cleaning conch shells?

bluenoser2

If we were to find a conch shell in Grand Turk, would we be able to get a little bleach from our room steward to clean it out? Anyone done this?

Not really necessary to do this while on the ship. Wait until you get home.

It depends on where the shell was collected and what species as to whether or not it's illegal. Illegal out of Nassau, illegal out of Florida, not illegal in other places. And forget trying to bring any shell on an RCL ship, even if it's legal at the country.

And, you are better off cleaning them asap and letting them air out, if you have a balcony.

We bought an empty conch shell fresh off a fishing boat at the pier in Nassau and took it aboard RCCL with no troubles. Tried to bring a fully cleaned and dried one aboard Carnival in Roatan and security wouldnt allow it. When pressed for a reason they stated that it was " too fresh". After that runaround and loss of $ I decided not to even try to bring shells back again. With the one in nassau, we rinsed it really well ( dirt seemed to flow out forever) and wrapped it in multiple layers of plastic bags before we headed home.

We bought an empty conch shell fresh off a fishing boat at the pier in Nassau and took it aboard RCCL with no troubles. Tried to bring a fully cleaned and dried one aboard Carnival in Roatan and security wouldnt allow it. When pressed for a reason they stated that it was " too fresh". After that runaround and loss of $ I decided not to even try to bring shells back again. With the one in nassau, we rinsed it really well ( dirt seemed to flow out forever) and wrapped it in multiple layers of plastic bags before we headed home.

I'm curious if you specifically declared it at Customs? Not that I'm the 'delcare it police' but I am curious if it is legal to bring them into U.S.

Thanks.

If we were to find a conch shell in Grand Turk, would we be able to get a little bleach from our room steward to clean it out? Anyone done this?

Several years ago, I found a Conch shell while snorkeling at Labadee (Haiti). When we got back to our cabin, I used some of the shampoo from the dispenser in the shower and washed it thoroughly, rinsed it out, and let it air dry. (There's really no need to use bleach.) Then, when we packed up to come home, I wrapped it in some of our laundry to keep it from getting broken.

Last time we were in Grand Turk we were told by ship staff (Holland America) that it was illegal to bring aboard conch shells that folks found on their own or collected at what is apparently a conch graveyard there. Wife is a big shell collector (yearly trips to Sanibel Island) and wanted one. We ended up buying one from a vendor downtown (reasonable) and got a written receipt and had no problem bringing it onboard.

Friends found a good sized (soccer ball approx) brain coral in Curacao a few yrs back and brought that onboard and their cabin steward took it and soaked it in bleach for a few days and returned it to them.

Wife brought back shells from Roatan a couple weeks ago with no problems (again on HAL)

the last time I was in Grand Turks I bought a conch shell at a little locals bazaar(sp). I'm quite sure the people selling the shells had cleaned them. I didn't have any problem bringing it on board, nor bringing it home on the flight.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone! I looked up the bringing of conch shells home and found that it is legal to bring them back from Grand Turk, so when we were there, DH found a not too large one (since we had done carry-on only) for the DD who was thrilled with it's size, shape and all over appearance. She's now displaying it proudly on her dresser. And we just used the shampoo from the dispenser in the shower as well.

Thanks everyone! I looked up the bringing of conch shells home and found that it is legal to bring them back from Grand Turk, so when we were there, DH found a not too large one (since we had done carry-on only) for the DD who was thrilled with it's size, shape and all over appearance. She's now displaying it proudly on her dresser. And we just used the shampoo from the dispenser in the shower as well.

That's great.

Those shells are so pretty. :)

When we were snorkeling in Freeport lobsters were collected by the life guard. Two were put on the boat's grill and everyone got to eat FRESH lobster.

Then a good size conch was brought aboard but there wasn't enough time to grill it. But they took the conch out of the shell and gave the shell to me. It was washed out with bleach and never smelled at all.

In Freeport you are not allowed to gather any coral, dead or alive. If caught there is a BIG fine.

On the way to, I think it was Paradise Beach, there are PILESof lobster shells on a BIG, LONG beach. I think it was called Conch Beach. Conchs are a main diet of the natives and there is no season for them as there is for lobsters. We were in a bus so couldn't stop- if we'd been in a cab I could have gotten all the conches I'd ever want!

Archived