Any Suggestions?

harry0

My wife and I are from NJ and are looking to visit Australia this January and would like to cruise. We are in our early 50s and are fairly active.

We usually cruise Royal and Celebrity and are looking at either:

Voyager 1/13/13-14 day from Sydney

Solstice 1/28/13-18 day-Auckland to Perth (this one is on sale and is much less expensive)

I know its last minute but that's the way our schedule is. If anyone has any input on either cruise I would appreciate it.

We have never flown anywhere this far and wonder if we should maybe fly to LA and stay a night then on to Australia.

I have many other questions but will leave it at that for now and search this board for more info.

Thanks

In advance

Harry

We have never flown anywhere this far and wonder if we should maybe fly to LA and stay a night then on to Australia.
I think the very first thing that I'd suggest, if you haven't already done it, is to see how much it would cost you to fly to do either of these cruises. Leave aside the frilly questions of stopovers and so on - what you want is the ballpark figure of the likely cost.

On a very quick and dirty search, it looks to me like getting a ticket at this very late stage for the earlier of those cruises might be something in the region of $2,700 per person. If that's a deal breaker, and you can't find anything significantly cheaper than that, that alone will provide you with the answer about this.

My wife and I are from NJ and are looking to visit Australia this January and would like to cruise. We are in our early 50s and are fairly active. We usually cruise Royal and Celebrity and are looking at either:

Voyager 1/13/13-14 day from Sydney

Solstice 1/28/13-18 day-Auckland to Perth (this one is on sale and is much less expensive)

I know its last minute but that's the way our schedule is. If anyone has any input on either cruise I would appreciate it.

We have never flown anywhere this far and wonder if we should maybe fly to LA and stay a night then on to Australia. I have many other questions but will leave it at that for now and search this board for more info. Thanks In advance. Harry

Hi, Harry! Wise, other comments on checking out the airfare and other costs. The Celebrity Solstice is a great, nice ship. We super enjoyed her last year in the Med. The 18-day cruise to Perth might be cheaper, but there could be reasons. This includes the airfare and distance challenges getting back from Perth. There are some good stops along that southern part of Australia, but also some parts that are not the "best of the best". That might be why demand is lower for this cruise and prices dropped. You'll need to look at the overall pricing and how your time is focused on what you most want to see and do. The first part of this cruise does have some great stops in NZ. For a balcony and 18 days, a $2000 pp price is good for this cruise and ship. If and if??

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 111,800 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

We are definitely leaning toward the Celebrity -Auckland to Perth cruise

Qantas looks like our flight choice but I am still looking at other options

Depating 1/24 from

PHL to Dallas-Brisbane to Auckland

Returning 2/18

Perth to Sydney to Dallas to PHL

That gives us a couple of days pre cruise in Auckland and a couple days post cruise in Perth.

Thanks for the heads up about the Visa-any other advice would be appreciated.

It looks like you have already chosen an itinerary that does not include an overnight stay in LA. Good for you. I definitely would not recommend it.

We have travelled to/from Australia many times. We live on the East Coast and one time I thought it would be a good idea to break up our trip with an overnight in LA. It was actually NOT a good idea. You have to schlep your luggage to your hotel; you have to schelp it back again the next day; you have to go through security yet again (which I hate); you have to pay for a night's accommodation in an airport hotel; you don't really get a great night's sleep.

Such a long trip (especially from PHL) does seem daunting, but it's really not so bad, especially if you are flying Qantas. Even in coach, we felt as if we had a fair amount of room in our seats and we slept several hours. Each of the seats has an individual screen with a lot of choices of movies, TV programs and games, so there's lots of entertainment (and you get to choose). The food is among the best I've ever experienced on a plane and the staff is friendly--not grouchy like lots of U.S. flight attendants.

BTW, I've been to all the places listed on the Solstice itinerary and I really like all of them. That's the cruise I'd choose.

We are definitely leaning toward the Celebrity -Auckland to Perth cruise

Qantas looks like our flight choice but I am still looking at other options

Depating 1/24 from

PHL to Dallas-Brisbane to Auckland

Returning 2/18

Perth to Sydney to Dallas to PHL

That gives us a couple of days pre cruise in Auckland and a couple days post cruise in Perth.

Thanks for the heads up about the Visa-any other advice would be appreciated.

Have never been on Solstice as this is her first season in Australia/NZ but on the face of it i would also choose the Solstice itinerary and she appears to be a much nicer ship from all reports on CC.

Have you considered a few days stopover in Sydney on your way home? Seems a pity to travel so far and miss seeing Sydney. One of the finest harbours in the world. The flight from Perth to Sydney is 4.5 hours.

cassamanda

We do a 2 day stop at Sydney during the cruise(9:30 am to 6 pm the following day). I am hoping this will be enough time to at least get a taste of Sydney.

Grad UT

I read a post on this board, I believe was from you and took your advice about LA. We have never been to California but that will have to wait for another trip.

I will wait until tomorrow to book to take advantage of the sale on the cruise.

The air is listed at $3300 pp I will wait until Tuesday to book this also.

Then I will book my hotel in Auckland and Perth and start planning for the ports.

Thanks for all your help.

We are looking forward to this adventure, keep the comments/advice coming.

Harry and Gail

We do a 2 day stop at Sydney during the cruise(9:30 am to 6 pm the following day). I am hoping this will be enough time to at least get a taste of Sydney. I will wait until tomorrow to book to take advantage of the sale on the cruise. We are looking forward to this adventure, keep the comments/advice coming. Harry and Gail

Good luck, Harry, on your booking and trip. During that two-day stop in Sydney, you'll get a good sampling there. The Solstice just arrived there. Below are some pictures to get you excited about this "adventure".

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 111,951 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Here are four very dramatic views of the Solstice making its first visit to Sydney's famed harbor on Sunday, December 9, 2012. These were taken by an Australian resident who took a helicopter ride around the harbor, offering unique visual viewpoints of this Celebrity ship making its opening visit here. What a wonderful setting in which the big, big Solstice will be docked, spending so much time during the coming winters(for us, summer for those in Australia!.

SolsticeSydneyHeliWideBridge.jpg

SolsticeSydneyHeliWideDowntown.jpg

SolsticeSydneyHeliOperaShipTight.jpg

SolsticeSydneyNightWithBridge.jpg

Those are beautiful photos....thank you for posting them! Our ship, the Celebrity Millennium was there in Nov, docked there too. It's a perfect spot to be in Sydney. The ferries take off from there, and we found the ferry system to b highly efficient and a great way to cruise the harbour and get to places. Sydney was an awesome city. Enjoy your time there!

Those are beautiful photos....thank you for posting them! Our ship, the Celebrity Millennium was there in Nov, docked there too. It's a perfect spot to be in Sydney. The ferries take off from there, and we found the ferry system to b highly efficient and a great way to cruise the harbour and get to places. Sydney was an awesome city. Enjoy your time there!

Appreciate, Linda, your follow-up and nice comments. Yes, we are super looking forward to Sydney and Australia. Plan to enjoy that scenic harbor, maybe taking a ferry across to the famed zoo there. PLUS, excited about New Zealand, that everyone super loves.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 111,951 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Re the long flights; if you think positively it wont be too bad. Australians do them constantly as almost everywhere is a long way, and everyone seems to have some of their family living on the other side of the world.

I cannot sleep in a plane but I remind myself that lack of sleep never killed anyone, think of the parents of little babies! I watched 10 episodes of Downton Abbey on my last trip to Europe; four going over and six coming back.

But my best help was recommended by my brother, who travels to Colorado every year to ski. Noise cancelling headphones. They make a wonderful difference.

Hope yu have a great trip.

Thanks for all the help

We finally booked our Solstice cruise

2b Balcony-Tuesday Sale

Flight-Air NZ-better rates-paid extra for the double seats in back for long flights. No LAX

Whhheeww-that was a tough job!

Even though my wife did most of it-LOL

Karenella-I thought I was the only one that dosent sleep on a flight-whenever I look around it seems like everyone is sleeping-I think there is something wrong with me. I dont think we have Downtown Abbey here in the states but I am sure I will check it out.

Thanks everyone

cassamanda

We do a 2 day stop at Sydney during the cruise(9:30 am to 6 pm the following day). I am hoping this will be enough time to at least get a taste of Sydney.

Harry and Gail

Fair enough. You will love Sydney. Lots of help and suggestions available on these boards for things to do depending on your interests. Harbour cruises, visit to Manly beach (better than Bondi beach imo - but you wil get lots of arguments from others), Toronga Zoo, Watson's Bay and the infamous Gap. Darling Harbour precinct for the Maritime Museum, aquarium, entertainment and fine dining - not to forget The Rocks area right next to the ship.. Downtown Sydney for shopping, historical buildings, museums etc etc. Bridge Climb - but you can climb the nearest pylon to the ship for just $11 for great views and a bridge museum.

You ARE going to be busy:)

We booked our hotel(3 days precruise) - the Rendezvous in Auckland.

Our game plan is:

Take Discount Taxi from airport to hotel.

Go to seafood festival Saturday or Sunday.

Other 2 days are open for suggestions.

Nothing planned yet for ports.

We are still looking into the best option to exchange our money US to NZ.

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks again

Harry and Gail

Archived