How does Azamara compare to Oceania?

AD607

Having done both Oceania and Azamara last year IMHO AZ wins hands down on nearly every point, including food, entertainment, crew, service and on board costs.

However, it has to be said that Oceania Marina is a very beautiful ship and certainly has the WOW factor.

But.....despite several bargain offers from Oceania in my Inbox.....I booked another Azamara cruise yesterday, so maybe that tells you which cruise line I prefer! :)

I am off to try Silversea tomorrow, so possibly I might have a new favourite soon.

I am off to try Silversea tomorrow, so possibly I might have a new favourite soon.

Hi Lottie,

Just wanted to wish you a wonderful Cruise, and Happy New Year !

Interested to hear how you like SilverSea. We were on Prince Albert II (before they changed the name) to the Arctic in 2009 and although it was good, it did not make our top ten vacation list at the time (we had just been to Antarctica with A&K on Swan Hellenic, and A&K won hands down for service including a better expedition team). The food was good but I did not care for the assistant expedition leader and I don't remember meeting the Captain. We actually canceled another cruise on SilverSea in favor of Azamara.

It was casual wear all the time on SilverSea in the Arctic and they did let one person into the dining room each night with a t-shirt, shorts and flip flops (it didn't bother me since the guy was likeable, just an observation).

At the time I was told on the SilverSea board that I really can't compare their expedition ship to the others. They have great itineraries.

Happy New Year and hope you enjoy your cruise.

Was this booked after the standard final payment date? I have heard of these deals through agents including airfare but they are never on the Azamara site. It seems to be secret pricing. Also, was this 3 cruises put together which would include the discount for booking multiple itineraries btbtb (I think up to a $1,600.00 discount)?

Thanks.

Nothing "secret" at all.

We booked Quest's trans-Atlantic from Malaga to Rio in February with the Valentine's Day promotion, attractively-priced with a ChoiceAir discount plus $500 on board credit. Then, when Bill Leiber posted in July that Quest's dry dock was being shortened and a Canary Islands cruise added at another attractive price, we booked that cruise plus the four-day short cruise in between, using two Open Passages and also receiving back-to-back-to-back discounts. Our travel agent threw in some additional on board credit, as we booked it all through him. Lastly, the austerity strike in Spain caused Azamara to shorten the Canaries cruise by two days, giving us a bit of a refund on that one as well. Net: right at $9000 for two including air and all the Azamara standard inclusive goodies.

My point is not to tell everyone what a good deal we were able to put together, but to point out that to single out one attractively-priced cruise as an indication of relative pricing simply makes no sense. By the way, today's Oceania email supposedly giving super special pricing ("2-for-1 pricing plus up to $6000 bonus discount") lists a number of 12-day cruises, the least expensive of which for a veranda is something well over $4000, and that's for a Miami-Miami cruise with Nassau, Bermuda, Charleston, Norfolk, and Port Canaveral as ports. Even oceanview staterooms are up to $3500 with this super special deal, so I don't know where that $3000 fare for a veranda came from. Doesn't matter, actually.

Nothing "secret" at all.

We booked Quest's trans-Atlantic from Malaga to Rio in February with the Valentine's Day promotion, attractively-priced with a ChoiceAir discount plus $500 on board credit. Then, when Bill Leiber posted in July that Quest's dry dock was being shortened and a Canary Islands cruise added at another attractive price, we booked that cruise plus the four-day short cruise in between, using two Open Passages and also receiving back-to-back-to-back discounts. Our travel agent threw in some additional on board credit, as we booked it all through him. Lastly, the austerity strike in Spain caused Azamara to shorten the Canaries cruise by two days, giving us a bit of a refund on that one as well. Net: right at $9000 for two including air and all the Azamara standard inclusive goodies.

quote]

Thank you for the detailed explanation. We had a really low per diem last year after Egypt was canceled on two cruises we had already booked and the fares went down with the new itinerary. This was despite the fact I could not get a Choice air discount because Azamara never told me about Choice Air and nonrefundable air was already booked, and they agreed and then refused to refund our non-refundable hotel. But, I don't think this is typical.

I think that the point needs to be stressed that if you are going to compare comparables then you have to compare per diems. Once you have reduced the cruise tariff to that then you can begin to appreciate the "add-ons" and decide if the latter has value to you and what that value is. At least then, you'll know what your cost is really going to be and whether or not that's where you want to put your resources.

BTW, Happy New Year Everyone.

All Quest beds have been replaced and Journey's will be in 1Q2013. Likewise for much of public spaces decor. All staterooms have been refurbished on Quest and will be on Journey. While Azamara charges for specialty dining for non-suite guests, all gratuities (except butler) and wine at lunch and dinner are included for EVERYONE. Starting sometime in March, beer, wine, and standard liquor will also be included, along with one special evening event on-shore. Let's reflect reality in our comparisons, not years ago experiences.

Just one question - we've previously sailed on Azamara in a balcony cabin and will again in less than 3 weeks in a suite. I've never read or seen any comments regarding an additional gratuity being required for Butler service: Is this actually required or is it an individual decision? Thank you.

Just one question - we've previously sailed on Azamara in a balcony cabin and will again in less than 3 weeks in a suite. I've never read or seen any comments regarding an additional gratuity being required for Butler service: Is this actually required or is it an individual decision? Thank you.

Sorry, I've just noticed this butler gratuity question has been corrected/addressed above already:o. So, no additional gratuity required (but can be given if one wishes), as I thought. Thanks.

Sorry, I've just noticed this butler gratuity question has been corrected/addressed above already:o. So, no additional gratuity required (but can be given if one wishes), as I thought. Thanks.

I always give extra. i ask for little extras and give more money per cruise

Archived