New Barbie Package: Has anyone done yet?

Hi. Going on Allure in April with a 5 year old girl. Thinking of surprising her with RCI's new Barbie Experience: It's pricey: over $300, but might make the trip extra special for her. Has anyone done this yet, and was it worth it? What was special?

Thanks for your help with this, :o

That was just mean. Maybe she meant pricing it or if they had done extensive research on it. However topanga49er , I do think that she would love it (from what I've read about it), and it would certainly make the trip more special. But, if you decide not to do it, don't tell her anything about it even existing or being a thought in your mind, and the trip will be JUST as special and fun :) . Which ship are you sailing on? I know it is only available on select ships when it starts in Jan. 2013.

Hi. Going on Allure in April with a 5 year old girl. Thinking of surprising her with RCI's new Barbie Experience: It's pricey: over $300, but might make the trip extra special for her. Has anyone done this yet, and was it worth it? What was special?

The package does sound adorable but if you decide against, the cruise itself might be the extra special memory you daughter will remember, especially if this is her first cruise. The Allure will have so much stimulation and all the Dream Works tie-ins that the Barbie package could be overkill.

m

I'm sure you've read the ads that say this package will be available starting in January 2013, right? How would you expect anyone to have experience with it?

Actually, several girls have tried this. Royal did a market study a while back, and there was at least one thread reviewing the program.

OP, please do a search and include the Family Boards in your search selection. You should be able to find the review with a little determination.

Here is the link to a cruiser who's daughter had the experience during the "test" of the program. I hope it helps!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1468115

Here is the link to a cruiser who's daughter had the experience during the "test" of the program. I hope it helps!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1468115

Thanks for posting this link! I was on my phone during my OP and didn't have the time to find it. This is why Cruise Critic members are so great!

We are taking a 10 year old that still loves everything Barbie and Princess in April. It will be a surprise for her. I am just glad they are extending the age. BUT I don't want to see it become consumed by adults that are Barbie crazy leaving no room for the chhildren (have seen this on Disney options where the children don't have room to attend yet 3/4 of those present are adults). I know I may get a "smack down" for this attitude but I do think the little ones should come first!

Booked a cruise for March several months ago specifically for this package for my 5yr old daughter. Was told that the package could not be ordered until final payment had been made, space would be limited and canceled if the minimum particapant requirement was not met.

We paid for the cruise early so as the daughter would not be left out due to a "sold out" situation.

We are still waiting to even order the package as of today. We call every other day and get the same response " a date to order this has not been established yet. Please call back"

Do not understand the reasoning behind telling us that the cruise had to be completely paid for before you can order this package when it can still not be ordered now. :(

If anyone has successfully ordered this please post.

I called a couple of weeks ago and they didn't have much information at C&A. I would like to order this for my 4 year old on our 1/27 sailing on Allure. I keep looking to see if they add it to the options that can be purchased online prior to the cruise but so far, nothing… I plan on calling again after the Holidays.

I called a couple of weeks ago and they didn't have much information at C&A. I would like to order this for my 4 year old on our 1/27 sailing on Allure. I keep looking to see if they add it to the options that can be purchased online prior to the cruise but so far, nothing… I plan on calling again after the Holidays.

Let us know how it turns out CTCruiser.:)

Booked a cruise for March several months ago specifically for this package for my 5yr old daughter. Was told that the package could not be ordered until final payment had been made, space would be limited and canceled if the minimum particapant requirement was not met.

We paid for the cruise early so as the daughter would not be left out due to a "sold out" situation.

We are still waiting to even order the package as of today. We call every other day and get the same response " a date to order this has not been established yet. Please call back"

Do not understand the reasoning behind telling us that the cruise had to be completely paid for before you can order this package when it can still not be ordered now. :(

If anyone has successfully ordered this please post.

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that they will put it online when it's available for booking. At least, if it's like beverage, dining, and excursions. Unfortunately, Royal isn't always prompt making things available for online booking. Sometimes you can book early (MONTHS before final payment due date), and other times they cut it close. Keep calling to be on the safe side.

We are taking a 10 year old that still loves everything Barbie and Princess in April. It will be a surprise for her. I am just glad they are extending the age. BUT I don't want to see it become consumed by adults that are Barbie crazy leaving no room for the chhildren (have seen this on Disney options where the children don't have room to attend yet 3/4 of those present are adults). I know I may get a "smack down" for this attitude but I do think the little ones should come first!

I so agree. But I am a avid Barbie collector I only want a set sail Barbie the children can have all the glory. I would just like to have the doll buy it a go away quietly. Hopefully they have extras for sale in the gift shop.

I got a little impatient and called a D+ rep yesterday to see if there were any more details on the program. I took notes and I'm hoping I got it all correct. Of course, they haven't published it yet so I'm sure these details are subject to change.

There will be some complimentary Barbie things included in the general Adventure Ocean Program including Barbie Movies (sounded like they would be in AO as well running on in-stateroom TV), Barbie story times, and other Barbie-themed activites.

The $349 program will begin in January 2013. Exact ships and sail dates have not been announced but the rep said it will be most likely be fleet-wide right away during the first January sailings. Most of the details are exactly what's posted on the website so I'll just post what's not there.

The maximum number of participants on Oasis and Allure will be 50. On all other ships it will be 30. There must be a minimum of 5 per sailing participating in order to hold the fashion show. If the fashion show can't be held because there aren't 5 kids participating, 30% of the package price will be refunded.

It is expected that shortly after the new year the package will be available for purchase online via the Pre-Cruise planner. It will also be available the first 2 nights of the sailing. A cancellation fee of 50% will apply for canceling with less than 72 hours notice.

Lastly, parents are encouraged to pack a few pink, girly items such as boas, sunglasses etc. that might coordinate with what's used for the fashion show.

Again, (my disclaimer) I'm sure these things could change or I might have missed something but at least there's a few more details we can chew on.

For that price RCI should include things like feather boas and sunglasses for the fashion show.:eek:

$350 is a lot of money. Add that to your third person cabin rate and the cute little one is paying close to full price.

However I do great things for our little guy, who is 5. We do refuse to take him to Disney for a few more years until he remembers things better. We have seen way to many parents dragging kids and looking like they are about to strangle one another as well. Not sure how that is enjoyable, especially after dropping the money to be there.

Andrew

• 3 weeks later...

I called the D+ desk again today as there is still no way to pre-book online. The rep didn't have any new information so they transferred me to the excursions people. The woman I spoke with didn't sound very confident but she said it is available and can be purchased once on board at guest services.

If this is the case, it's disappointing. The whole point, IMHO, is for the child to walk into the room and be wowed. Not the same to have to wait for bedding to be delivered...