Shareholder credit

cruising teacher

I booked through a TA and got on-board credit. When I asked if I would also be able to get shareholder credit, she said yes because the original OBC was from the TA, not Celebrity. However, I did get a group rate through the TA.

I just submitted my request to shareholder benefits today. Let's hope I don't get turned down.

When I originally submitted my request for OBC, I hand-wrote on my brokerage statement all pertinent sailing data (reservation #, ship, sail date, I even included my cabin #). I scanned the statement and e-mailed it, stating in the e-mail that all pertinent sail data was on the attached statement. Two days later, I got an e-mail saying that they could not process my request because I did not include a reservation #, ship, or sail date. So, I e-mailed them back and listed all the info in the body of the e-mail; I also stated in that e-mail that the previous e-mail had indicated that all the requested info was on the statement.

I just got an e-mail today saying that my request was accepted. Yippee!! Last cruise was on RCCL with a resident discount, and I got the OBC with no problem. I did try to combine it with the bring-a-friend OBC, and they wouldn't allow it, and since the bring-a-friend was only $25, I stuck with the stockholder credit.

A couple of years ago, we had two cabins on Silhouette. I think our TA gave us $100 OBC. I asked at the time if stockholder credit was combinable, and she said no, but that I could submit anyway and see what they said. I did, and they said no, so that was fine. However, after several days on the ship, we went into the kids' cabin after the show one night, and there was a note from Celebrity saying that had added $100 to the on-board account for that room -- as a gift. When we got to our cabin, we had the same note. So, although I did not get the stockholder OBC for that cruise, I got a $200 gift from Celebrity! I'll take $200 over $100 any day!

• 1 year later...

It's clear it is not combinable with any other discount or perk. ...

Sorry you didn't understand the program before purchasing share,

Actually, it's not the poster's fault, as much as RCL who excel at making things unclear. And it's NOT clear that it is not combinable.

If looking at the instructions, the relevant section you'd look at is:

"Can this benefit be combined with other offers, onboard credits and coupons?"

The answer is: "The benefit is NOT available to company employees, travel agents, tour conductors and/or others utilizing complimentary or reduced-rate cruise fares. Benefit is not combinable when using inter-line rates or onboard chartered sailings."

So the only thing excluded are interline rates and chartered sailings (aside from those getting special complimentary style tickets). That is the answer they give on combinability!

However, to make things confusing, they then put a massive section in a subsequent point: "Are there any restrictions?" where they say it cannot be combined with the vague " certain price programs" (amongst other clearer restrictions).

So they don't actually exclude "any other discount" as you put it, and in fact you can get the benefit with some discounts. But it's truly a mystery as to what does and does not qualify since they don't actually state the restrictions themselves!

I think it is pretty simple and easy: shareholder benefit does not apply when you have ANY other promotion or discount. If you go by this rule you can only be surprised if it is applied after all... ;)

Buying RCCL-shares should be considered an investment - not a tool to get OBC. And up until today, it´s been a darn good investment! But it can also go the other way.

I wonder what some OBC-shareholders would write here if the shares went south for whatever reason... "but it did not say so in the rules for shareholder benefits..."? :eek:

Edited by Miaminice

Actually, it's not the poster's fault, as much as RCL who excel at making things unclear. And it's NOT clear that it is not combinable.

If looking at the instructions, the relevant section you'd look at is:

"Can this benefit be combined with other offers, onboard credits and coupons?"

The answer is: "The benefit is NOT available to company employees, travel agents, tour conductors and/or others utilizing complimentary or reduced-rate cruise fares. Benefit is not combinable when using inter-line rates or onboard chartered sailings."

So the only thing excluded are interline rates and chartered sailings (aside from those getting special complimentary style tickets). That is the answer they give on combinability!

However, to make things confusing, they then put a massive section in a subsequent point: "Are there any restrictions?" where they say it cannot be combined with the vague " certain price programs" (amongst other clearer restrictions).

So they don't actually exclude "any other discount" as you put it, and in fact you can get the benefit with some discounts. But it's truly a mystery as to what does and does not qualify since they don't actually state the restrictions themselves!

I disagree. It is clear enough to me that passengers are included and that the stockholder perk cannot be combined from reading the notes above.

I disagree. It is clear enough to me that passengers are included and that the stockholder perk cannot be combined from reading the notes above.

Yes, that's because I've filtered everything out to show the relevant parts.

However, the way it is answered on the site does not indicate that accurately. And it is in no way clear which price offers are included - since when is "certain" specific?

What next... the "Certain passengers go free" promotion - with no further explanation? I'd love to hear the complaints arising from that!

[sNIP]

I think it's quite clear. The relevant poster said they got OBC and a lot of other offers. The promotion clearly says It's not combinable with other OBC offers (and mind you it does not say OBC issued by Celebrity or RCL, it just says OBC offers so technically, if the reservation has any OBC attached to it regardless of who issued it, they have an out here - important with regard to TA issued OBC, as sometimes TA's issue it from a pool of points they earn from the cruise line, and don't actually pay out-of-pocket.)

OP stated they had a senior discount (which they tried in vain to give up to get the S/H credit), I'd assume this is a pricing program, but in any case if I was unclear what "pricing program" means, It's up to me to investigate and ask that question. So they gave up the senior discount, they are still ineligible due to the OBC offer clause, without even exploring the fact that Big Better best is a promotional offer/pricing program.

They used a large TA, it's possible that TA is using reduced rate TA/group space which also disallows it.

So the poster has possibly 3 separate items that disallow the Shareholder perk. Again, for anyone out there reading these pages about shareholder perks, it s valid only when nothing else is ion 95% of all situations. Count on it for TA, TP, Repo cruses, and some last minute bookings, and when sailing in an inside cabin.

8. Are there any restrictions?

Benefit is non-transferable and not available to employees, agents of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. or its subsidiaries and affiliates, travel agents and tour operators. Benefit is not combinable with other onboard credit offers, general loyalty offers, “dollars off/wave” promotions, savings certificates, onboard chartered sailings, certain group sailings, certain price programs or bookings made at a reduced rate or travel agent rate. Shareholders have the option to choose between the shareholder benefit or the other offer. The Shareholder must own the Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. stock at time of sailing. Onboard credit is calculated in US dollars except on sailings where the onboard currency used is a foreign currency (in which case the onboard credit will be converted at a currency exchange rate determined by the cruise line) and is not redeemable for cash. Certificate value credited to onboard account at time of sailing. Any unused credit shall be forfeited. Credit is applied on a per stateroom basis; double occupancy. Single guests paying 200% of applicable fare shall receive full value of certificate. Only one shareholder credit per stateroom. Only one credit per shareholder on any one sailing. If you are requesting shareholder onboard credit for two or more separate cabins and shares are held jointly, a minimum of 100 shares per cabin booked must be held. Other terms and conditions may apply.

9. Combinability?

Please note that as of December 31, 2008, the shareholder benefit offer is not combinable with other onboard credit offers, general loyalty offers, upgrade offers, chartered sailings, certain group sailings, "dollars off/wave" promotional offers, certain price programs, reservations made on a reduced rate/travel agent rate/inter-line rate and savings certificates. For bookings made prior to December 31, 2008, the Shareholder Onboard Credit is combinable under certain conditions. Please direct queries to investorrelations@rccl.comand a prompt response will be forthcoming.

Yes, that's because I've filtered everything out to show the relevant parts.

However, the way it is answered on the site does not indicate that accurately. And it is in no way clear which price offers are included - since when is "certain" specific?

What next... the "Certain passengers go free" promotion - with no further explanation? I'd love to hear the complaints arising from that!

If you check my post history I enquired about shareholder benefit as it's something I think we'll pursue in the near future. I read the whole thing then and it was perfectly clear that it doesn't apply all of the time too, so I don't understand why some people are having difficulty. I suspect they didn't read 'the small print' so to speak.

The complaints from free passengers could be very amusing. Particularly with the high levels of entitlement some board members exhibit!

I can't complain about the stock. I bought it about four years ago at 25 and now it's at 94. I've got the dividends quarterly and the obc on my one and only Celebrity Cruise. It's been denied for cruise number two.

Really can't complain. Paying attention with all the world news to see if it's time to sell.....