Delayed disembarkation- how not to treat your guests

beechwood

My understanding was that O is a premium line and as such it's passengers have paid a premium to cruise on it.

How is it you do not care if you are treated like steerage by the line?

They have made a decision based on cost to inconvenience boarding passengers because they booked late flights for those disembarking and don't want to deal with it.

Yes they can do whatever they want but is that what a quality line does and should passengers expect this from it?

How is it they will not accept the luggage, taking it only expedites the late boarding?

Yes, I agree that Oceania is premium cruise line.

Regarding taking the luggage, I don't remembe an area at the Papeete port to store luggage for a large amount of people. Which means they would have to bring it onboard..but since they aren't officially checking

in people that creates another issue of security.That is just a theory as I'm not the chief of security.

We don't think changing the boarding time is treating you like steerage.

In fact they are accomadating those that are already onboard.

AND

They will accomadate those arriving that have booked services through

Oceania..such as hotels and transfers. Those people paid for the convenience of logistics and hand holding and since the boarding time changed they are really getting their moneys worth!

If you decide to book independent arrangements, you face the potential issue that when there are changes you must change your independent arrangements. Yes, that stinks..but life is about choices. You had the choice to pay for Oceania's service and all the benefits that go with it.

It's no different if you were to miss your airline that you booked as a fared ticket or as FF miles, the ferry from Moorea, or going out on an independent private tour when in port. At that time you are responsible for coming up with a Plan B-Z to get yourself to the ship WHEN the cruise line says they are boarding you.

Just because an independant passenger has expectations doesn't mean that those will be met as the same as if they booked services through the cruise line....One can hope, one can be thrilled that they are

but at the sametime an independent traveler needs to take responsibility that their independent plans need to adapt to changes.

Maybe I just view this different because I've been on 192 cruises and do immersive DIY land travel. I adapt, I adjust, I shrug my shoulders like I'm in Italy and say it could be worse... I could have actually showed up at 3pm because they didn't have the courtesy to tell me in advance

or Maybe its because I have a Type A personality and I read the fine print on what Oceania is responsible for and what as a traveler I'm responsible for...

but honestly I don't understand the problem.

Yes, I agree that Oceania is premium cruise line.

Regarding taking the luggage, I don't remembe an area at the Papeete port to store luggage for a large amount of people. Which means they would have to bring it onboard..but since they aren't officially checking

in people that creates another issue of security.That is just a theory as I'm not the chief of security.

We don't think changing the boarding time is treating you like steerage.

In fact they are accomadating those that are already onboard.

AND

They will accomadate those arriving that have booked services through

Oceania..such as hotels and transfers. Those people paid for the convenience of logistics and hand holding and since the boarding time changed they are really getting their moneys worth!

If you decide to book independent arrangements, you face the potential issue that when there are changes you must change your independent arrangements. Yes, that stinks..but life is about choices. You had the choice to pay for Oceania's service and all the benefits that go with it.

It's no different if you were to miss your airline that you booked as a fared ticket or as FF miles, the ferry from Moorea, or going out on an independent private tour when in port. At that time you are responsible for coming up with a Plan B-Z to get yourself to the ship WHEN the cruise line says they are boarding you.

Just because an independant passenger has expectations doesn't mean that those will be met as the same as if they booked services through the cruise line....One can hope, one can be thrilled that they are

but at the sametime an independent traveler needs to take responsibility that their independent plans need to adapt to changes.

Maybe I just view this different because I've been on 192 cruises and do immersive DIY land travel. I adapt, I adjust, I shrug my shoulders like I'm in Italy and say it could be worse... I could have actually showed up at 3pm because they didn't have the courtesy to tell me in advance

or Maybe its because I have a Type A personality and I read the fine print on what Oceania is responsible for and what as a traveler I'm responsible for...

but honestly I don't understand the problem.

I'm with you 100% here!

I had a similar issue with a Hapag-Lloyd trip a few years ago..many passengers were arriving on the H-L charter flight from Germany, whilst approximately 25% were "cruise only". The charter flight passengers were of course looked after, and so they should have been, having paid considerably more. As an independent/cruise only passenger I was told of the slight schedule change with plenty of notice, and I adjusted my travel plans accordingly.....if I had wanted to be looked after from start to finish I would have booked everything through Hapag-Lloyd.

There is a secure area at the airport where you can check your bags until the flight. If you are on the Oceania-arranged charter flights, we have been told by our TA that Oceania will transport the luggage to the airport where we can claim it before the flight.

These are the options that we were given if we did not want to make independent arrangements. I can't see how people can be complaining that the cruise line is ignoring guests!

Important Disembarkation Information

Dear Guests and Travel Professionals,

Dear Guests and Travel Partners:

This letter is to provide you with important disembarkation information regarding your upcoming cruise ending in Papeete. Flight departures will take place during the late evening, giving you the opportunity to enjoy a full day in Papeete.

For your convenience, we are offering the following options on disembarkation day.

Option #1

Disembark as early as 8 am and explore Papeete on your own as Marina docks in downtown Papeete. There are taxis available should you want to venture outside of town. For guests who purchased transfers to the airport from Oceania Cruises, shuttle buses will transport you starting at 5 pm from the cruise dock area to the airport. A shuttle schedule will be provided while onboard Marina. Guests who have not purchased transfers can do so prior to departing on the cruise or onboard with the Destination Services team.

Option #2

Upon disembarkation, guests can spend the day in the comfort of their day room and enjoy the facilities at one of the hotels offered by Oceania Cruises with rates starting at $119 per guest, based on double occupancy. A limited number of day rooms are available at local resorts so please contact your travel agent or the Oceania Cruises’ reservations department for rates and availability.

Day room packages include transfers from the ship to the hotel and from the hotel to the airport. Guests will be responsible for all meals and services of a personal nature at the properties.

Option #3

For your convenience, guests may remain onboard Marina and disembark later in the afternoon. Guests staying onboard may remain in their staterooms and suites until noon and enjoy the comforts we have to offer aboard. Lunch will be served in our Terrace Café and Grand Dining Room. Your onboard account will remain open if you would like to make any bar purchases. Your onboard account will be settled prior to 3 pm.

In order to accommodate arriving guests for the next cruise, disembarkation of all remaining guests will be completed by 5 pm. Upon disembarkation, guests who purchased transfers from Oceania Cruises will be transferred by shuttle service from the cruise port to a hospitality holding area until later at night when transfers will be provided to the airport. Light refreshments will be available at the hospitality holding area.

Guests who have purchased their air arrangements through Oceania Cruises will have their luggage collected from outside of their stateroom and suites the night prior to disembarkation. The luggage will be stored in a bonded location and transported in the evening to the airport for collection and check-in on the night of disembarkation.

Guests are urged to keep a hand luggage with their medicines, swimsuits, a change of clothes and other essentials for use on disembarkation day. All valuables should remain in the possession of guests at all times.

For your convenience, hand luggage can be dropped off at a secured area in the cruise port for storage while you enjoy your day in Papeete.

Guests who have made independent air arrangements will need to have their luggage with them as airlines do not provide this service.

For additional questions, please contact your travel agent or Oceania Cruises reservation department for assistance.

We hope that you enjoy this extra time in Papeete.

Warmest Regards,

Oceania Cruises

There is a secure area at the airport where you can check your bags until the flight. If you are on the Oceania-arranged charter flights, we have been told by our TA that Oceania will transport the luggage to the airport where we can claim it before the flight.

These are the options that we were given if we did not want to make independent arrangements. I can't see how people can be complaining that the cruise line is ignoring guests!

Important Disembarkation Information

Dear Guests and Travel Professionals,

Dear Guests and Travel Partners:

This letter is to provide you with important disembarkation information regarding your upcoming cruise ending in Papeete. Flight departures will take place during the late evening, giving you the opportunity to enjoy a full day in Papeete.

For your convenience, we are offering the following options on disembarkation day.

Option #1

Disembark as early as 8 am and explore Papeete on your own as Marina docks in downtown Papeete. There are taxis available should you want to venture outside of town. For guests who purchased transfers to the airport from Oceania Cruises, shuttle buses will transport you starting at 5 pm from the cruise dock area to the airport. A shuttle schedule will be provided while onboard Marina. Guests who have not purchased transfers can do so prior to departing on the cruise or onboard with the Destination Services team.

Option #2

Upon disembarkation, guests can spend the day in the comfort of their day room and enjoy the facilities at one of the hotels offered by Oceania Cruises with rates starting at $119 per guest, based on double occupancy. A limited number of day rooms are available at local resorts so please contact your travel agent or the Oceania Cruises’ reservations department for rates and availability.

Day room packages include transfers from the ship to the hotel and from the hotel to the airport. Guests will be responsible for all meals and services of a personal nature at the properties.

Option #3

For your convenience, guests may remain onboard Marina and disembark later in the afternoon. Guests staying onboard may remain in their staterooms and suites until noon and enjoy the comforts we have to offer aboard. Lunch will be served in our Terrace Café and Grand Dining Room. Your onboard account will remain open if you would like to make any bar purchases. Your onboard account will be settled prior to 3 pm.

In order to accommodate arriving guests for the next cruise, disembarkation of all remaining guests will be completed by 5 pm. Upon disembarkation, guests who purchased transfers from Oceania Cruises will be transferred by shuttle service from the cruise port to a hospitality holding area until later at night when transfers will be provided to the airport. Light refreshments will be available at the hospitality holding area.

Guests who have purchased their air arrangements through Oceania Cruises will have their luggage collected from outside of their stateroom and suites the night prior to disembarkation. The luggage will be stored in a bonded location and transported in the evening to the airport for collection and check-in on the night of disembarkation.

Guests are urged to keep a hand luggage with their medicines, swimsuits, a change of clothes and other essentials for use on disembarkation day. All valuables should remain in the possession of guests at all times.

For your convenience, hand luggage can be dropped off at a secured area in the cruise port for storage while you enjoy your day in Papeete.

Guests who have made independent air arrangements will need to have their luggage with them as airlines do not provide this service.

For additional questions, please contact your travel agent or Oceania Cruises reservation department for assistance.

We hope that you enjoy this extra time in Papeete.

Warmest Regards,

Oceania Cruises

How is this pertinent to OP who is embarking (not disembarking)?

I found the letter for disembarking passengers interesting as to how they will be handled as well.

As I stated in our roll call, when I did a similar trip several years back on the Tahitian Princess (a previous "R" ship), their plan worked very well.

The disembarking passengers needed to be out of their stateroom by 9 a.m. For those who wished to stay on the ship until departing for their flight that night, they could still enjoy meals in the Terrace Cafe (I was in error earlier and said "Horizon"), & drinks were on a cash basis. You could stay around the pool, go watch a movie in the lounge or whatever. When you were ready to get dressed for departure to the airport, you were allowed access to the Spa showers to freshen up.

For those passengers on tours, they were off the ship anyway, but upon their return, they, too, could use the spa showers to freshen up.

This was definitely a workable situation for all embarking and disembarking passengers. Everyone was accommodated. ;)

It's not a big issue but a point of principle.

Yes, we are independent travellers. We have travelled extensively all over the world, booking our own itineraries without the help of travel agents. We have coped with lost luggage, cancelled flights etc and fully appreciate that this is part of the travelling experience.

We have also been on many cruises and not once has the boarding time been changed. Not once has the boarding time been later than 3pm.

What Oceania are doing is saving themselves the expense of adequately dealing with the disembarking passengers on land. For the disembarking passengers, their cruise should end after breakfast and the cruise for the embarking passengers should start as normal at mid-afternoon. Oceania is a big corporation, not a charity, and we are amazed at how accepting some people are of Oceania effectively saying, OK go and amuse yourselves for another 3 hours and pay for your own lunch (as passengers from the last cruise are enjoying this). Obviously it would be different if the ship was late in port because of rough seas or engine problems, but this is not the case.

Also, bear in mind that passengers from the UK are dealing with an 11 hour time difference- an additional 3 hours may not seem a lot to those from the US but it may be to travellers from elsewhere in the world.

Beechwood ...

I think we will have to agree to disagree.

There's a 1st for everything including embarkation time being changed.

We travel from California and when we have sailed out of Athens, Istanbul, etc no one especially those from the UK cared about us and our time difference.

Especially those from the UK that were in the balcony next to us who decided to host a futbol party until 3am

when we explained that we had been up close to 37 hours traveling with a port day the next day they told us to go back to America.

When you travel somewhere you deal with the fact that you are at some point going to be inconvenienced. What works for your schedule isn't the same for others.

I wanted to also add I was on the Pacific Princess on a B2B in 2007

Hawaii to Tahiti to Hawaii

on our turnaround day, there were people all over the ship that were UK passengers waiting for their charter.to leave that night...

luggage everywhere, they set up shop in the buffet and would not abandon the tables for others to eat at that were doing the B2B .

they were sprawled out on couches in every public place SLEEPING and snoring and drooling with their bodies twisted in somewhat inappropriate positions.

honestly, it was NOT a pretty sight.

The last group left at 5pm, Princess started boarding for the next cruise at 4pm and left around 11:30pm at night.

I can guarantee you that if Oceania pulled this scenario that I experienced, there would be a mass exodus it was just so classless, tacky, intrusive (I can go on and on)

So maybe it's also a level of perception on my part....I've seen how bad this disembarkation/embarkation in Papeete can be...delaying us 3 hours to spare

another experience like that is another point in the non issue column for me.

If Oceania is being so proactive regarding disembarking passengers, I cannot imagine they would be ignoring embarking passengers.

Has your TA checked to see if you will be able to drop your luggage off? If they are collecting luggage from disembarking passengers the night before, I would think they will have room to store bags for embarking passengers.

If Oceania is being so proactive regarding disembarking passengers, I cannot imagine they would be ignoring embarking passengers.

It would appear to me from reading this thread that they are indeed ignoring the embarking passengers (at least the independent travelers).

I am not on this cruise - just reading the posts here.

I like the line about agreeing to disagree. Once you read the notice to disembarking passengers, you realize they are just trying their best to be nice to half of the ship who has late night departures that were booked with the line. I don't like booking with the line hotels and flights because it is always double the price of doing it yourself, so for us travelers who enjoy hunting for the best hotel and best flights without Oceania's help, we lost this little battle, On the other hand, those independent travelers getting off the ship seem to have been given some great options as well. I give Oceania credit here, because I thought passengers getting on were always the one's treated royally, and those getting off were just dumped at 800 am to fend for themselves, so Oceania deserves a little bit of cheer for not dumping their disembarking passengers overboard on the last day.

I will simply crack a couple more coconuts at the Merridien to pass the three hours and hopefully won't get tossed out of my room by a disembarking passenger who booked a day pass with my room number on it.

regards

Has your TA checked to see if you will be able to drop your luggage off? If they are collecting luggage from disembarking passengers the night before, I would think they will have room to store bags for embarking passengers.

Yes. We were told O will not accept the luggage and has not made any arrangements to store the luggage for those embarking. I really don't have a big problem with moving the boarding time but I would have thought that O would make an arrangement to accept/store the luggage as do other cruise lines in this area. I will hang out at the resort but others are coming in from other islands.

Aggravated incoming passengers will only cause grief to the ship's staff, so I'm a betting man that at some point over the next few weeks Oceania will figure out something, especially if they have issues on the 27th when they try this out the first time. By the time they get to us on the 7th, they will have smoothed out the wrinkles before a mutiny takes place on the dock! Azamara, its the booze package that's got me, as I love the bother free aspect of the program, but don't want to buy $3500 of booze up front knowing that my drinking goes from Vodka to wine to water as the trip progresses, and since my wife tires of the house wines quickly I end up having to buy bottles at dinner. Wish there was a limited package with limits on drinking, simply so we wouldn't have to sign for every drink. One thing for sure, all inclusive cruise lines have all the passengers enjoying cocktail hour as no one is worrying about bar tabs, and I've noticed on both the Azamara and Oceania those being selective drinkers make the social scene before dinner a lesser event.

I found the letter for disembarking passengers interesting as to how they will be handled as well.

As I stated in our roll call, when I did a similar trip several years back on the Tahitian Princess (a previous "R" ship), their plan worked very well.

The disembarking passengers needed to be out of their stateroom by 9 a.m. For those who wished to stay on the ship until departing for their flight that night, they could still enjoy meals in the Terrace Cafe (I was in error earlier and said "Horizon"), & drinks were on a cash basis. You could stay around the pool, go watch a movie in the lounge or whatever. When you were ready to get dressed for departure to the airport, you were allowed access to the Spa showers to freshen up.

For those passengers on tours, they were off the ship anyway, but upon their return, they, too, could use the spa showers to freshen up.

This was definitely a workable situation for all embarking and disembarking passengers. Everyone was accommodated. ;)[/quote

THAT IS EXACTELY HOW PRINCESS HANDLED EMBARKING/DISEMBARKING PASSENGERS. But Oceania is the "new kid in the block" in Tahiti and still learning. Go with the flow; put yourself in a happy frame of mind and enjoy your cruise and be thankful you're still breathing. Bon Voyage!

:):cool:

I am surprised at Oceania's attitude toward embarking passengers.

We have encountered similar situation in Cape Town (on a Princess cruise) where most flights left late in the evening as they do in PPT.

Some people took tours with transfers to the airport and others took advantage of a hospitality suite rented by Princess. It was a very large air conditioned room where one could safely store their luggage, rest, go shopping in the adjacent mall and have snacks/drinks while waiting for their transfers to the airport.

This allowed embarking passengers to board at their scheduled times.

I do not see why the disembarking passengers should be given essentially an extra day on the ship if it is AT THE EXPENSE of embarking passengers. The cruise for disembarking passengers ends around 9 AM (as it does in every other port) and the cruise begins around 1 PM for the new passengers.

If Oceania could accommodate both groups on the ship, then that would be fine. But as they are not able (or willing) to have both groups on board at the same time, the disembarking passengers should get off at the same time as they do in any other port and Oceania could provide a tour or a hospitality room for them.

IMO, it's that simple.

I bet O will get it right eventually.

We have encountered similar situation in Cape Town (on a Princess cruise) where most flights left late in the evening as they do in PPT.

Some people took tours with transfers to the airport and others took advantage of a hospitality suite rented by Princess. It was a very large air conditioned room where one could safely store their luggage, rest, go shopping in the adjacent mall and have snacks/drinks while waiting for their transfers to the airport.

I do not see why the disembarking passengers should be given essentially an extra day on the ship if it is AT THE EXPENSE of embarking passengers. The cruise for disembarking passengers ends around 9 AM (as it does in every other port) and the cruise begins around 1 PM for the new passengers.

If Oceania could accommodate both groups on the ship, then that would be fine. But as they are not able (or willing) to have both groups on board at the same time, the disembarking passengers should get off at the same time as they do in any other port and Oceania could provide a tour or a hospitality room for them.

IMO, it's that simple.

I agree with you

We have had a Hospitality room at the hotel the cruise line uses (not Oceania) for embarking & disembarking guests

We were taken to the hotel stored our bags & went off exploring until time to go to the airport

Seems strange that Oceania has not done this

Hope it gets sorted

Have a good trip Paul & Marsha

Lyn

IMO, it's that simple.

I agree with you and was surprised when I saw both announcements (embarking and disembarking). O is new to the area and the Marina is twice the size of the Tahitian Princess and much larger than the PG so I am not holding my breath that O will get it right for our 4/7 cruise.

I agree with you and was surprised when I saw both announcements (embarking and disembarking). O is new to the area and the Marina is twice the size of the Tahitian Princess and much larger than the PG so I am not holding my breath that O will get it right for our 4/7 cruise.

But perhaps by being that much larger she could accommodate both groups of passengers onboard for that day (or better part of it) and make everyone happy?

But perhaps by being that much larger she could accommodate both groups of passengers onboard for that day (or better part of it) and make everyone happy?

Actually, if Oceania would just accept the luggage, I think people would be reasonably happy. They could wander around or shop in Tahiti if they did not have to lug their bags with them.

Another thought is renting a car for the day - luggage could go in the trunk and there is a place to drop off the car near the pier.

Another thought is to book an excursion which can be done through your hotel and bring your luggage along, having them drop you off at the pier at the conclusion of the tour.

Or, to impart some levity, you can join us on the Paul Gauguin, I figure they have been doing the French Polynesia cruise for so long, that they have ironed out the kinks.

Hi old "O" friends! Nice to meet you all again via CC.

Just browsing on this thread and thought the simple answer is for "O" to disembark all pax at the correct time and bus those with late flights to a hotel day room.

It is much more convenient and hospitable to do this rather than have those pax who had just completed long and arduous journeys have to wait to board.

We are just cruising from LA, no more flying for us. The airlines have screwed us around long enough with obscene fares and lousy service!!!

Archived