Boxed Lunches and Gluten-Free

fireflymd

To those of you who need to eat Gluten-Free:

How did you handle excursions that provide a "boxed lunch"?

For our Whales, Bears & Glaciers tour, I was able to contact the tour operator and they will provide a sandwich sans bread, so that we can bring our own GF bread.

But how did you handle a tour such as the Tundra Wilderness Tour in Denali National Park? The tour will leave between 8 am and 9 am and run until approximately 6 pm. Is there a way to put a lunch together before getting on this tour bus? I see that room service is 24 hours--is this how you managed it?

When we went on the TWT we took our own lunch- we traveled with a small soft-side cooler- great for the long plane ride. We went across the street to the subway and got sandwiches- they packaged the tomato, etc. separately. There are several shops and restaurants across from the lodge, as well as restaurants in the hotel, so you should be able to get something that will meet your needs. We had no real diet concerns, but had read here that the boxed lunch was not really good. When the first person opened the package of reindeer sausage it smelled like the whole bus had farted!!! We had reindeer several times in our 15 day adventure, and it was good, but the kind they give you on the bus is similar to salami, and not the good kind. They provide bottled water, the meat, a bun, cheese, and a cookie. We took sandwiches, a bottle of diet coke, some ice, and the plastic cups from the bathroom. Have fun. We loved our trip. We did the Exotic Explorer through Princess. Denali was great, but the Brooks Range and the Arctic Ocean were highlights for us.

When we went on the TWT we took our own lunch- we traveled with a small soft-side cooler- great for the long plane ride. We went across the street to the subway and got sandwiches- they packaged the tomato, etc. separately. There are several shops and restaurants across from the lodge, as well as restaurants in the hotel, so you should be able to get something that will meet your needs. We had no real diet concerns, but had read here that the boxed lunch was not really good. When the first person opened the package of reindeer sausage it smelled like the whole bus had farted!!! We had reindeer several times in our 15 day adventure, and it was good, but the kind they give you on the bus is similar to salami, and not the good kind. They provide bottled water, the meat, a bun, cheese, and a cookie. We took sandwiches, a bottle of diet coke, some ice, and the plastic cups from the bathroom. Have fun. We loved our trip. We did the Exotic Explorer through Princess. Denali was great, but the Brooks Range and the Arctic Ocean were highlights for us.

When you say you went across the street--where were you? Do you mean at the start of the tour or from your hotel?

Did you buy these sandwiches the night before? I can't imagine the Subway would be open at 7:00 am.

We will be staying at the Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge. Does anyone know if we will be able to order sandwiches either the night before, or the morning of our excursion?

When you say you went across the street--where were you? Do you mean at the start of the tour or from your hotel?

Did you buy these sandwiches the night before? I can't imagine the Subway would be open at 7:00 am.

We will be staying at the Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge. Does anyone know if we will be able to order sandwiches either the night before, or the morning of our excursion?

There’s a strip of restaurants/gift shops along an area across the street from the Princess Lodge & McKinley Chalet. Sometimes referred to as Glitter Gulch. The Subway had been open 24 hours/day during the summer the last time we were up. We grabbed a breakfast sandwich there around 5:30am one morning before driving up to mile 15.

There’s a strip of restaurants/gift shops along an area across the street from the Princess Lodge & McKinley Chalet. Sometimes referred to as Glitter Gulch. The Subway had been open 24 hours/day during the summer the last time we were up. We grabbed a breakfast sandwich there around 5:30am one morning before driving up to mile 15.

Thanks so much! You really put my mind at ease. I'm sure I can get them to "make a sandwich" without the bread, and then put it together on our own GF bread.

I've included in my list of things to pack Ziploc bags for our sandwiches, and a small soft-sided cooler, and an ice pack (although DH reminds me that years ago we took brown bags of lunch to school).

When you hear "Denali Wilderness Lodge", it sounds like we are in the wilderness somewhere, far from a strip mall.

When you hear "Denali Wilderness Lodge", it sounds like we are in the wilderness somewhere, far from a strip mall.

fireflymd: alaskawdw12 has recently posted some good photos of what we commonly refer to as "Glitter Gulch" in a review of an independent land tour and then cruise on RC. Without looking at them again, the photos seem to be taken closer to the McKinley Chalets complex than the Princess complex. They may be interesting to you.

fireflymd: alaskawdw12 has recently posted some good photos of what we commonly refer to as "Glitter Gulch" in a review of an independent land tour and then cruise on RC. Without looking at them again, the photos seem to be taken closer to the McKinley Chalets complex than the Princess complex. They may be interesting to you.

Thank! I haven't read that thread yet--I'll take a look.

The rear view from the lodge is the river and wilderness. The lodge is on a highway, but it is easy to cross it to get to the shops and restaurants. We had a really good fried halibut dinner at seafood restaurant. We were there in late August and the clothing and other stores were having fantastic end of season sales.

The rear view from the lodge is the river and wilderness. The lodge is on a highway, but it is easy to cross it to get to the shops and restaurants. We had a really good fried halibut dinner at seafood restaurant. We were there in late August and the clothing and other stores were having fantastic end of season sales.

Thanks again! I really enjoyed seeing alaskadw12's pictures--it was very helpful to see that yes, indeed, there is a small strip mall across the highway from the entrance to the lodge.

Archived