Chatty review of Zuiderdam -

kcscrapper

I must agree with the others...kudos to your great attitude about all the ship issues and the robbery.

I am pretty easy to please , but the issues on the ship ( smells , heat , toilet issues) are darn serious and would have encroached on my enjoyment.

As far as the robbery , take anything , but don't take my camera! So sad. Unfotunately , nothing is ever done in Brazil if you are robbed , sounds the same in Costa Rica.

Thanks for the review.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

How would you re-design the Lido? Any ship I have been on always has a congestion in various forms of buffet lines even on ships much smaller than the Zuiderdam.

What in your experience has worked for you on other ships? Certainly when Code Red is in force, everything breaks down but what are your ideas when Code Red is not causing hang-ups.

Well -- I don't really know as I'm not a designer eye sort of person. And - what **can** be done now?? If there is no other passage for service trolleys -- then I guess they must use the same pathway.

We always tried to keep moving while we looked over our choices -- looking over the shoulders of those waiting to be served and dodging other passengers searching for a table, tableware, glassware, more beverage, help ... whatever!!:p

And -- the Lido is, apparently, backed by a sort of kitchen, but certainly cooking equipment at most (perhaps all) of the stations. Which ... I think contributed to making the food so much better than just "steam table" fare.

As far as the robbery , take anything , but don't take my camera! So sad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yes -- that became the real sore spot. But other passengers whom we met have been very kind to send me links to their posted photos, CDs of photos, etc. Trikes Aruba posts the photos that they took during the day for free download from their Facebook page. I'm still hoping to get a decent photo of each of us on the zip line!

DH and I were on this cruise and met OP and her sister on the Cartagena tour. We agree with many of her observations about the ship. We were so sorry to hear about the Costa Rica incident but thankful that they were both OK. It was also amazing to realize I worked with OP's sister 27 years ago!! Sure is a small world. :)

Well -- I don't really know as I'm not a designer eye sort of person. And - what **can** be done now?? If there is no other passage for service trolleys -- then I guess they must use the same pathway.

We always tried to keep moving while we looked over our choices -- looking over the shoulders of those waiting to be served and dodging other passengers searching for a table, tableware, glassware, more beverage, help ... whatever!!:p

And -- the Lido is, apparently, backed by a sort of kitchen, but certainly cooking equipment at most (perhaps all) of the stations. Which ... I think contributed to making the food so much better than just "steam table" fare.

One suggestion we could make after recently being on the Oosterdam is to post the daily specials up high on a board so you can at least read what they are that day.

Now the only way to see what is available that day is to crowd behind those already in the serving line who are in front of the main dishes. Then trying to peer over their heads to take a look, and not have it look like you are trying to cut in line at the same time.:cool:

Of course, I finally solved my Lido buffet line problems committing to only use the salad bar for lunch, and only put a smidgen of dressing mixed up with a little water ..... so I have room to tea and dinner later on.:p

The OP has posted on her thread on the Costa Rica board here on CC that Okey Dokey does not actually own anything and sub contracts ALL of the excursion he books. Sometimes, he goes with the excursion ... sometimes not. :rolleyes:

She was promised a refund by Okey Dokey but this has not happened and she is no longer expecting it ... and there is absolutely nothing she can do about it.

Just glad she and her sister are all right and that HAL cared when they got back to the ship.

Would hate to see this "slip through the cracks" because it was not a good situation for the OP and Okey Dokey may not be the best independent to book.

LuLu

~~~~

Thanks LuLu -- I'm trying not to harp on it, but I admit, the image of those masked boys running at us still wakes me in the morning, and makes me think about the whole Costa Rica "thing" every day!

Soto/OkeyDokey has promised to refund us for the tour we didn't get. He makes a lot of promises, but can't seem to get me refunded!

As I said, a lot of people have been very generous with sharing their pictures so my sister and I will get our scrapbooks anyway!:)

Archived