Evolution of HAL in 2013........

sail7seas

DH and I have no objection to alternative dining venues having an 'upcharge'. We like having the choice to dine elsewhere especially given how I have been enjoying the MDR menus less lately.

I think it a good thing if HAL will offer us the choice of more venues where we can have a variety of types of food as long as they make it good.

Canaletto seems to get more negative than positive revues. Tamarind gets high reviews from many (most ?) and Pinnacle for the most part is well received.

We are paying a high fare and expect to be able to dine with pleasure in MDR.

Reading here as much as I do, I see that many people are satisfied with the menus and quality of MDR though there are some complaints re: service and stewards having too many people to serve with not enough help.

I think it's all HAL's fault on nights I struggle to find what to order....... for so many cruises, they offered such wonderful menus, I know what we are now missing. :rolleyes: So, it's all their own fault!!!! (How is that for logic? :D )

I read with much interest, the responses to this question. Someone mentioned the service on the Oceania line. So I looked up a 10 day cruise

in the Western Caribbean on that line. Starting price From $2,997. I had

trouble finding a 10 day to the same place on Hal. However, I looked at

a typical 14 day Hal to the same place. Starting from $1,699. As discussed on this thread, one can readily see what may be causing these problems of course.

A ten day verses a 14 day for Hal. Could I suggest that if Hal raised their

price by say $500 pp to $2,199, we could see the return of the Hal we knew,

the astonishing food, the violins in the MDR, wine stewards that had time

to talk to you about wine or anything else. I have been on a world cruise and many Grand Voyages on Hal. I certainly would pay that additional price to have Hal come back to where I and my DW want the line to be again. An elagant cruise is steak, escargot, and filet instead of chicken. The extra $500

does not even approach Oceania fare.

How do you propose HAL raises the price when they are having problems on many sailings filling the ship with the current pricing?, Sure they can raise the price but how many will cancel right at final, or HAL sees the percentage of cabins sold is low and drops the price to insure the cabins to do sail empty. HAL would need to change their whole selling process. Luxury lines such as Crystal, Regent and Oceania started this thing with claiming every other month there would be price increases so you have xx amount of days to book before the price goes up. This worked for them in the beginning but even now most passengers know it is a sales gimmick, True for some sailings that are exotic that do sell our early but not for all of them. A smart consumer/cruise shopper watches cabin availability even with luxury lines if they see limited cabins on a sailing they want they jump in but if you see plenty of cabins just wait till the price drops.

So many of you think it is an easy solution just raise the prices so they do not lower the quality but you are not looking at the present economics and HAL attempting to fill the ships. It will do no good to raise the prices if you are not currently filling it at the present prices :rolleyes:

I read with much interest, the responses to this question. Someone mentioned the service on the Oceania line. So I looked up a 10 day cruise

in the Western Caribbean on that line. Starting price From $2,997. I had

trouble finding a 10 day to the same place on Hal. However, I looked at

a typical 14 day Hal to the same place. Starting from $1,699. As discussed on this thread, one can readily see what may be causing these problems of course.

A ten day verses a 14 day for Hal. Could I suggest that if Hal raised their

price by say $500 pp to $2,199, we could see the return of the Hal we knew,

the astonishing food, the violins in the MDR, wine stewards that had time

to talk to you about wine or anything else. I have been on a world cruise and many Grand Voyages on Hal. I certainly would pay that additional price to have Hal come back to where I and my DW want the line to be again. An elagant cruise is steak, escargot, and filet instead of chicken. The extra $500

does not even approach Oceania fare.

I pay much more for my cruises then you are quoting. if HAL had a more even pricing structure they would likely do better. They need to stop gouging early bookers then likely people would jump on board earlier and they food might be better. The way they are doing it now they have to balance the books somehow.

DH and I have no objection to alternative dining venues having an 'upcharge'. We like having the choice to dine elsewhere especially given how I have been enjoying the MDR menus less lately.

I think it a good thing if HAL will offer us the choice of more venues where we can have a variety of types of food as long as they make it good.

Canaletto seems to get more negative than positive revues. Tamarind gets high reviews from many (most ?) and Pinnacle for the most part is well received.

We are paying a high fare and expect to be able to dine with pleasure in MDR.

Reading here as much as I do, I see that many people are satisfied with the menus and quality of MDR though there are some complaints re: service and stewards having too many people to serve with not enough help.

I think it's all HAL's fault on nights I struggle to find what to order....... for so many cruises, they offered such wonderful menus, I know what we are now missing. :rolleyes: So, it's all their own fault!!!! (How is that for logic? :D )

I agree, the menu choices are not what they used to be. I think I only went to the MDR 4 times out of 14 on my last cruise. I found Canaletto was better then I remembered but not worth the $10.

We are just back from the Volendam - Sydney to Hong Kong.

The difference between this cruise and our Veendam Antarctica in January was palpable.

Now, the Veendam was sold out and the Volendam was seriously underbooked. I think there were more than five price drops from when we booked in May until sailing. We received some of the early drops but then after final payment there were two more. Our TA negotiated cabin upgrades for us. But still there were many people who paid much less for the cruise than we did.

The late sitting in the MDR was only half full. We didn't have tablemates until we negotiated our own in the second half of the Collectors' voyage.

The Lido food was sad. The only fruits were melons, grapefruit and reconstituted apricots and prunes. I think there were bananas on two days. The fruit in the cabin was old and tired. I asked for bananas and green apples and got red apples, an orange and a pear. Fruit was cheap in Australia and Asia. I'd rather have good fruit than lobster tails!

The Adagio strings were changed to Adagio (1 violin, 1 keyboard) in Singapore.

There were no Explorations lectures. Sea days were kind of boring. Thank goodness for the Library and my e-reader.

The cruise director, Tam, resorted to buying cheap trinkets ashore (magnets or keychains) for Trivia prizes.

None of these are, individually, deal breakers. The itinerary was fantastic! But for the first time in 8 years we haven't booked another cruise.

We book for itinerary not price. Maybe i will buy bananas ashore? (We did in Indonesia and Vietnam).

We are just back from the Volendam - Sydney to Hong Kong....

The Lido food was sad. The only fruits were melons, grapefruit and reconstituted apricots and prunes. I think there were bananas on two days. The fruit in the cabin was old and tired. I asked for bananas and green apples and got red apples, an orange and a pear. Fruit was cheap in Australia and Asia. I'd rather have good fruit than lobster tails!

The Adagio strings were changed to Adagio (1 violin, 1 keyboard) in Singapore.

There were no Explorations lectures. Sea days were kind of boring. Thank goodness for the Library and my e-reader.

The cruise director, Tam, resorted to buying cheap trinkets ashore (magnets or keychains) for Trivia prizes.

None of these are, individually, deal breakers. The itinerary was fantastic! But for the first time in 8 years we haven't booked another cruise....

ldog, I am disheartened to read your recent experience on Volendam as we are doing a 31-day Collectors Cruise in Asia on that ship in a few months. We were on Volendam in Alaska this past summer and enjoyed the cruise overall, but it wasn't our favorite ship. Food and service left a lot to be desired. Our Asia cruise has had significant discounts since we booked and I expect to see more now that final payment has passed. I realize it's tough to deliver a premium experience when per diems are as low as $70 pp (inside) on an exotic itinerary. Something has to give and we must adjust our expectations downward. At some point, we will not be interested in accepting less for less and we'll move away from HAL. We actually did that a few years ago and returned because HAL still offers excellent itineraries and longer voyages. We'll see if we feel the same in a few months.

The next thing to go will be passengers toting wine,soda and water. They'll soon wake up and realize there's money to be made selling beverages.

It's crunch time and $349 for a cabin and bringing your own ripple just won't cut it anymore

The next thing to go will be passengers toting wine,soda and water. They'll soon wake up and realize there's money to be made selling beverages.

It's crunch time and $349 for a cabin and bringing your own ripple just won't cut it anymore

I actually agree with you, or at the very least go to a limit of one bottle per person like many of the other lines. There was a time that I did bring on some of my own wines but that has now been so many years ago. To me it is not worth the hassle of lugging it on.

I suspect the next cuts will be again in cabin service - once a day cleaning and a simple turn-down at night...or perhaps even an end to the turn-down.:eek:

I could see this happening. Especially in non- suite cabins. The cabin stewards could do a morning cleaning of the cabins and then instead of evening cabin service they could help in the dining room. No extra work hours involved just a redistribution of labor. I would rather have better service at dinner than a choclate on my pillow. Of course I would rather have both but this is about cutting back.

Also, from the rave reviews it sure sounds like HAL could be charging more for Tamarind dinners.

I agree that it appears many of today's cruisers are choosing a line based on price, the lower the better. This is while some of us are saying that we would rather pay more and get the experience we have come to enjoy.

I, for one, am willing to put my money where my mouth is, and I have booked a cruise on a line that appears to offer what HAL used to offer.

Just as newer cruisers have no loyalty to a given line, Seattle has no loyalty to long-time cruisers. Seattle is interested in the bottom line, as they should for stockholder benefit. All this means, though, is that the lack of loyalty will extend to the formerly loyal long-time cruiser.

Sad to say, I am glad I have fewer cruising years in front of me than I have behind me. It was good while it lasted, but the gig is coming to an end.

So Ruth, you've booked with Oceania? ;)

I suspect the next cuts will be again in cabin service - once a day cleaning and a simple turn-down at night...or perhaps even an end to the turn-down.:eek:

I could see this happening. Especially in non- suite cabins. The cabin stewards could do a morning cleaning of the cabins and then instead of evening cabin service they could help in the dining room. No extra work hours involved just a redistribution of labor. I would rather have better service at dinner than a choclate on my pillow. Of course I would rather have both but this is about cutting back.

Also, from the rave reviews it sure sounds like HAL could be charging more for Tamarind dinners.

I seriously doubt something like this would happen in the near future with HAL. Holland America is not the Walmart of cruising,(although I have heard it jokingly spoke of as such with some of the recent pricing) they still want to be thought of as a Premium cruise line with direct competition with Celebrity. Doing something like this sounds like an extremely low class cruise line. This would only happen after cruise lines such as Carnival RCL, NCL and even Princess eliminate it. HAL would never be the first to initiate something of this sort. The day you see Princess do this then yes then it might be thought of but for now, not even close.

I seriously doubt something like this would happen in the near future with HAL. Holland America is not the Walmart of cruising,(although I have heard it jokingly spoke of as such with some of the recent pricing) they still want to be thought of as a Premium cruise line with direct competition with Celebrity. Doing something like this sounds like an extremely low class cruise line. This would only happen after cruise lines such as Carnival RCL, NCL and even Princess eliminate it. HAL would never be the first to initiate something of this sort. The day you see Princess do this then yes then it might be thought of but for now, not even close.

The few dinners in the MDR that we went to on our recent cruise gave the impression of a very low class cruise line.

We too have noticed all these things, not just on HAL but on other lines too. We're 4 star on HAL, Elite with Princess and Celebrity and Diamond on RCCL. Additionally we've sailed several other lines. Service and quality are down on all of them.

Cruising ain't what it used to be.

Maybe it's time to reinstate CLASS CRUISING. Better service and dining arrangements for the higher price cabins? Pay more ... get more. Works for me.

I actually agree with you, or at the very least go to a limit of one bottle per person like many of the other lines. There was a time that I did bring on some of my own wines but that has now been so many years ago. To me it is not worth the hassle of lugging it on.

I agree with this as well. I've mentioned it before and I've been torn a new one:eek:.

Wow! so many thoughtful and well spoken responses makes me proud so many fellow HAL cruisers are smart. I'll take our collective IQ's on a HAL 1300 pax ship up against the biggest mega monster ship on the high seas with thier 6000 pax all fighting to get a chair next to the pool any day!

I heard this week on CNBC a report about travel in 2013 that the cruise industry is very limited with pricing since most people book 6 months in advance and capacity control is restricted since ships are assigned up to 2 plus years in advance.

If Alaska is hot this summer HAL can't just add another ship in the middle of the season, where as an airline can more easily adjust capacity on routes based on demand.

As for fee based pricing it will be implemented where it will be tolerated and it's an industry so if it works for X, HAL will try to follow.

Ala Carte dining would probably be a disaster. It would mean fewer people cruising.

Presently, cruising is one of the best vacation deals available. Where else can you go, eat all you want, have a place to sleep, and be entertained all for one price?

Cruise line are building more mega ships, if fewer people were sailing, those behemoths would be sailing half empty.

Ala Carte dining would probably be a disaster. It would mean fewer people cruising.

Presently, cruising is one of the best vacation deals available. Where else can you go, eat all you want, have a place to sleep, and be entertained all for one price?

Cruise line are building more mega ships, if fewer people were sailing, those behemoths would be sailing half empty.

Actually you can go to an all inclusive resort and get that. It's not for me but I know the drinkers usually like it:D.

Could it be the core customer base has aged out or died and sales have declined accordingly? There is excess capacity, a weak economy and sky high airline pricing to deal with.

Clearly, there are a lot of loyal, long time HAL cruises not only active on this forum but posting to this thread. :) We're still very much alive and still cruising. :D

Please don't kill us off so fast. Lots of cruises left in us.

Be careful..... you'll be surprised how fast you get old. :eek:

The older one gets, the faster they get old. So, stay young!!!!

That's what puzzles me.

I don't understand why HAL permits people lugging cases of wine but sells some cabins for $399.....

Is that the lowest these days or have they gone even lower than that for the first two people in a cabin?

It's time to stop this permissiveness with cases of wine IMO

<snip>

Be careful..... you'll be surprised how fast you get old. :eek:

The older one gets, the faster they get old. So, stay young!!!!

Is that ever true. Can't believe I'm as old as I am. The sad part is that I'm old enough to be the mother of many of my colleagues:D;):eek:.

Is that ever true. Can't believe I'm as old as I am. The sad part is that I'm old enough to be the mother of many of my colleagues:D;):eek:.

Don't feel too bad. I would happily be your age again. :)

:D Look at it this way......

It beats the alternative. ;)

One thing no one has touched is the outrageous bonuses that the CEO's are taking. We are talking milllions of dollars in bonuses as well as millions as salary to start with. these are taken on the backs of the cruise ship workers and actually create the cutbacks we are talking about on this thread - just to pay bonuses and dividends to shareholders.

Now before everyone attacks me, I am not against bonuses or dividends per se. I just think they should be reasonable. That would leave more money on the books for food, pay for the crew, and to fix "bad" ships.

Archived