Carnival Breeze.....thumbs down

Koiman1

I will post a review later of our December 8th cruise aboard the Breeze. I saw some things that looked like Carnival cheapening the experience, but overall....still a great value for the money. We enjoyed our aft extended balcony cabin...where I fell asleep several times listening to the wake.

The lines in the buffet were NOT bad, and plenty of places to sit. I will join in the chorus of complaining about the elevator traffic. We were on the 8th deck, and most of the time we would walk down to the 5th deck, or the 4th deck for dinner in the Blush dining room upper. Not too bad, but we did ride the elevators UP to get back to 8 most of the time.

Overall, we saw every show we wanted to see, and got there early. We skipped the 2nd elegant night since the menu sucked in the MDR. We had excellent table mates. We really enjoyed Kris and Allen's company. They had been on over 40 cruises and we learned a few things from them. One was just to go with the flow and enjoy the cruise. Only do what your comfortable doing.

The food overall was tolerable but not great. I liked Guys Burger Joint, but I always ordered mine plain with no cheese and then went to the topping bar. Unlike many complainers about the topping bar being so crowded, I never had any problem getting my toppings. I do recommend hi-jacking a bottle of ketchup from the lido buffet and bring it with you. They only have one pump for the ketchup and it was pitifully slow coming out, if at all.

That's all I've got for now, but it was a very enjoyable cruise! We'd do it again!

Thanks for your positive thoughts. After reading the first few pages I thought I would have to cancel my up coming trip on the BREEZE.

I must admit that after over a dozen cruises on various lines I have seen a steady decline in the overall experience. That beng said crujising is still a grat value

Thanks for your positive thoughts. After reading the first few pages I thought I would have to cancel my up coming trip on the BREEZE.

I must admit that after over a dozen cruises on various lines I have seen a steady decline in the overall experience. That beng said crujising is still a grat value

I agree. With having learned from their experience with the Dream, you'd think they'd have things worked out.

Its brand new so have a GREAT time enjoying the newness! Take lots of pictures...

I would think ANY vacation purveyer has at least a slight duty to try to keep their guests engaged if not entertained. Honestly we felt "robbed".

YMMV

I don't think I have ever expected a "purveyor" to keep me engaged. They are providing me with an over-all product and it is up to me to use it, abuse it, ignore it, embrace it, complain about it, etc. I don't think anyone else can make or break my vacation...but that is just how I roll. I've had all sorts of experiences, mini catastrophes, major screw-ups, irritations, disappointments but I work on keeping all that in perspective. If I don't want any of these things I'll just stay home a rockin' in my easy lounger and flipping through a tv set that has a couple of hundred stations and nothing I want to watch.

I have found CC a great place to come to read. It's like a mini study in sociology and personal psychology and helps me put a whole bunch into perspective and, daily, reiterates my theory that some people really can't see the forest because they get overly focused on the trees (and their judgment of the trees). I'm totally in the "a vacation is what YOU make it corner" and on this day, especially, I say bah-humbug to those that just don't get the meaning of that phrase...and on CC I have found a whole, whole bunch that don't.

Oh...you should never cancel based on another person's experience. What someone else finds important could be inconsequential to you.

Cruising is the best value out there. Even for my last cruise...(which may be my last cruise on Carnival)....the value was great. I got more than what I paid for. I just didn't get "what I want"....and in order to "get what I want" I'll probably have to pay 4 times as much. (And even then...there are no guarantees I'll be happy!)

Give me a nice ship, and I will bring my fun with me. I appreciate all reviews, including the ones that are not all positive. I listen carefully, and make mental notes on how to avoid some of the problems people went through. I now know to get to the comedy shows early, I will let the main crowd die down before going to the buffet, etc. they don't run out of food, so it will be fine. Thank you for letting us know what to work around.Have a wonderful day today. :)

Oh...you should never cancel based on another person's experience. What someone else finds important could be inconsequential to you.

Cruising is the best value out there. Even for my last cruise...(which may be my last cruise on Carnival)....the value was great. I got more than what I paid for. I just didn't get "what I want"....and in order to "get what I want" I'll probably have to pay 4 times as much. (And even then...there are no guarantees I'll be happy!)

Ouch, four times as much?

Just ONCE I believe everybody should experience a real cruise. When they actually TRY to impress their customer. When they put out their finery and the best they have to offer.

It really is quite the vacation.

Just ONCE I believe everybody should experience a real cruise. When they actually TRY to impress their customer. When they put out their finery and the best they have to offer.

Our last cruise on the Allure of the sea (RCCL) was just that very impressing felt like a king. Hope our cruise in a week and a half on the Breeze is great to Dont know if it could get better than last year :D

MERRY CHRISTMAS to everyone

Yes...4 times as much...but I was really referring to land vacations. (Other cruise line I'd say twice as much)

1. I take the city bus to the port at NYC...anywhere else, I'd have to fly (and I'm not a fan of flying)...so, let's say $500 each

2. I'm thinking Costa Rica...the hotel alone is about the cost of a cruise. (not an all inclusive....I prefer to limit my intake)....about $1500 for 2

There's $2500 already.

3. Add day trips.... (day trips are about $250 for 2 people...each day....so..let's say 4 trips...another $1000).

Now we have $3500

4. Add in food, entertainment, local transportation, souvenirs, tips...etc....

which I'm sure would add up to "a lot".....

My last Carnival trip was about $1500 including tips....that was for a 240 sq ft cabin with the extended balcony. I could have done it for $1200 but I got an upsell a few days before we sailed.

I'm really more interested in a trip where I could learn something...I've had enough of the highlight of the day being "food" and looking at overpriced diamonds.

In addition...I live in the heart of NYC. I eat out daily and go to B'way shows about once a month. So....whatever I get on a ship isn't going to be "better than what I could get at home". But, the jungles of Costa Rica isn't something I could walk out my door and have. :)

Sadly...when it comes time to plan...DH will probably "freak out" because we're so used to paying so little....and getting so much...even if it leaves a lot to be desired. (OH well, I'm the CEO here...he may never know!)

We will be taking our first Carnival cruise in 2 weeks on the Breeze . I have checked out reviews and the fun times and it does seem the entertainment is lacking . We have only cruised RCCL on the Allure last year entertainment was Great so im just guessing that it wont be as good on the Breeze. But think we will still have a great cruise just don't let things bother you and make sure you buy the Cheers package things will be good:D

Looking forward to this cruise. We will be on the same cruise. I agree we have read most of the reviews and looks like it should be fun! Here's to a great time!:)

We were on the TA crossing of the Breeze and we loved it all the way. My only complaint is that we didn't have enough time to really see everything on the ship, go figure. I guess it went downhill after it left Miami the first time. We had great service and no complaints by us or anyone else that I noticed while on board. I do get tired of hearing people post, "you get what you paid for". I think we got a great deal for what we paid for.

Ever heard of the adage that you get what you get what you pay for?

I only paid $80pp more than Carnival for my recent 7 day Ruby Princess cruise and it was a much better value than Carnival. Much much better considering the price was almost the same. Still, Carnival does offer a decent cruise for its price.

I agree with the OP - the MDR on the Breeze does have SERIOUS issues. And the wait staff has every right to blame it on the kitchen - I wrote a review as well and this was our one major complaint. However, it was fixed because I spoke up (to the maitre d, guest services and then John Heald's FB page) and it was finally remedied. Because we missed a port, the bad food was compounded with another day at sea but we didn't let lines ruin the trip for us.

Did the OP complain to the "powers that be?" I could see why, if no one spoke up, an entire trip could be rained upon. Sorry you didn't have fun :(

I agree with the OP - the MDR on the Breeze does have SERIOUS issues. And the wait staff has every right to blame it on the kitchen - I wrote a review as well and this was our one major complaint. However, it was fixed because I spoke up (to the maitre d, guest services and then John Heald's FB page) and it was finally remedied. Because we missed a port, the bad food was compounded with another day at sea but we didn't let lines ruin the trip for us.

Did the OP complain to the "powers that be?" I could see why, if no one spoke up, an entire trip could be rained upon. Sorry you didn't have fun :(

To bring it back on topic, I think it more of a personnel issue than a ship issue (comparing one to another). Ever since Carnival changed the support team (one head waiter and three assistants), I beleive they have way to much geography to cover. As a result it comes across as luke warm food delivery and a host of other problems. I am not dissing the staff, but the number of them working in MDR. Same can be said to a lessor degree of the room stewards, although the evidence of their work is not seen in a tight timeframe.

Honestly this is so much BS. If this were the case why not buy a $10 raft and float your favorite river?

Cruielines purport to supply you with "the experience of a lifetime" or advertise they are the "funship".

I've yet to see a commercial saying, "Give us your money and we'll let you amuse yourself onboard with no input from us whatsoever!"

Not exactly a catchphrase...

It amazes me that you would tell April this is so much BS. I get what she is saying-everything in life is what you make of it! If you approach something expecting to find something wrong, you will because you are looking for it and what is perfect to one person isn't to someone else. For me, vacations are a retreat from day to day living and I find cruise ships to be a great get away for a reasonable price. I don't even see those little annoiances so many of you whine about because they have no importance to me. I think this is the point she was trying to make.

forgot to mention that I find it odd on our Breeze Cruise that in the MDR, our Head Waiter was seen bringing out many dishes of food and piling them up in a row on a stand, etc....it was only him that was delivering food to the tables and it seemed that at busy points it would take 5 mins or so to deliver food to each table? That is crazy, and it was like his Asst's were not able to do so. That is crazy if you ask me...

It amazes me that you would tell April this is so much BS. I get what she is saying-everything in life is what you make of it! If you approach something expecting to find something wrong, you will because you are looking for it and what is perfect to one person isn't to someone else. For me, vacations are a retreat from day to day living and I find cruise ships to be a great get away for a reasonable price. I don't even see those little annoiances so many of you whine about because they have no importance to me. I think this is the point she was trying to make.

Honestly, I stand by my statement. There was much more to this thread than what your read here. Yes, it is getting hard to follow and some statements don't make much sense without context.

If, indeed, "a cruise is what you make it" why should cruiselines provide any entertainment at all?

Many cliches have been born here on CruiseCritic. Few of which have basis in fact.

Honestly, I stand by my statement. There was much more to this thread than what your read here. Yes, it is getting hard to follow and some statements don't make much sense without context.

If, indeed, "a cruise is what you make it" why should cruiselines provide any entertainment at all?

Many cliches have been born here on CruiseCritic. Few of which have basis in fact.

The entertainment has never been a make or break for me on a cruise-at least, in the main show room. I do miss the reggae bands on lido. I have read the whole thread and stand by my statement.:D guess its a draw!!

Pat

Bottom Line... it isn't about towel folding - that indeed is the "small stuff."

The major concerns of the OP were food and entertainment and his comments are spot on.

We just got off the Paradise and I have already posted a food review. Bottom line... a major, major disappointment with a drastic decline in quality.

The same for the entertainment. The Production Shows remain good but the rest of the stuff was simply cost cutting. I have no desire to listen to fellow cruisers sing, nor do I think a dance class replaces a major show.

The OP raises legitimate concerns which many who have cruised other lines will immediately see.

So you have sailed the Breeze?

Would concur with your comments! Had an enjoyable time on the cruise and am not complaining, but as with everything there is tremendous opportunity for improvements! Will first start with things I really enjoyed:

1.) loved the late night comedy shows

2.) loved our room - well laid out and comfortable, especially the whirlpool tub and shower

3.). Enjoyed Falmouth - a stark contrast to the port at Ocho Rios- new port and well laid out.

4.) loved the steakhouse and the Italian restaurant - best meals of the cruise

The things we didn't like:

1.) service in the main dining room - never had anyone come to the table to ask about drinks -wanted a soda or wine with dinner, but never anyone who provided this service at our table

2.) long lines - pizza 20-25 minutes at midnight, jimmy BBQ- 30 minutes (food was good but cold), lido Buffett - 20-30 minutes for omelette, never tied the wok lines always too long, Guys - 20 minutes . We tried different times but always found the lines long. Did room service too avoid the lines -usually about 45 minutes to 1 hour for delivery.

3.) Comedy brunch - asked to sit by window - set in the back by kitchen poorest service of the cruise.

4.) biggest concern was embarkation, disembarkation. We had booked three rooms for our family -suite and two interiors. The rooms were all tied to one account. We were not allowed o board or disembark as a family. Suite had priority boarding others had to wait. Had early disembarkation time for suite while interior rooms were over an hour and a half later. Had specifically asked about this when booking and was told as long as under one account we could board together! When we to to port a different message.

5.) definite cost cutting measures noticeable from previous cruises -particularly noted in food offerings and selections. Our kids would go to dinner and then order room service because they were still hungry. another example - no live entertainment on pool deck

We have been on many cruises and many lines, we enjoyed ourselves on this cruise but for the amount of money spent,level of quality, value and service will look to other lines for future family cruises

The entertainment has never been a make or break for me on a cruise-at least, in the main show room. I do miss the reggae bands on lido. I have read the whole thread and stand by my statement.:D guess its a draw!!

Pat

LOL! I really, really miss the steel drums. It was a big part of the ambiance.

A lot depends upon whether or not you consider the ship your "destination" If so, then Carnival fails miserably. My wife and I use Carnival as a "less expensive" taxi to where we want to go.

To put things in perspective, would you agree with the statement, "Walt Disney World is what you make it." The obvious answer is no. When you pay for WDW you have a reasonable expectation that they will keep you entertained - which they do very well.

April, I apologize for being blunt. I understand that you are a "glass is half full" person and I applaud you for that. But as long as Carnival expects you to entertain yourself they won't make an effort.

It didn't used to be this way...

LOL! I really, really miss the steel drums. It was a big part of the ambiance.

A lot depends upon whether or not you consider the ship your "destination" If so, then Carnival fails miserably. My wife and I use Carnival as a "less expensive" taxi to where we want to go.

To put things in perspective, would you agree with the statement, "Walt Disney World is what you make it." The obvious answer is no. When you pay for WDW you have a reasonable expectation that they will keep you entertained - which they do very well.

April, I apologize for being blunt. I understand that you are a "glass is half full" person and I applaud you for that. But as long as Carnival expects you to entertain yourself they won't make an effort.

It didn't used to be this way...

I get where YOU are coming from. the difference between you and me and why what matters to you doesn't matter to me is I don't expect the cruiseline to entertain me. I go on a cruise for relaxation time and that feeling of getting away from it all. I can accomplish this on a cruise ship-cell phone doesn't ring, etc., everyday life fades away for a week and I return rested and refreshed. My entertainment is people watching, laughing with friends and new friends, lounging around on the Lido deck with a good book sipping a cocktail, a 2 hour dinner at night drinking wine and sharing the day with family and friends we are cruising with. The games and shows on the ship have never been a high point for me, so I don't miss them. Food is subjective, give me a good salad bar and I'm a happy girl!:D So, this isn't a right or wrong argument, just a what we need and expect from our cruise that shapes the perception.

Pat

Archived