So many Bad Legend reviews??

spunke

I wonder if some of these comments also come from the industry changing as a whole and the lack service- not being one of the more positive changes.

Not so much. Many of the other lines realize that discerning passengers still care about quality over quantity.

Yes, they cost more. I guess it boils down to whether or not one considers himself worth it.

Like other posters stated, some people just like to search for the negativity and complain. Eboiowa12 and I were on the same Legend cruise. My family and I had a great vacation. Obviously, eboiowa12 did not. Glad I didn't travel with him!!!

You'll have a great time! Lucky you!

Like other posters stated, some people just like to search for the negativity and complain. Eboiowa12 and I were on the same Legend cruise. My family and I had a great vacation. Obviously, eboiowa12 did not. Glad I didn't travel with him!!!

You'll have a great time! Lucky you!

It is actually funny to me how people on the same cruise can have such a different experience. As i stated earlier in this thread, I did not have the amazing experience i was hoping for. However, i travelled with 6 other people and they loved it so much they are booking another one soon. This was the first cruise for all of them so i don't know if the love came from the fact that they didn't have anything to compare to though.

I don't think it's fair for people to say that those of us that had complaints are just looking for reasons to complain. That was not the case at all. I just had an exceptional trip last time and expected this to be the same.

We got off the Legend on the 23rd and there was good and bad; however, the negatives and our experiences on other lines are probably making us want to pay more and do other lines from now on.

The positives included: the entertainment options--from the progressive trivia, which was fun and raucous, to the illusionist, to the outstanding lady comics (singing and dancing, not as high quality, including many badly missed notes on "A Christmas Song". The steakhouse was excellent; however, I would rank it more on par with an Outback than a Morton's. Maybe I'm more critical because I live in Los Angeles and dine out often. Some dining room dishes were really good, including the martini-braised basa and I thought the lobster was fine. Room stewards were outstanding.

The negatives included: our "Grand Suite," which was not up to par with other "lesser" cabins on other lines. The drink servers in the entertainment lounges. If we ordered alcoholic drinks, we were served promptly. Both times we ordered sodas, our orders were taken and NEVER delivered, while those around us were delivered their alcoholic beverages (this is totally unacceptable). There were rude personnel in the buffet and the food was all-in-all lower than a Hometown Buffet quality. There was only one day with a "bacon ****;" however, he made himself known. When I asked for more than two slices, he hesitated and then dug into the dregs, bits and pieces sopping in grease. Servers constantly forced you to jump out of their way or walked in front of you without as much as an "excuse me." The food in the buffet is altogether pretty bad. Skip the scrambled eggs, and the sausage inventions are interesting. Are sausages with peas and sausages with corn a European breakfast tradition? Carvery meats were nearly always overcooked and dry. Sandwiches in the deli were always undercooked without cheese melting. The pizza was Totino's quality. The ship needs an update. Her age is showing.

I will not say I had a bad time; I had a good time. However, for me (and this is only my opinion), I think in the future, I'd rather pay a bit more for a bit more quality.

We got off the Legend on the 23rd and there was good and bad; however, the negatives and our experiences on other lines are probably making us want to pay more and do other lines from now on.

The positives included: the entertainment options--from the progressive trivia, which was fun and raucous, to the illusionist, to the outstanding lady comics (singing and dancing, not as high quality, including many badly missed notes on "A Christmas Song". The steakhouse was excellent; however, I would rank it more on par with an Outback than a Morton's. Maybe I'm more critical because I live in Los Angeles and dine out often. Some dining room dishes were really good, including the martini-braised basa and I thought the lobster was fine. Room stewards were outstanding.

The negatives included: our "Grand Suite," which was not up to par with other "lesser" cabins on other lines. The drink servers in the entertainment lounges. If we ordered alcoholic drinks, we were served promptly. Both times we ordered sodas, our orders were taken and NEVER delivered, while those around us were delivered their alcoholic beverages (this is totally unacceptable). There were rude personnel in the buffet and the food was all-in-all lower than a Hometown Buffet quality. There was only one day with a "bacon ****;" however, he made himself known. When I asked for more than two slices, he hesitated and then dug into the dregs, bits and pieces sopping in grease. Servers constantly forced you to jump out of their way or walked in front of you without as much as an "excuse me." The food in the buffet is altogether pretty bad. Skip the scrambled eggs, and the sausage inventions are interesting. Are sausages with peas and sausages with corn a European breakfast tradition? Carvery meats were nearly always overcooked and dry. Sandwiches in the deli were always undercooked without cheese melting. The pizza was Totino's quality. The ship needs an update. Her age is showing.

I will not say I had a bad time; I had a good time. However, for me (and this is only my opinion), I think in the future, I'd rather pay a bit more for a bit more quality.

Hi KennySoCal. Thanks for posting. I lived in So Cal, Valencia, for a number of years. Your food assessment interests me and is important to me. I am booked on a Carnival Baltic cruise this coming summer. My question for you is this - if the competition, say NCL or RCL, would run you $700 to $1000 more for the cruise, would you say that amount of money is worth "more quality"? I am not being challenging or condescending, just really trying to get an idea of how weak the quality is perceived to be compared to the competition. I keep thinking $1000 more is not worth it, but food is important me. I keep reading a number of people feel the food quality is bad to poor on Carnival. In your opinion, is the quality that far below the others and worth it to you to pay $1000 more for just the food? Thanks

I sailed the 2011 NYE with my girlfriends on the Legend. Everything was great with exception to the decor.

It was gloomy, dark, and depressing. The ship theme was fantasy, myths, or something along those lines and featured dark urns everywhere. My girlfriends and I began making jokes that the urns contained all the lost souls of the employees and guests who were bummed out by things. It did get rather gloomy towards the end of the week constantly staring at these urns everywhere.

We also felt like there was a lot of wasted space in the aft areas. No secret decks but an "enchanted forest" that gave you dead ends, no where to sit and read, and no light to do anything with (we figured it was primarily for the kids).

Overall it was an awesome cruise but if they revamp ships I hope they revamp the Legend and remove its gloomy atmosphere.

I was on the Dec 2 Legend cruise and it was one of my favorite ships! I had been disappointed in the food and service on the last few ships I was on, but the Legend was exceptional in my opinion. Not to mention, I'm a fan of the Spirit Class ships...they never seem crowded.

The one common thing I keep reading about in this and other threads is the food is excellent. I have to agree and I believe it is because of Chef Sanjay. We have done his Chef's table that included the tour of the galley. We have done them on three other ships as well. Chef Sanjay's standards are very high. In addition, he even recognized us on our last cruise as he was walking through the dining room and made a point to ask us to have someone tell him if there was anything special or additional we needed throughout the cruise. Of course there wasn't. Food was always excellent.

We have have cruised the Legend four times, the last in Oct. and we are going again on the Legend in Feb. In addition to the excellent food, we find the staff seems happier throughout the ship making them more service friendly as well.

Don't worry about the negative reviews. You will have a wonderful time. We wouldn't keep getting on her if we didn't enjoy it.

We will miss the Legend when she goes to Europe. We hope she is back in time for our cruise next fall. If not we will probably be back on the Valor or Liberty.

I am booked on the Legend in the Med next year after a long break from cruising Carnival so I hope we have a good time as I made the ship selection and the other 5/6 people are going along. the price difference to Princess was large on a port intensive cruise so I went with C/Legend and hope we have an awesome time:D

Hi KennySoCal. Thanks for posting. I lived in So Cal, Valencia, for a number of years. Your food assessment interests me and is important to me. I am booked on a Carnival Baltic cruise this coming summer. My question for you is this - if the competition, say NCL or RCL, would run you $700 to $1000 more for the cruise, would you say that amount of money is worth "more quality"? I am not being challenging or condescending, just really trying to get an idea of how weak the quality is perceived to be compared to the competition. I keep thinking $1000 more is not worth it, but food is important me. I keep reading a number of people feel the food quality is bad to poor on Carnival. In your opinion, is the quality that far below the others and worth it to you to pay $1000 more for just the food? Thanks

We sailed Allure last year. I don't know any ship for now that can beat it in term of entertainment and decor ( just a cool ship concept). But food was just ok despite of everything being excellent. Don't even let me start it on how much we paid for Allure. Twice more for 2 inside cabins then 2 Carnival balcony cabins. So would not pay extra "nothing", let along $ 1000 just to expect better food. Carnival good value with just ok food. I guess it just food quality went down within last few years.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi KennySoCal. Thanks for posting. I lived in So Cal, Valencia, for a number of years. Your food assessment interests me and is important to me. I am booked on a Carnival Baltic cruise this coming summer. My question for you is this - if the competition, say NCL or RCL, would run you $700 to $1000 more for the cruise, would you say that amount of money is worth "more quality"?

I'm late to the game here, but thought I'd give my $.02 on the food. I was on the same sailing as KennySoCal and thought the food & food service were pretty bad. You won't go hungry, but you will feel like you're eating cheaper institutional food. I was more than happy to pay the $35 supplement to eat in the steak house. Service was great, steaks were close to Morton's quality, though the sides and desserts weren't quite up to that par. But they did know how to make a dry martini!

Is it worth paying more for potentially better food? In my mind, probably not. I just can't imagine any of the mid to large-sized ships having GREAT food. I'm forever spoiled by access to amazing California produce, great ethnic food and top-notch restaurants ranging from taco shops to The French Laundry nearby.

In port, try to find local bakeries, roadside stands and the like to buy food. On the ship, you won't starve and might even find an interesting thing or two to enjoy (on the Legend it was pickled spaghetti squash. Really great!). Then use that $700 you saved on a killer meal or two back home!

Archived