Caribbean Princess Review 8-15 December 2012

Ms Belvedere

OK...so how many punches do we have to get punched?

There are 30 punches on a card, look for Joy in the Crooners Bar (a level above the International Cafe) she was glad to help us complete our cards. We filled out approx 5 cards but didn't win. It was still fun trying!

Thanks to all of you for reading this review and to the CC members sailing the Carib Princess soon, best wishes for a great cruise! :)

It looks like some of my posts didn't come through in the review portion so I'll fill in some of the information I can remember.

There are 2 wine tastings, one early in the week for 25.00 pp that is marketed heavily. We went to the one later in the week on a sea day and was 9.50. It lasted about an hour, Daisy, the Sommelier, was easy to understand and did a nice job describing the wines and guiding us through the tastings.

was the balcony very windy??? We had friends staying in that cabin and it was so windy in the south pacific that u couldn't use it.

On the way out it was very windy with heavy spray at night when the ship was moving faster if we were at the back of the balcony or along the railing. During the day it was fine and I laid out in the sun on the chairs.

At night we just kept the chairs right outside the sliding door and we didn't have the spray or wind.

On the way back the seas were smooth and we had much less wind in the evening. If we have this room again we'll bring a lounger from the aft pool.

If any future cruisers are in this room and plan to have the Ultimate Balcony Dinner I'd suggest they have it on one of the last three nights.

On the way out it was very windy with heavy spray at night when the ship was moving faster if we were at the back of the balcony or along the railing. During the day it was fine and I laid out in the sun on the chairs.

At night we just kept the chairs right outside the sliding door and we didn't have the spray or wind.

On the way back the seas were smooth and we had much less wind in the evening. If we have this room again we'll bring a lounger from the aft pool.

If any future cruisers are in this room and plan to have the Ultimate Balcony Dinner I'd suggest they have it on one of the last three nights.

Since we are in the same cabin we are hoping to schedule the UBD the evening in Curacao while in port...no worries about wind then.

thanks for the review. We sail next Saturday. I see you did not mention any Trivia games...None? or you did not play?

the bus idea sounds good.....

I love to read a review where someone enjoys their food and is not ashamed to say so...I read one the other night..where the guest was miffed...because the staff had not been enthusiastic when she and DH "redid" their menu. UGH. Where do these people get that kind of gall? And who cooks for them..if the ship food is so unsatisfactory....Martha Stewart on a daily basis? Paula Deen?

Since we are in the same cabin we are hoping to schedule the UBD the evening in Curacao while in port...no worries about wind then.

That sounds like a good idea, you can play it by ear to see if it's rainy or stormy that evening. The Captain gave regular accounts of the weather and what we could expect each day and evening. Our room steward's name was Aries, from the Phillipines. He was quiet but would talk if you took the time to speak to him. Very nice guy and we tipped him extra on the last night.

There are plain envelopes in a box at the Pursor's desk for anyone you'd like to give additional tips.

We got a huge kick out of the Captain's announcements, he had a good sense of humor.

thanks for the review. We sail next Saturday. I see you did not mention any Trivia games...None? or you did not play?

the bus idea sounds good.....

I love to read a review where someone enjoys their food and is not ashamed to say so...I read one the other night..where the guest was miffed...because the staff had not been enthusiastic when she and DH "redid" their menu. UGH. Where do these people get that kind of gall? And who cooks for them..if the ship food is so unsatisfactory....Martha Stewart on a daily basis? Paula Deen?

From the Capers: Trivia

Sunday - Afternoon Trivia in the Explorer's Lounge - 4:30 pm

Monday - General Knowledge Trivia in Club Fusion - 10:30 am (Deck 7 AFt)

50's-60's Multimedia Trivia 8:15 pm Club Fusion

Tuesday - Morning Trivia 10 am Club Fusion

Team Trivia 4:15 Wheelhouse Bar (right beside the Explorer's

Lounge

Multimedia Trivia 8:15 pm Club Fusion

Wednesday - Afternoon Trivia 4:15 pm Club Fusion

Thursday - Morning Trivia 10:30 am Club Fusion

Multimedia Trivia 4:30 pm Explorer's Lounge

Friday - Morning Trivia 10:30 am Club Fusion

Afternoon Theme Trivia 4:30 pm Explorer's Lounge

Multimedia Trivia 8:00 pm Club Fusion

As far as the food goes, there wasn't anything I ate that wasn't good to excellent. The International Cafe had a sugar Free Blueberry Yogurt Parfait that was delicious, it was probably the only thing I ate that leaned towards diet food.

Fish was everywhere on the buffett: herring, smoked trout, one day or night (I forget) they had an entire smoked salmon at the carving station. Lox were available every morning for breakfast.

There was shellfish too, the last night at dinner they had steamed mussels with a cream sauce, to die for, they brought two servings since it was the end of the evening and they were closing the kitchen. Hang onto a roll or two to sop up the broth if you order the mussels.

They had peeled, sliced kiwi at breakfast one morning, and always a wide assortment of sliced cheeses from cheddar and pepperjack to gouda.

From the Capers: Trivia

Sunday - Afternoon Trivia in the Explorer's Lounge - 4:30 pm

Monday - General Knowledge Trivia in Club Fusion - 10:30 am (Deck 7 AFt)

50's-60's Multimedia Trivia 8:15 pm Club Fusion

Tuesday - Morning Trivia 10 am Club Fusion

Team Trivia 4:15 Wheelhouse Bar (right beside the Explorer's

Lounge

Multimedia Trivia 8:15 pm Club Fusion

Wednesday - Afternoon Trivia 4:15 pm Club Fusion

Thursday - Morning Trivia 10:30 am Club Fusion

Multimedia Trivia 4:30 pm Explorer's Lounge

Friday - Morning Trivia 10:30 am Club Fusion

Afternoon Theme Trivia 4:30 pm Explorer's Lounge

Multimedia Trivia 8:00 pm Club Fusion

As far as the food goes, there wasn't anything I ate that wasn't good to excellent. The International Cafe had a sugar Free Blueberry Yogurt Parfait that was delicious, it was probably the only thing I ate that leaned towards diet food.

Fish was everywhere on the buffett: herring, smoked trout, one day or night (I forget) they had an entire smoked salmon at the carving station. Lox were available every morning for breakfast.

There was shellfish too, the last night at dinner they had steamed mussels with a cream sauce, to die for, they brought two servings since it was the end of the evening and they were closing the kitchen. Hang onto a roll or two to sop up the broth if you order the mussels.

They had peeled, sliced kiwi at breakfast one morning, and always a wide assortment of sliced cheeses from cheddar and pepperjack to gouda.

Thanks for the trivia information. We play and enjoy it. Never win..but still. One of things I love on a cruise is the cut up fruit..grapes, melon, canteloupe, pineapple. I know it is not that much effort to do it, and to buy it in the grocery..good but $$$...so to just get bowl after bowl of fresh, sweet chopped fruit...I love it.

There was NOTHING at the International Cafe that I did not think was delcious..with the warm cookies at night..being the best. DH..who weighs less than when he played ball (he was on scholarship) in college....after several rows after he snitched mine..started making the run with me..last stop before the cabin and bed.

Someone else's cooking for a week..professional presentations with the little chocolate squggles and such on the plate...a plate of petit fours after dinner with coffee....I am living high! How in the devil can anyone complain about meals on Princess..or most any other cruise line escapes me. Most make their own bread, and my husband and I joke about getting a table for two..then we can eat the entire basket of bread..and all of the butter!

And all of the things I love at breakfast and am too lazy to fix...bacon..boiled eggs...little cinnamon rolls...grits.. I am trying to skip some meals now....so that I can indulge more then..and still have some clothes to wear home.......

Actually all this talk of delicious food has inspired me to make a fruit cake. My husband is at the liquor store now..instructed to come home with a bottle of Sherry or Brandy. He will come home with Jack Daniels. And it will work fine. I am from Alabama, pre Florida, and my Mother..everyone in my family, including me..do not drink....(I just don't like the taste, and I would rather eat my calories..never had a problem that a Milky Way could not help) BUT the Christmas Fruitcake has a cup of whiskey or wine in it..then a cloth is soaked in wine, and it is put in the fridge. With enough time..soaking it until Christmas ( I started too late)..by Christmas..when it is served..you would not want to light a match around it. And we gobble it down like pigs. I think alcohol converts to sugar in the cooking process..but who knows. It is delicious.

Thanks again for that lovely review.

One of things I love on a cruise is ... to just get bowl after bowl of fresh, sweet chopped fruit...I love it

Someone else's cooking for a week... How in the devil can anyone complain about meals on Princess..or most any other cruise line escapes me.

Actually all this talk of delicious food has inspired me to make a fruit cake.

I agree with everything you've written!:D

Your pictures *ROCK*! Thanks for posting them! We have some good ones too but the computer is being stupid. Or maybe that's me.

It was a great week on a great boat. We are ready to turn around and get back onboard.

Thanks so much, your review "rocked". :) Photobucket is acting up today, I have some pics to post about the "rummage sale" on Thursday.

On Thursday we were walking down the hall past the Island Dining Room when we saw what looked like a sale at Filene's Basement. From the Patters:

10:00 am - 1 pm: Onboard Outlet Sale 3 hours only save up to 75% US suggested retail prices apparel, souvenirs, jewelry and much more. We strolled through to see what the excitement was about. Most items were the Bijoux-Turner 10.00 scarves, jewelry, purses. Buy 3, get 10% off the total price.

There were watches, sunglasses, toiletry sets (nail clipper, nail files, tweezers), and lots of clothes, bathing suit coverups, T-shirts, sweatshirts, etc...If this is a regular event on the cruise, look under the tables for more boxes. I peeked under a couple and there were 2-3 boxes waiting to be unloaded. The evening bags would have been a good deal but we just snapped some pictures and got the heck out of Dodge.

DSCN0947_zps894c64ca.jpg

DSCN0947_zps894c64ca.jpg

DSCN0948_zps73d64653.jpg

DSCN0946_zps9b24a463.jpg

Not allowed due to fire regulations. If your steward finds this or any other non fire-resistent furniture on the balcony, it will be removed.

One of the last days we realized that this room sleeps 5, not 4. The main bed (2), sleeper sofa (2) and an upper in the ceiling (1).

I believe the sleeper sofa only sleeps one as the part that pulls out into a bed is twin size.

Not allowed due to fire regulations. If your steward finds this or any other non fire-resistent furniture on the balcony, it will be removed.

I believe the sleeper sofa only sleeps one as the part that pulls out into a bed is twin size.

Thanks for the info, we'll let the furnture alone rather than cause probs for the room steward.

It would make a very good room for a family with the two televisions and two extra berths.

Hey we get on and in room E725 this Sat. Can you tell us about the beds? There has been lots of complaints of really hard beds and even bed bugs on the CP. And how about the plumbing in that room? Any problems your week? Did you arrive in Caraco on time?

We were on the same cruise and just up the hall from you in E725. We agree that Aries was super nice and did a wonderful job.

Thanks for the great review, information & photos!

We will be on the CB in June doing the British Isles - hope she is in good shape & has no mechanical issues. ;)

Then I am doing the Curacao/Aruba cruise next Dec. on the Crown :):)

Thanks again to all of you for reading and for your comps on the pictures. I love a review with pics and being able to see the ship from the reviewer's perspective.

Waves to Boardwalk Babe, we were neighbors for a week! The ship was in decent shape, a little wear and tear here and there, I showed pics of some corrosion on our balcony, but you expect that when you're on the seas.

We had no problems with beds being uncomfortable, but have read some other's bad experience in other rooms. No bed bugs but did get bitten with sand fleas on Princess Cays, just some bug marks on DHs legs, he must taste better than I do. :D

Catsforkids, have a wonderful time in the British Isles, that sounds like a wonderful cruise!!

Archived