Anyone go on a cruise and not plan excurions

Izzybeff

We've done this for some ports, but not for a whole cruise. We've been disappointed generally, if we "wing it." The times we weren't disappointed is when we came armed with options and maps, and didn't just rely on tour hawkers to draw up our plan for us.

I think our first visit to Tortola is the only time I wasn't disappointed at all. We just took an island tour, and in retrospect there were such limited options in our price point, and we'd done cool things elsewhere, that I don't feel like we missed out on any other opportunities by not doing our planning and research.

I think a lot depends on your destination. Some ports are most "decide at the last minute" friendly than others.

Last cruise not only didn't we plan any excursions, we didn't really do any.

I "sort of" did one in Greneda. I knew some people from my Roll Call thread were taking the little trolley that goes through the island at a certain time. I showed up, bought a ticket from the kioski & tagged along but that was it.

Otherwise, we just wandered around then went back on board to relax.

As someone else pointed out, if there is something you are dying to do, book it so that it doesn't sell out. Otherwise you can have a great time playing it by ear.

ahead of time?

I'm doing a solo in January and I just can't decide so i'm thinking about not planning any and just seeing what I feel like doing that day.

If you've done it, did it work out for you?

We went to Hawaii in January. Nothing looked interesting from the website, so we didn't prebook anything. Figured we would just do what we could do. Ended up booking two on the ship.

ahead of time?

I'm doing a solo in January and I just can't decide so i'm thinking about not planning any and just seeing what I feel like doing that day.

We rarely pre-book any and sometimes add one, sometimes not. I do research some of the ports and determine if there is really anything there or not. If not, I am inclined to do an excursion.

An example is next month, one of our stops is in Costa Maya. There really isn't a lot there so I may consider an excursion but in looking at them, there is not much offered either. Accordingly, we'll probably jump on the local bus, spend the $2 and go to "town" (if you can call it that?) and drink beer next to the beach.

I've had more great times winging it than on excursions. BUT do your research and determine if anything spins your top or as I have found sometimes a day on the boat is a pretty good day without anyone around is a pretty good day also.

Totally depends on you, your expectations and comfort level.

ahead of time?

We did a whole cruise without booking a single excursion . For us the ship and cruise is the main thing , ports are secondary.

The first time we cruised we did not plan any excursions. We were generally disappointed because we felt we didn't see the highlights of the island or the taxi took us much further than needed. Now we plan ahead and get much more out of every stop. We try to save money, and get better quality trips, by booking on our own, not through the cruise line. The destination and ports of call boards on this web site are invaluable sources for this information.

We did a whole cruise without booking a single excursion . For us the ship and cruise is the main thing , ports are secondary.

I'm the same way. (I can't say the same for my GF and her kids, however.)

On our Epic cruise last month, we had nothing pre-booked. When we got to St. Martin we booked an island tour. It was good. Not awesome. Just good.

At St. Thomas, my GF and her teenage daughter did a snorkel/kayak excursion through NCL that they booked the night before after seeing it on the TV. Her teenage son and myself just hung around the ship and enjoyed the peace and quiet. This was actually my favourite day of the cruise.

At Nassau, we just walked around the dump for a bit and returned to the ship.

We all had a great time with no regrets whatsoever. Our upcoming Dawn cruise will be pretty much the same. Just the two of us are going with no excursion plans whatsoever.

For the Caribbean ports there are a million tour guides and taxi's at the port's so we never book excursions, especially now that NCL wants payment up front. We have always have had good luck at doing so and of course much less cost Because we have done the ports so many times we often end up staying on board and enjoying the quietness of the pool area with lack of people particular ankle bitters.

ahead of time?

Hard to comment not knowing where you are cruising, however last time we booked some with NCL and some with Shore Excursions. Costa Maya had a fascinating walking tour of the pyramids with an extremely knowledgeable local guide. It was both educational and fascinating. We also did the zip line tour in Honduras (Roatan) and it was probably the most exciting 'touristy' thing we have ever done.

Next cruise, we are leaving from Venice and will likely book something in Turkey and Croatia. I've been to Athens before and may just lead DW up the hill to see the Parthenon without an official trip.

Just got back from a cruise and did no excursions! Went into "town" in St. Martin's and St. Thomas, walked around, bought 1 T-shirt and got back on the boat. I love the partially empty ship. Not planning on doing any excursions on the next one, and I am also a solo cruiser.:) Big thing though is I have been to most of the ports more than once and have done a lot of the tours, etc.

Never booked ahead and never took the official tour. Although we once took the transfer only from Civitevecchia to downtown Rome. Out of convenience. Almost always you have plenty of opportunities to do your own exploring. And with a fraction of the cost of the NCL tours. It just takes some planning ahead but that is for us a part of the pre cruise fun. I always feel a bit akward when NCL warns the passengers that taking the official tours secures them that they will not be left behind. That being true, the opposite is true also. Not taking the official tour does not mean you will risk getting into trouble. Unless you do stupid things.

I'm going next month to Costa Maya, Belize, Roatan & Cozumel.

In the past I've always been with others so i've had to do excursions that everyone agreed on. I've enjoyed some and not enjoyed others. I've always felt like I didn't get enough time to relax on the boat so I think i'm going to spend a lot of time doing that this time.

I did book a short tour in Belize just to see the area. Cozumel I've been to twice and will be going again in 2014 so I think i'm just staying on the ship. Costa Maya i'm thinking of going to Tropicante and just hanging out on the beach and I think in Roatan I may get off the boat look through the shops and get right back on.

I always feel like I should be planning something.

I think this depends on:

1. What ports you stop at. Some are much easier to "wing" or just explore on your own without a guided tour than others. Even without booking shore excursions, I think it's always a good idea to do a bit of reading about the port so that you can wander on your own or figure out options.

2. How much you want to spend. If you book an independent tour ahead of time with some people on your Roll Call, you can sometimes save a lot of money. This requires advance research/planning.

3. How disappointed you might be if you miss something. Would you be upset if you end up seeing a great excursion on the ship that sells out? Or would you be fine just sitting on the ship and not even setting foot at that port?

As you can see from the responses, everyone has very different opinions on experiences on this. If you provide more info on your situation, others might be able to advise better too.

We don't book ahead of time, mainly because of unpredictable weather.

We usually look through the brochures and cruise tours, and write a list of the things from all the tours that look interesting to us. After reaching port, we give the list to a taxi driver and ask if we can do the things on the list, how long will it take, and what is the cost. We work with the driver to pare the list down to the alloted time and an acceptable cost. I also ask the driver to show us anything else that he likes about his city -- country--or home area.

The results have been very good customized tours at very good prices.

This has worked for us for over 25 years.

Hi I also travel solo alot and here is what I do. In Europe I always do excursions some ncl some with roll call. I have been to carribean alot too but on my next cruise I am going to 2islands I haven't been in awhile so I am booking 2 excursions for 3and 4hrs tours with ncl. My roll call is great and usually some of us go on same excursions and even if they didn't I never felt weird on an excursion alone everyone is usually really nice. I also like shorter tours on islands so I can either enjoy the pier or ship alittle before leaving. Have a great cruise I love solo cruising so will you

ahead of time?

Izzybeth, I have always sailed solo, and I wait until I get on board the ship before I book any excursions. I do look at what is available on line, but wait till boarding to book them. I know some say that you should book ahead of time to make sure you get the trip you want, maybe I have been lucky but I have never had an excursion I wanted to go on sold out prior to my booking the ones I wanted. I have sailed most of the mass market lines and am Platinum on NCL and found it that way on all of the lines I have sailed with. Yes, sometimes you can find a cheaper fare for a similar trip but I have always used the ship's tours as when you are only paying for one, it is not that much of a savings and I like the added security of Knowing the ship won't leave me if I don't get back in time from my excursion which does happen on non ship excursions once and awhile. Happy Sailing.

We've done this for some ports, but not for a whole cruise. We've been disappointed generally, if we "wing it." The times we weren't disappointed is when we came armed with options and maps, and didn't just rely on tour hawkers to draw up our plan for us.

I think our first visit to Tortola is the only time I wasn't disappointed at all. We just took an island tour, and in retrospect there were such limited options in our price point, and we'd done cool things elsewhere, that I don't feel like we missed out on any other opportunities by not doing our planning and research.

I think a lot depends on your destination. Some ports are most "decide at the last minute" friendly than others.

We have done it both ways; normally we book one tour prior to even sailing, in fact I just booked ours for the Jan 6th Pearl sailing, but I didn't book anything when we did the Mex riv several years ago; we did it twice, never booked ahead and still had a great time. My daughter and i did the same when we sailed on the Sun. I think research is still very important, but booking ahead isn't always the way to go either.

Archived