from one of the bars?

We just returned from Dec 3-8 cruise on Jewel of the Seas trip to Cayman and Cozumel.

Royal Caribbean currently allows you to bring aboard 2 bottles of wine, per person, on board with luggage at start of cruise. They did confiscate my 6 pack of beer, and a bottle of champagne until the end of the cruise, but stated that they recently changed their policy and allow you to bring on the wine.

We brought a bottle to dinner and were charged $20 corkage fee, but were told that it was $5 per person x 4 = $20.

We just returned from Dec 3-8 cruise on Jewel of the Seas trip to Cayman and Cozumel.

Royal Caribbean currently allows you to bring aboard 2 bottles of wine, per person, on board with luggage at start of cruise. They did confiscate my 6 pack of beer, and a bottle of champagne until the end of the cruise, but stated that they recently changed their policy and allow you to bring on the wine.

We brought a bottle to dinner and were charged $20 corkage fee, but were told that it was $5 per person x 4 = $20.

Champagne up to 750ml is allowed. Was it a larger bottle?

We always pack a smaller corkscrew that we use for traveling in our checked luggage. No need to put it in your carry on bag.

If you bring the wine to your table already uncorked, you won't be charged the fee.

Have you actually done this? I would assume that unless its something that they actually sell on their wine list that they would still charge you. Again, "corkage fee" has nothing to do with the actual removal of the cork....or unscrewing of the cap.

To answer the earlier question regarding wine versus champagne being brought on the ship: they had impounded the bags with a note as to how many bottles the x-ray machine noted were in each suitcase. Upon my opening the bag and removing the bottles, he said no champagne at all, only wine was allowed, so the size bottle (it was a standard size champagne bottle) was irrelevant. I tried to convince him that champagne is only bubbly wine, but he was steadfast in his version of the rule.

I fly with at least one corkscrew in my carry on all the time and have never been stopped by TSA.:)

To answer the earlier question regarding wine versus champagne being brought on the ship: they had impounded the bags with a note as to how many bottles the x-ray machine noted were in each suitcase. Upon my opening the bag and removing the bottles, he said no champagne at all, only wine was allowed, so the size bottle (it was a standard size champagne bottle) was irrelevant. I tried to convince him that champagne is only bubbly wine, but he was steadfast in his version of the rule.

If the champagne was only a second bottle (and not a third or fourth), then you should have been allowed to take it. The new policy says that wine or champagne is permitted.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=260&faqSubjectId=333&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqType=faq

Archived