?? Use Samsung Galaxy 2 on ship ???

flamomo

I was given one of these little gems as a Christmas gift. My family thought I could use this on my cruises to stay in email contact with them, instead of toting my netbook, which it kinda heavy to take with me when flying to port cities.

Now, I am wondering if I will be able to connect with Princess' shipboard wifi with it.

I was given one of these little gems as a Christmas gift. My family thought I could use this on my cruises to stay in email contact with them, instead of toting my netbook, which it kinda heavy to take with me when flying to port cities.

Now, I am wondering if I will be able to connect with Princess' shipboard wifi with it.

I hope so, we have one of those and like to use it on our next cruise in august. I think it would be the same as using any other tablet or phone that can connect to WiFi.

Theo

I can't imagine sending email over my Galaxy 3 via WiFi. I have a netbook I take for several reasons such as downloading pics from my camera to view on a larger screen and perhaps touch up. In order to hold the ship WiFi costs down, I log into my email and download it reading it off line. I compose my email ahead of time and then log into the WiFi and upload it. I can stretch the minutes a long way doing this.

I am very accustomed to using my netbook for emailing, and always compose my messages in 'word', then copy and past them to emails. Saves on internet connection minutes big time, and I always have plenty left over at the end of every cruise.

Therein lies the questionable use of my tablet for emailing from the ship ..... as best I can tell while I am still figuring out the capabilities of my new device, I would have to do my composing online, thereby eating up minutes.

So maybe I will end up having to take my netbook too. But, on my next cruise, I do want to try Skyping with family using my tablet.

The best and most economical way to use a smartphone while on a cruise is to leave it in airplane mode while on the ship then when going ashore find a free wifi hot spot and do your emails.

The problem with leaving it on while on the ship is that there are many apps including email that connect automatically using data and you will not catch it also phone calls will come in at about $2.99/min. Many many folks have found that they have bills in the hundreds or thousands (yes thousands) of dollars when they get home becuse they left their phones on.

I have a Samsung Galaxy tablet and loved using it on our recent cruises. I was able to compose and read my email offline......saving precious and expensive internet minutes. :) I have both Hotmail and GMail accounts.

I use Hotmail, but have no idea how to "save" the incoming emails so I can compose responses to them offline.

Needless to say, I am technically challenged!!

I use Hotmail, but have no idea how to "save" the incoming emails so I can compose responses to them offline.

Needless to say, I am technically challenged!!

You can leave the email program open when you disconnect from the internet and open downloaded emails and/or write new ones. Then save what you've done as a draft. When you go online the next time open the Drafts folder and send your mail.

You can also open your email program when you're not online and read, answer and delete emails.

Good Luck!

Archived