No port tax refund in missed Nassau port and here's why

Trekker954

A lovely woman just called me to respond to a question I asked if port charges were to be refunded for missing Nassau while on Reflection December 6th. The following day we tendered in Coco Cay.

According to this representative, Celebrity really did not know there was a problem until the day of sailinng. She said, exactly what they had said onboard. She also explained that the Bahamas charges a flat fee for their port charges, therefore, since they also went to cococay, there was no refunds of port charges. Its a flat fee one port, two ports, doesn't matter. Had they missed all Bahama ports, then we'd get a refund. She went on to say the CEO was onboard (which I knew), blah, blah, blah. I was appreciative that someone actually picked up the phone to explain.

Was Celebrity rolling over for the Bahamas? I mean, I thought they (RCI) owned coco cay and for pete's sake, we tender, not dock. They lost tons of money, as did the private excursions so why wouldn't they themselves not have to pay those docking fees.

Personally, I'm not upset and don't really care whether or not I get $26 or whatever it was back. I just don't think any ship should be bullied around.

A lovely woman just called me to respond to a question I asked if port charges were to be refunded for missing Nassau while on Reflection December 6th. The following day we tendered in Coco Cay.

According to this representative, Celebrity really did not know there was a problem until the day of sailinng. She said, exactly what they had said onboard. She also explained that the Bahamas charges a flat fee for their port charges, therefore, since they also went to cococay, there was no refunds of port charges. Its a flat fee one port, two ports, doesn't matter. Had they missed all Bahama ports, then we'd get a refund. She went on to say the CEO was onboard (which I knew), blah, blah, blah. I was appreciative that someone actually picked up the phone to explain.

Was Celebrity rolling over for the Bahamas? I mean, I thought they (RCI) owned coco cay and for pete's sake, we tender, not dock. They lost tons of money, as did the private excursions so why wouldn't they themselves not have to pay those docking fees.

Personally, I'm not upset and don't really care whether or not I get $26 or whatever it was back. I just don't think any ship should be bullied around.

That is true actually for all pleasure craft visiting the Bahamas. I'm surprised it also covers cruise ships and I assume all large commercial ships

We once missed a port stop on a Celebrity cruise. In fact, they cancelled the port before we even left on the cruise. They just added a another sea day. We were never given a proper explanation or any refund of any part of our already paid cruise. I just assumed it was part of life and went with it. A few people on the trip were upset however.

We once missed a port stop on a Celebrity cruise. In fact, they cancelled the port before we even left on the cruise. They just added a another sea day. We were never given a proper explanation or any refund of any part of our already paid cruise. I just assumed it was part of life and went with it. A few people on the trip were upset however.

Sometimes it is better not o know the reasons why.:D

We were on that cruise. No refund. No big deal.

As to the REAL reason our port call was moved from morning until 6pm - who knows for sure? Again, no big deal. The final decision to not go in was weather, which is all well and fine with me.

That open bar surely cost them a pretty penny. People were crazy.

We were on that cruise. No refund. No big deal.

As to the REAL reason our port call was moved from morning until 6pm - who knows for sure? Again, no big deal. The final decision to not go in was weather, which is all well and fine with me.

That open bar surely cost them a pretty penny. People were crazy.

Open bar sounds good to me.:D

Not trying to change the subject of this thread, so much. However, I can imagine the crowds of people that would make a run on an open bar during a cruise. Which is purely expected. :D

This is why I make sure to make my bartender friends early ($$$) and I never wait for a drink, crowded or not. I am not making a suggestion I am better, it is just the way things work. :rolleyes:

I can certainly understand any change to a planed itinerary for a vacation can always cause anguish. I really hope that the OP enjoyed their cruise/vacation otherwise. I am quite certain there were many people who were not satisfied with 1 and 1/2 hours of free drinks. Even if Celebrity went beyond their obligation, so many people do not even drink alcohol, so it meant nothing to them.

Neither here nor there, I am sure I personally would have had a great time.

I guess I have been fortunate. Each and every time I have contacted Celebrity's Resolution Department, we have always come to some type of agreement to keep me happy. I am sorry they were not able to do the same for the OP in this situation.

We were on the Reflection TA that docked in Miami the morning of Dec 1. When we boarded our ship in Barcelona we were advised that we would have to by-pass tenerife because there was some kind of computer glitch that kept the engine from going up to the 20 knots needed for full power. They had also skipped a port on the previous cruise. (the 2nd Reflection cruise). We were very disappointed because out of the 13 nights, there were only 3 ports and now there would be only 2!!!!!

We received compensation for the missed port and after griping--a refund of port charges.

We were also told it was imperative we reach Miami on time because the next cruise had to positively leave on time because there was a big Caribbean Inaugural party and the "mucky-mucks" were going to be on board.

Headquarters were well aware of the problems encountered and the fact that they couldn't fix the ship in Miami because of having to leave on time so for them to say they weren't aware of any problems was ridiculous.

not sure X rep was telling the truth

Perhaps if Tenerife were governed by the Bahamian government, the rep might be fudging the truth a bit.

However, I have to assume that =X= was reimbursed by Tenerife (but have no way of knowing). But =X=, albeit reluctantly (per Leesie351).

Apparently the Bahamian's standpoint is.

Its a flat fee one port, two ports, doesn't matter. Had they missed all Bahama ports, then we'd get a refund.
Reflection made one of the two Bahamian ports, therefore, no refund.

I am not sure I agree with that policy, but I am not the Bahamian government.

The OP thought that RCI actually owns Coco Cay. I do not believe that is the case. I believe that RCI actually leases Coco Cay (Little Stirrup Cay) from the Bahamian government.

• 2 weeks later...
I am sorry they were not able to do the same for the OP in this situation.

If you read my last paragraph, I said I wasn't upset and didn't care about the money or refund. I only inquired Celebrity because others have said they've gotten refunds when they skip a port. I posted because I was so impressed that someone picked up the phone and called me to respond. How many times do you or someone you read about here, write to the cruise company and never hear back from them. I just thought the information provided to me, would answer the same question others have.

I'm always learning something new from this board and sometimes, I may have some thing to share.

And yes, I do believe a post above said RCI leases coco cay, which I think is more accurate.

Archived