Is he (trying to) pull the wool over my eyes?

blazerjan

My son's FIL (J. Know-it-all) is going on his first cruise on the Fantasy at the end of March. He & his wife will be traveling with their other daughter and her family (husband and 4 kids).... He was telling us that because Disney does not have cabins (if course he said "rooms") for 6 people, they tried to book 2 cabins -each with 2 adults and 2 children..However, Disney would not allow them to book children in their cabin that are not "theirs"... (these are his grandchildren) so he and his wife are booked in an inside cabin. The daughter & husband have booked 2 connecting balcony cabins for their family of 6. He then proceeded to tell me if it wasn't a Disney rule it was a maritime law that does not allow him and his wife to book their grandchildren in their cabin.... I'm guessing he just didn't want to pay the price for the balcony and won't admit it. I checked and the difference pp between a balcony cabin and an inside is about $1250 pp..... Anyone ever heard of this "law"????? I'm just curious..... thanks!

My son's FIL (J. Know-it-all) is going on his first cruise on the Fantasy at the end of March. He & his wife will be traveling with their other daughter and her family (husband and 4 kids).... He was telling us that because Disney does not have cabins (if course he said "rooms") for 6 people, they tried to book 2 cabins -each with 2 adults and 2 children..However, Disney would not allow them to book children in their cabin that are not "theirs"... (these are his grandchildren) so he and his wife are booked in an inside cabin. The daughter & husband have booked 2 connecting balcony cabins for their family of 6. He then proceeded to tell me if it wasn't a Disney rule it was a maritime law that does not allow him and his wife to book their grandchildren in their cabin.... I'm guessing he just didn't want to pay the price for the balcony and won't admit it. I checked and the difference pp between a balcony cabin and an inside is about $1250 pp..... Anyone ever heard of this "law"????? I'm just curious..... thanks!

Your instincts are correct. The kids can be booked in the grandparents room. There are lots of families that split up the kids in different rooms when cruising (not just DCL). I've traveled with groups that had the kids in rooms with aunts/uncles/adult cousins. The only rule is that an adult (21 or over) must be booked in each room.

:)

Recently came back from a Wonder cruise. I booked 1 kid with my parents (the grandparents) cuz it was cheaper to do two 3 person rooms than a 4 person and a 2 person. So, I can confirm that as of this month, it's been allowed.

Not that it was ever illegal in the first place.

If, indeed, it is the cost of the balcony room that is making him say this, they can book one balcony room and one inside room nearby with the 2A/2C configuration. The 2 kids in the grandparents room could either switch out with each other who gets to bunk with Grannie/Grandpa or just sleep in the balcony room (doubling in the bed, if necessary). Some of those verandah rooms have beds for 5 (queen (2); sofa (1); upper bunk (1); and murphy bed (1). If the kids were small enough they could share.

If, indeed, it is the cost of the balcony room that is making him say this, they can book one balcony room and one inside room nearby with the 2A/2C configuration. The 2 kids in the grandparents room could either switch out with each other who gets to bunk with Grannie/Grandpa or just sleep in the balcony room (doubling in the bed, if necessary). Some of those verandah rooms have beds for 5 (queen (2); sofa (1); upper bunk (1); and murphy bed (1). If the kids were small enough they could share.

My guess is that is that the daughter booked the two adjoining balcony cabins but once he saw the cost.. he refused to pay it, hence the inside for him & his wife. It just bugs me that he actually thought I bought is story....

Another vote for being cheap.

My family and I will be taking our fifth cruise with my Dad in March. This is our fourth Disney and we've also taken an NCL one. For four of them, including our upcoming trip on the Fantasy, we've booked our eldest into my Dad's room since it was much cheaper to book 3 and 2 rather then 4 and 1. We always book connecting rooms and both of the kids bunk in with us which is never a problem. Our NCL agent even said "Of course we'll book one of the kids in with your Dad to save you money."

There is no such Maritime law that says you can't have grandkids with grandparents.

Now as to why he said that' date='I'll let you fight that battle on your own!:rolleyes:

AKK[/quote']

There IS such thing as "Maritime Law" It the book between "International Law" and "Law of the Sea".

It's all becoming clear to me now...... J Know-it-all isn't paying for the cruise at all... his DD is picking up the tab and she put mommy and daddy in an inside cabin, while her, hubby, and 4 kiddos are in side by side balcony cabins. So now I realize it was DD who made up the "maritime law" ... For some reason didn't want daddy/mommy next door. Guess its a win win.... parents get a free cruise and DD gets free baby sitting.... Thanks to all who replied...

Putting my sons in the same room is banned under SOLAS.

Ho come on..I never heard anything like that!..really?? Then every cruise ship sailing almost every trip is breaking that law! Why only sons and not daugthers?

That really is silly!

Sorry my friend, I just can't beleive..........where in solas??

AKK

One thing to add as well is that the Fantasy does not have staterooms for 6 people so that part was correct. Even the Royal suite is only for 5 people. So any configuration with 6 people has to be at least 2 staterooms. Now the classic ships do have suites with 2 bedrooms and the Royal can fit 6 people comfortably.

Ho come on..I never heard anything like that!..really?? Then every cruise ship sailing almost every trip is breaking that law! Why only sons and not daugthers?

That really is silly!

Sorry my friend' date=' I just can't beleive..........where in solas??

AKK[/quote']

Skipper, if we had video posting here, I believe you'd see that Host Mick has his tongue planted firmly in his cheek. :D

Happy New Year, y'all!

I cruised many times with my underage children in their own room on Celebrity. They have a rule that they have to be in an adjacent cabin which is also interpreted as across the hall. We usually booked an outside or a balcony and an inside. Many cruise lines do this so apparently there is no Solas rule against it. Okay, now I see the icon, get it.

That really is silly!

Sorry my friend' date=' I just can't beleive..........where in solas??

AKK[/quote']

Clearly you've never met them. When I put them together in the same room, their lives are at risk.

Think Thunderdome. ;)

I have cruised with my parents and inlaws and with 3 boys have booked one of the boys in their cabins. Sorry but something doesn't add up with his story :o

OP came back and claified that the son and daugher-in-law booked 2 balcony rooms for them (2A, 4C) and put the grandparents in the inside room. The DIL apparently didn't want her folks right next door.

• 1 month later...

Archived