Noumea hop on hop off bus

Ive been to Noumea a couple of times and have done a ship organised shore tour and a privately organised shore tour. Both were great, the only difference was the ship one was almost double the cost for exactly the same tour privately. We've decided to stay cityside this time around rather than doing an offshore tour.

I have found this hop on hop off bus that stops at all of the main attractions in Noumea and includes entry fees for 3200 francs which converts roughly to $34 AUD. Has anyone had any experience with this one?

http://www.arcenciel.nc/en/excursion/pass-nature-culture-noumea-explorer-0

Janine :)

Hi Janine...we went to Noumea earlier this year and I think we went on the type of hop on hop off that you linked to. We did not get off the bus but just rode the whole route. I do remember other cruisers said they went on it as well but there was some issue regarding stopping at the cultural center...something about after a certain time it did not stop there so maybe just check with the driver before you get on if the cultural center is what you want to see. Hope this helps.

Barbara

I'm not sure if it's that one, but I took one of those. Worked fine, got on and off a couple of times including cultural centre no issue. I do recall there was some note in the timetable that not all buses ran to that stop or differing routes, but the wait wasn't too bad. They actually ran extra buses for us due to the number of cruise passengers in town.

I'm not sure if it's that one, but I took one of those. Worked fine, got on and off a couple of times including cultural centre no issue. I do recall there was some note in the timetable that not all buses ran to that stop or differing routes, but the wait wasn't too bad. They actually ran extra buses for us due to the number of cruise passengers in town.

It's great that they ran extra buses. We noticed on a visit to Noumea this year that they now have a full size bus rather than the 20-seat one they used to have.

A few years ago we planned to go on the Noumea Explorer and waited with a dozen or more others. When the 20-seat bus pulled it was full and only two or four people disembarked. The spots were quickly taken by people who pushed to the front of the waiting group. We were concerned that if we disembarked at a couple of stops, we might have trouble getting on another bus, particularly when they were running only one bus per hour.

I am ambivalent about these "hop-on hop-off" buses. We have done a few - and I am inclined to think that they are better for people staying in a city for a few days than for ship passengers with only one short day which has a DEFINITE sailing time.

We have done the one in Noumea -- we rode it around completely once just to have a passing look at Noumea, then used it to get us to the Cultural Centre only (where we stayed 3 hours). There are a number of places that would warrant a stop - but, with the once-per-hour schedule, you can't really stop at many of them for any length of time. I sometimes also think that the common plan to 'go around once first' is not a good idea as this takes around 2.5 hours and hence takes a large hunk out of your time there. Possibly it would be better to pick out say 4 stops that appeal to you most - and stay at each only long enough timewise that you can get the next one. There is no guarantee however that you can reboard the bus (in some ports). It is not a good idea to do it in Barcelona - especially when there are SIX ships in port!! :eek:

Barry

We found the Museum of New Caledonia more interesting. It had great displays on the Kanak culture and I suppose that is what we thought might be in the Tjibaou Cultural Centre. Until we went there we didn't realise it was really a small art gallery, although the exterior is stunning.

Until we went there we didn't realise it was really a small art gallery, although the exterior is stunning.

There's more to it than that. Films, displays, grounds and different plants (plus the shop!). Many people were doing research in their research centre while we were there.

Thanks for the info!

We did a bit more research and found Gateaway Tours, who seem to be very highly regarded by many CC's. We are now booked on a private tour, there is 10 in our group. I emailed them asking what they could do, and said where we'd like to go and what we want to see and they have planned an itinerary and now for $50pp we have a personalised day tour with guide and mini bus who is taking us to the aquarium, cultural centre, cathedral, lookouts, patisserie, beach, markets, everything around Noumea that we wanted to do and see. Sounds much better than the hoho bus.

I'll let you know how we get on.

Thanks for the info!

We did a bit more research and found Gateaway Tours, who seem to be very highly regarded by many CC's. We are now booked on a private tour, there is 10 in our group. I emailed them asking what they could do, and said where we'd like to go and what we want to see and they have planned an itinerary and now for $50pp we have a personalised day tour with guide and mini bus who is taking us to the aquarium, cultural centre, cathedral, lookouts, patisserie, beach, markets, everything around Noumea that we wanted to do and see. Sounds much better than the hoho bus.

Well done Janine! That does sound better. Can't wait to hear your review! Have fun!

Barbara

Thanks for the info!

That sounds great. :D

You will need Pacific Francs for entry to the aquarium and cultural centre. We have found that the best markets are in the cruise terminal on the wharf. The main markets are nearly all fruit/veges/fish etc. There used to be stalls with merchandise that would interest tourists, but they now re-locate to the cruise terminal when a ship is in port.

Archived