Need Advice for Resort Day Pass in Roatan

psbfan01

Hoping someone can offer some advice, fairly quickly! My BF decided he doesn't want to do ziplining ... and we decided instead on spending the day at a nice resort with a pool, beach and other activities (kayak, etc.)

So - which resort would you recommend? What do you think is the best value? I know there are several.

Anyone know which resort Island Marketing uses for their excursions? Theirs is $38. Just wondering if there's any better options.

We will be docking at Mahogany Bay on 1/10/13 from 8am - 3pm, FWIW.

TIA

Hoping someone can offer some advice, fairly quickly! My BF decided he doesn't want to do ziplining ... and we decided instead on spending the day at a nice resort with a pool, beach and other activities (kayak, etc.)

So - which resort would you recommend? What do you think is the best value? I know there are several.

Anyone know which resort Island Marketing uses for their excursions? Theirs is $38. Just wondering if there's any better options.

We will be docking at Mahogany Bay on 1/10/13 from 8am - 3pm, FWIW.

TIA

We used IM last May and the lady that drove us around was super nice and informative, this May we are going with them again. The price I see is $32 p/p and they use Banarama for their resort~ On our excursion it was only my daughter and I and one other couple, it was nice not be on an overcrowded tour.

I'm not sure who Island Marketing uses. But just the $38 would come close to how much a round-trip taxi to West Bay or West End could cost. We go to the West Bay area, usually end up at Mayan Princess, where you can get $10 passes to be able to use their bathrooms, tables and beach chairs, and pay for food/drinks a la carte. Banarama is also pretty popular, their beach chairs are $5 for the day, snorkel gear is $12 to rent, kayaks are $10 an hour.

I just looked at Island Marketing's website on Roatan beach excursions. The $38 package looks like they take you to an island (and includes 2 hour use of a kayak, beach loungers, transportation and one drink), whereas they have a $32 that takes you to West Bay (and includes a beach lounger). There are no bad beachfront resorts in West Bay, so I'm sure you'd have a good time! Honestly the IM packages sound like a pretty good deal. And with such an early departure (3pm, that sucks!) it'd be nice to leave the transporation arrangements to IM to handle, instead of trying to get a taxi on your own.

Good luck, Roatan is gorgeous!

We have been to Roatan many times over the last 40 (!) years. I went for the first time at age 5 when the puddle-jumpers landed right on the beach. Next week will be our first time stopping in from a cruiseship, after renting houses there and/or staying at Fantasy Island and Fosters on past trips. We have done day passes at Henry Morgan, Mayan Princess and eaten at the Fosters oceanfront bar when we stayed on the island.

Because we are coming in for the day, I think we will just do a day trip to West Bay, probably Fosters. If we can't get a group from the ship for their day pass with included transportation ($40pp, minimum of 4) then we will just cab over. I have a cabana reserved on Mahogany Bay, but the beach is man-made and the snorkeling will be non-existent, view-wise, so I will cancel it once I decide what to do.

As above the excursion to West Bay through Island Marketing is $32, goes to Banarama and includes:

Roatan Beach Break Rates:

$32 US for adults & includes:

Adults

list_wr_deep1.gifApproximately 6 hours Beach Break.

list_wr_deep1.gifRound Trip Transfer from the Cruise Ship Dock

list_wr_deep1.gifBeach Chair for each Adult reserved

list_wr_deep1.gif1 Cocktail or Local Beer for each Adult reserved

list_wr_deep1.gifAccess to fresh water showers and restrooms

I don't see where it includes the 2 hours of Kayak use though~ Where did you see that?

http://www.roatancruiseexcursions.com/RoatanWestBayBeachBreak.html

As far as I know the only two West Bay resorts who offer day passes and POOLS are Infinity Bay and Mayan Princess. One need check with both resorts, I have heard whispers Mayan was restricting day pass people from using the pool.

Paradise Beach Club has a pool but I don't think they offer day passes.

There are several other places about the island with pools, Parrot Tree, Maya Key and Club Natale come to mind.

Ll1013 ~ Foster's offers a cruise package which includes transport.

I may be incorrect but is seems to me if you book/pay directly instead of through a third party would the prices not be better? I mean why pay Island Marketing if you can book directly with the tour company?

Fosters only offers the r/t package if there are 4 or more guests reserved. Well it might seem like it's cheaper to go on your own, I think it ends up being pretty close after paying a taxi/tip/day pass and/or lounger fee's etc it's close to what I would pay for the two of us to use IM. I guess for us we just like knowing our day is organized, the exit gate at the port in Roatan is nuts and with all the chaos I saw there last year I definitely prefer having my guide there with my name on a sign and getting on my way. I also liked that our guide stayed with our stuff and didn't just take off and come back later in the day. Either way I hope everyone has a great day in Roatan :)

The $38 tour through Island Marketing goes to the Fantasy Island Beach Resort - which is NOT on the West End. I'm looking into this as well. The $32 tour goes to Banarama on the West End.

Just to clarify for you...Banarama is on West Bay Beach. And you can book directly with Bananarama. No need to go to IM for a basic beach day.

West End is the name of the little village, maybe a 20 min walk or five min. drive or water taxi, from the beach.

But cab fare cost quite a bit....I went with two fella passengers and I think we paid $27 each there! The way back was cheaper and we felt ripped off, but its one of my favorite destinations....infinity, Myanmar and Banana are all on the same beach, but banana didn't have chairs to rent , if I recall....the drinkers go to banana....

But cab fare cost quite a bit....I went with two fella passengers and I think we paid $27 each there! The way back was cheaper and we felt ripped off, but its one of my favorite destinations....infinity, Myanmar and Banana are all on the same beach, but banana didn't have chairs to rent , if I recall....the drinkers go to banana....

You definitely over paid for transportation!!! :eek:

OMG - 27.00 per person !!!!! You got ripped off !!!!!

My first trip there we paid $15.00 per person (3 of us) and our taxi driver took us all over. He stayed the whole day with us. First to West End Village where we did a dive with West End divers. Then to lunch at Lighthouse Restaurant (his suggestion) and a bit of shopping in the village. Then he drove us to West Bay beach where he waited for us to do a bit of beach time (@ 2 hrs) then he took us back to Coxen Hole with a few photo stops on the way.

We have since been back twice - each time for a one week stay at Infinity Bay. In fact we just got back Saturday night from our Christmas stay.

We love this island, but there are those who will definitely take advantage of cruisers if they are not informed, especially taxi rates !!!!

So do your homework guys.......

And yes Infinity Bay offers day passes. They will only sell so many per day and sometimes when the resort is full of condo renters/owners (as it was this past week) they will not sell any. Their first job is to keep the people staying there happy. But if you can enjoy this resort - it is top notch place.

I looked into Island Marketing, and their tours say 6 hours, which concerns me a bit. We are on the Celebrity Constellation, and we are scheduled from 10 am to 6 pm, so it seems that 6 hours would really be pushing it seeing as you never get off at the arrival time, and need to be back on by 5:30, which in my mind is cutting things too close.

Are the taxis that you can hire for the day reliable? We are not really beach people, but would like someone to take us to sights around the island, stop for lunch, stuff like that. Is there a way to arrange that? Any idea of costs?

Are the taxis that you can hire for the day reliable? We are not really beach people, but would like someone to take us to sights around the island, stop for lunch, stuff like that. Is there a way to arrange that? Any idea of costs?

Book with Victor Bodden. Go to his web site and pick out the places you'd like to see and then email and set up a private driver with those stops. You can ask and do practically anything you'd like for the day. His company is rec'd here all the time.

Yep our second visit ( one week in July) we did a tour with one of Victors guides (Big Al) and paid $40.00 per person for the whole day. Just him and the two of us. We controlled where, how long etc etc....... he was a great guide too.

I looked into Island Marketing, and their tours say 6 hours, which concerns me a bit. We are on the Celebrity Constellation, and we are scheduled from 10 am to 6 pm, so it seems that 6 hours would really be pushing it seeing as you never get off at the arrival time, and need to be back on by 5:30, which in my mind is cutting things too close.

When we used them the driver stayed with us and had us back in plenty of time :)

Just to clarify for you...Banarama is on West Bay Beach. And you can book directly with Bananarama. No need to go to IM for a basic beach day.

I'm looking into this excursion for a group of 8. It seems that going directly through Bananarama the cost is $35, when booking through IM it's $32. 3 x 8 =$24. The only thing I see is that IM doesn't mention which resort they go to.

I'm looking into this excursion for a group of 8. It seems that going directly through Bananarama the cost is $35, when booking through IM it's $32. 3 x 8 =$24. The only thing I see is that IM doesn't mention which resort they go to.

This was a few replies earlier~

The $38 tour through Island Marketing goes to the Fantasy Island Beach Resort - which is NOT on the West End. I'm looking into this as well. The $32 tour goes to Banarama on the West End.

This was a few replies earlier~

I'm a little confused, we want to go to Bananarama. So we're $24 ahead of the game by booking through Island Marketing. What am I missing?

If you're referring to which resort they're going to. I wasn't referring to what posters here are saying, I see that, I was referring to what Island Marketing actually says on their website. They do not mention any specific resort in their description, or if they do I missed it. So basically they could change at any time. I don't see anything there that would guarantee getting to Bananarama if you book through IM. But I'm sure even if they don't it will still be fine.

I don't know about you, but when I book a tour I want to know where I am going. While Roatan is beautiful there are some "lesser" quality resorts that I would not want to spend the day at ... especially when West Bay beach is so incredibly beautiful and the water and snorkeling so perfect ! jmo

I don't know about you, but when I book a tour I want to know where I am going. While Roatan is beautiful there are some "lesser" quality resorts that I would not want to spend the day at ... especially when West Bay beach is so incredibly beautiful and the water and snorkeling so perfect ! jmo

I guess I'm not being clear enough in my posts. The excursion is DEFINITELY West Bay Beach, see here;

http://roatancruiseexcursions.com/RoatanWestBayBeachBreak.html

they just don't say which resort it is. For what it's worth the pictures are of Bananarama, and others have said that's where they go, but IM doesn't say that in their advertisement. Having said all that I'm sure that's where they'll go, and our group will save $24 over the cost of booking it directly with the resort, which was the point of my original post, which was a reply to the post about why not just book it with the resort and cut out the middleman.

can I ask you, i will be there with my wife on jan 30. one day cruise stop, 8 to 5 so that means got to be back by 4pm.

we love catamaran and the small island around but the hours doesnt fit with our hours... so we have to go snorkling one a nice beach not too crowded beach. i was just reading this thread and you seem to say that it doesnt worht to pay for a day pass? what would be your suggestion?

thank you in advance

francois

I'm a little confused, we want to go to Bananarama. So we're $24 ahead of the game by booking through Island Marketing. What am I missing?

If you're referring to which resort they're going to. I wasn't referring to what posters here are saying, I see that, I was referring to what Island Marketing actually says on their website. They do not mention any specific resort in their description, or if they do I missed it. So basically they could change at any time. I don't see anything there that would guarantee getting to Bananarama if you book through IM. But I'm sure even if they don't it will still be fine.

Hope this reply clears up your confusion~

Yes there would be a $3 difference p/p. Booking through Banarama directly requires full payment when reserving, going through IM requires a 25% deposit. As far as what IM says on their website, they don't so I emailed them and this was their response for the $32 excursion

>>This is an availability reply only. We show current availability on our West Bay Beach Break. We take our guests to Bananarama resort in West Bay. <<

Archived