Help Deciding - NCL Sky or RCI Monarch or RCI Majesty

LJenning5

We are trying to decide on a cruise for March 2013. (Couple, early 40's age)

-NCL Sky (Miami) - Cheaper, Balcony available, flight to MIA more than Orlando

-Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas (Port Canaveral) - Pricer than NCL, No Balcony available, flight to Orlando cheaper than MIA

-Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas (Miami) - Pricier than NCL, No Balcony available, MIA more expensive flight than Orlando

I have cruised a RCI many years ago and we just cruised NCL Pride Am together last year. We experienced many of the cons associated with NCL on our cruise together but HE had nothing to compare it to. BUT it was the only inter-island Hawaii cruise and worth the NCL stuff you have to put up with.

We had a balcony cabin for NCL Pride of Am cruise and loved having a balcony but that was a long and tiring cruise. This is such a short cruise but we really enjoyed our nightly relaxing on the balcony with wine in our pjs. BUT again this is such a short cruise. We are foodies and were slightly disappointed with the quality of food on NCL Pride of Am. We ate at 4 specialty restaurants because the quality of food at buffet and standard dining rooms wasn't good at all.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! Thanks!

Been on all 3, Sky and Majesty recently (more than once on both). I say go with Majesty. Book a deck 9 SO room. I had a balcony on Sky, but found the rooms much more comfortable on Majesty. Sky rooms are very dated, tvs barely work, and beds are rock hard. Also, I found Majesty service to be much better than on Sky. No offense to Sky fans, but in my experience, the ship just feels much cheaper than Majesty. Plus, Coco Cay blows away Great Stirrup Cay, even with the renovation.

I have been on RCCL over 8 times and NCL POA earlier this month. Must say I prefer RCCL a little more. I have taken a cruise on the sister ship to the Monarch, the Sovereign of the Seas and enjoyed it.

One note that might effect the experience on the Monach of the Seas is the fact that the month you are looking to go (March) is the last month it will be in the RCCL fleet moving to their Spanish affiliate. This may effect the quality of the crew attitude. The next month the Enchantment of the Seas takes over for the Monarch and is a newer and larger ship with balcony rooms. Might consider delaying for that..

I would choose the sky. You can fly into Ft. Lauderdale cheaper than Miami. I've been on Majesty and the Sky and I wouldn't do the Majesty again cause IMO the Sky beats it hands down. I also like Great Stirrup Cay more than Coco Cay.

I have been on RCCL over 8 times and NCL POA earlier this month. Must say I prefer RCCL a little more. I have taken a cruise on the sister ship to the Monarch, the Sovereign of the Seas and enjoyed it.

One note that might effect the experience on the Monach of the Seas is the fact that the month you are looking to go (March) is the last month it will be in the RCCL fleet moving to their Spanish affiliate. This may effect the quality of the crew attitude. The next month the Enchantment of the Seas takes over for the Monarch and is a newer and larger ship with balcony rooms. Might consider delaying for that..

Interesting info! Thank you so much. I am afraid we might be stuck with March but I am going to have to double check (we may have to go Easter weekend to utilize holiday day off). These boards are so helpful! thank you

-Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas (Port Canaveral) - Pricer than NCL, No Balcony available, flight to Orlando cheaper than MIA

-Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas (Miami) - Pricier than NCL, No Balcony available, MIA more expensive flight than Orlando

I have cruised a RCI many years ago and we just cruised NCL Pride Am together last year. We experienced many of the cons associated with NCL on our cruise together but HE had nothing to compare it to. BUT it was the only inter-island Hawaii cruise and worth the NCL stuff you have to put up with.

We had a balcony cabin for NCL Pride of Am cruise and loved having a balcony but that was a long and tiring cruise. This is such a short cruise but we really enjoyed our nightly relaxing on the balcony with wine in our pjs. BUT again this is such a short cruise. We are foodies and were slightly disappointed with the quality of food on NCL Pride of Am. We ate at 4 specialty restaurants because the quality of food at buffet and standard dining rooms wasn't good at all.

I haven't read the other responses yet, but let me forwarn you about one thing: March is spring break for many kids, especially the college crowd and the shorter cruises are usually filled with young people, so regardless of which you choose,remember, the ship will be overrun with partiers. Now, that being said: I have never cruised the Monarch but have the other two. In my humble opinion there is no choice: we have only sailed a couple of ships we would not sail again, the Majesty was one of them. On the other hand we really enjoy the Sky but it has been years since we sailed her.

I have the same question on which to take. Read both good and bad about both NCL and RCCL.

I'm going in Feb. have not book the ship yet since I have a choice of either these three or Carnival Sensation.

does the prices get less closer to departure or More?

I have the same question on which to take. Read both good and bad about both NCL and RCCL.

I'm going in Feb. have not book the ship yet since I have a choice of either these three or Carnival Sensation.

does the prices get less closer to departure or More?

February is a peak sailing time. If anything, the price will go up not down. IF the ship isn't sold out by the time you decide to book.

February is a peak sailing time. If anything, the price will go up not down. IF the ship isn't sold out by the time you decide to book.

While that is usually the case, there are exceptions. For example our upcoming Feb 9th cruise on the Epic just had a noticeable price drop and there are still many categories to choose from and only about 40 days before departure. The same has not happened on the Pearl cruise 8 days later.

I'll 2nd or 3rd the Ft Lauderdale and then shuttle comments, and we love the Sky, it's a smaller ship but has a great feel and a Polynesian influence to the decor. Food has been great in MDR, Buffet most of the time and Cagney's is always a highlight for us

Not sure if you're interested in the three night Fri-Mon or the four night Mon-Fri. If the former, you might want to consider that Sky and Majesty are in Nassau on Sunday when many attractions are closed while Monarch is there on Saturday. That said, I've done the three day twice on Sky from Miami and once on Sovereign before it was replaced by Monarch and I greatly prefer the experience on the Sky. I found the service friendlier, the cabin larger - had insides on both ships, the ship layout better, and generally liked the freestyle aspects on NCL more than I did RCCL.

Monarach is the lowest price since it only has two ports.

NCL Sky is the middle price but it stays at Nassau the shortest time.

and Majasty is the highest price

I'm leaving on Feb 4th.

So I think its going to be either Monarach or SKY.

Thanks for the feed back. I love this board for information.

You'll have fun whichever you choose. My choice would be sky then majesty, monarch as last resort

Monarch has no upscale/unique restaurants.

Sky does

Majesty has a fun deli that monarch does not have.

Only mentioned this cause you stated you liked food.

Safe travel!

I've only been on one out of the three, Monarch OTS. We went back in 2010 and had a great time. This was the first cruise that we missed a port due to weather, so we missed our beloved Coco Cay. It was a strange cruise since we did no beach time whatsoever. It was also in December and very windy, so time on the pool deck was spent wrapped in a towel as a blanket. Strange to come home with no sun. lol

All of that being said, we had to rely on the ship for our fun and entertainment. We had a great time, knowing beforehand that this was not a ship of bells and whistles. A great getaway? Yes.

• 2 weeks later...
Speaking of which, is there anywhere that potential cruisers can connect? We're doing the Bahamas cruise on the 25th March from MIA.

Thanks!

Welcome to Cruise Critic! Please check out the roll call for either sailing you are interested in. You must be a member of Cruise Critic and be logged in. Visit Norwegian Cruise Lines or Royal Caribbean under the Roll call headings. Find the ship and then look through the posts for your particular sailings.

Archived