All inclusive versus cruising on Carnival

mommyto3nj

We've done both and love both. Now it just depends on what kind of vacation we're in the mood for. Cruising is a more active vacation, IMO. There's something new to see and do at every port. AI's are great for relaxing and not being on a schedule. We mix it up.:D

Like you, I do both. When I was working, I generally went for 3 weeks cruising and 3 weeks at different AI's or resorts. Sometimes I used a cruise to scout out an unfamiliar island and to decide if I wanted to go back for a land stay.

Now that I've retired, I'm looking at more extended cruises, like a 21 day B2B, or on land, renting a condo in Panama for the winter months.

Way to get a three year old thread going again. lol

But I'll answer anyway, since it's still a valid question and a good topic. I like ALL vacations. I don't limit myself to just cruises, or just AIs, or just tropical for that matter. I like traveling to Europe, to the south pacific, to Hawaii, to Asia, pretty much any travel is good travel. I like cruises because I love to be on the open sea, period. I love that I get to experience new places, places I may travel to in the future outside of a cruise. I love AIs too, for different reasons.

But I would never limit myself. It's a huge world and I have so many more places yet to travel to.

DH and I have been on a few cruises and one AI. It was an adult-only AI in Riviera Maya called the Valentin Imperial Maya.

We enjoyed having a large room with large shower and large tub. We enjoyed the large pools and stepping out onto the beach from our room. On a cruise, we rarely even get into the pool because it's human-soup.

We enjoyed the great food and good service. It was more relaxing than a cruise, as there was never anywhere we had to be or lines to stand in. Never waited for drinks.

We missed having music around. We missed decent entertainment or anything after 8 p.m. We missed the excitement of seeing new ports everyday. We did one excursion from the AI, and that was lovely.

We loved both types of vacations. We've done 7- and 8-day cruises, and even after an 8-day, I wanted to stay on the ship. At the AI, we did 6 nights and felt that was a perfect amount of time.

With an AI, just like a cruise, you're going to find ones that cater to certain demographics. Some cater to partiers. Some cater to folks wanting to relax. For the price, I tend to think cruises are a better all-around value, though it may be in part because we don't have more than a couple of drinks a day.

I did price Sandals. Since I paid for 5 rooms and 10 people...I could have taken all of them on 3 Canival cruises for the price of a Sandals vacation. I do know that in general you get what you pay for. I'm just saying that the cost of what I pay for Carnival cruises (Us in an OS and the others in balconies near us) is less than what I would pay at a Sandals Resort.

For us, cruising offers our group great activities and music on board, as well as decent meals. I can book great excursions on either trips.

I just gave my opinion because I had trouble finding a comparison of cruising to AIs. Feel free to continue to book any vacation you desire! :)

In order to make a proper price comparison, you need to somewhat compare apples to apples quality wise as well as value wise. When it comes to value, Carnival is a cruise leader, whereas Sandals is not and is overpriced. There are many AI's in Mexico and the Dominican Republic that offer much more bang for the buck than what you get at Sandals. AI's have a much more diverse range quality wise than what you find with cruises. There are buffet only, domestic level liquor only 3 star resorts that are worse in my opinion than the oldest, smallest ships that are afloat.

On the other hand, if you do your research, you can find value whether you decide to cruise or go the AI route. One of the main draws to the AI's is the included alcohol, so if you're comparing a 4.5 star + resort, make sure that the cruise you're crunching numbers against has a promotion with an included alcohol package or add in the extra monies per day to purchase one.

With so many different variables involved quality wise, it's very difficult to compare apples to apples, but it can be done. Also, on a cruise forum many more people are going to be leaning towards choosing cruising as their vacation of choice. The exact opposite would be true if this discussion was happening over on Tripadvisor in one of the Mexico travel forums. The only time cruising is usually mentioned there is when those in Cozumel try to avoid the throngs of day trippers or when cruisers are seeking out day pass information for AI resorts that happen to offer it.

For the price, I tend to think cruises are a better all-around value, though it may be in part because we don't have more than a couple of drinks a day.
Ding, ding, ding, ding. Don't know when you stayed at the VIM, but you probably paid about 300 a night for the two of you and after factoring in international airfare it was probably close to 3000 for the two of you for a week. Could have been cheaper if you went during the low season of Sept/Oct. Compared to the cheapest balcony with the drinks package on the Breeze, and you're probably in the same price range after factoring in port charges and tips. But of course, when you travel, what type of cabin you pick and where you're flying from all factor into the price comparison and which method of vacationing will come out as having more value FOR YOU.

When you do the comparison, a cruise will always be a better value if you're not a big drinker because the unlimited alcohol is one of if not the main draw of vacationing at an AI.

I have been cruising since 1968. Personally, I am sick of cruising and prefer and all inclusive, but DH hates to fly. Since we can be in Galveston in an hour he prefers to cruise. He has capitulated and we do an All Inclusive at least once a year. The AI is definitely more expensive than the cruise. Here is an example - 5 nights on the Freedom in a suite $1569 (including gratuities) + 400 for excursions + 200 for drinks + 118 for insurance = 2287. Last All inclusive vacation at the El Dorado Maroma for 5 nights in a suite with a private plunge pool on the balcony cost me $5200.00. Cruising is the better bargain, but since all I want to do is sit on the beach and get waited on, I want the all inclusive, regardless of cost.