Jewel of the Seas--12/27 - 12/31 VERY LONG PHOTO REVIEW

mets550

Really great job reviewing! We went a week before you or so, the 17-22. Similiar experiences but a couple extra comments..... Starboard balcony (extended) at the front of the ship had one lounger and two chairs and a table with great views. The art auctions were interesting wven if you aren't into art, and endless champagne during both of them. The impressionist comedian was hilarious. Solarium best seats are almost hidden at the far corners of the front end, room service breakfast is a great decision, Excursions: grand cayman the best thing we did was not get a ship excursion and instead we bought one of the main shopping plaza walk by tours for $15 near the margaritaville restaurant. It took an hour and a half and was well worth it. A/c bus, went to the town of hell to sendpostcards home and drink a beer by the neat rock formations iut back, went to the dolphin experience, and the tortuga rum cake and rum sampling factory. This was half price cheaper than the ship to the same places. Easily back to the ship ontime. Cozumel we did the $79 double snorkel vatamaran which was fantastic! Best guided snorkel ever, we saw sea turtles, a couple small sharks, stingrays, grouper, lots of fish, etc. free drinks after snorkeling, fun music up top afternoon and the all inclusive island stop was neat too....they called it a free snack but it was lunch really with sandwhiches, fruit, fries,etc. hammocks were fun and lots of water activities. Try out senor frogs at the port before onboarding. Onboard pub trivia was neat but prizes were silly, karaoke was cute, quest was fun. Next cruise I would bring a bottle of hand soap vs using the provided bars, a power cord or extension cord(especially if anyone needs a sleep apnea machine). Best decision we made was a balcony and also brought a medium sized rolling cooler onboard as a carry on that they never ever opened but just put through the xray machine. We were allowed two wine bottles per room and brought half a case of diet pepsi, and bottled waters with no issue. Was great to have that! Room attendent constantly kept our ice buckets filled for us. Nice cruise, very very limited activities unless you have kids, food was so so.

Thought of a couple more things from our cruise a week or so ago.... Portofino dinner was good, tiramisu came with a shotmof Baileys and was the highlight. The catamaran excursion in cozumel I mentioned above went to playa mia all inclusive beach and was incredibly better looking than some of the photos from the above review (plus you didnt have to get wet on the catamaran unlike the twister for those not wanting to snorkel). Playa mia had tons of chairs, unbrellas, hammocks, a pool, shaded areas, four bars and lots of water sports. I recommend the miami vice frozen drink which is half daiquiri half pina colada...although it is mostly sweet. Beer is safest bet. Our cabin 7520 had plenty of space as balcony detail mentioned above. It was smooth sailing all week until the last day which was very large swales and it took me a couple days on land to stop feeling it. Hope that helps :)

Thanks for the review! Sounds like you had a great time... I just booked this itinerary on Brilliance in 2014 as a Christmas present for my mom and DD;)

For those wondering about loungers on Jewel, we were in 2 aft cabins on deck 8 and there were loungers on our balconies as well as every balcony on 8 and those we could see on 7.

We have an aft corner cabin on Jewel for a Southern Caribbean cruise, next year...love that view!!:D

We have an aft corner cabin on Jewel for a Southern Caribbean cruise, next year...love that view!!:D

When will that be? I'm considering that one for possible May '14. After enjoying our D1 on Jewel last year, this might be the ideal time to do an aft. I would of course be watching for your review, mainly for the ports.

1104 was actually our cabin. It was great--you have a straight-on view of the wake. Our cabin attendant was Elvin, who was excellent as well and to whom we gave our other two WOW cards.

We had that one on Serenade a few years ago, very nice room to have.

Mike

any aft room is truly a gift!!

Indeed, and it is a gift for my DW's 40th birthday!

By the way, we sail with you too!!! Have you joined the Roll Call? You don't have to meet us all but we'd love to hear from you!

I did right after I booked the cruise several weeks ago but haven't had the time to visit since. Thanks for the reminder – I'll have to check in again!

The first sea day was pretty calm but the night we left Cozumel and the last sea day were both rocky. The captain said it had something to do with the swells in the sea[?]. I think there is always a chance of some rough seas in the wintertime, but the Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean Sea are generally calmer than the Atlantic. I imagine our experience was more the exception than the norm.

Thanks for the reply. Looks like we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed, then. DW's birthday is on Saturday (Cozumel), and I told her, "at least you'll be on dry land that day!"

Thanks for the pictures and detailed review!:D

One question, Is the Seaview Cafe an up charge or included venue?

It is included. It is, however, a bit hidden and out of the way. It is on deck twelve, and a lot of people will never know it is there if they don't have cause to go up there or are not told about it.

It is included. It is, however, a bit hidden and out of the way. It is on deck twelve, and a lot of people will never know it is there if they don't have cause to go up there or are not told about it.

All the more reason for me to look forward to it next week!

If you go through the Windjammer and up the stairs it is up there. A nice hidden treasure for sure. Try the brownies--the best I've had on a ship.

We went under the bridge at around 6:45 p.m. I expected a lot of people to be on deck watching, but there were only a few as it was very cold by this point. The captain did, however, blow the horn loudly as we went under. Later in the cruise I heard the captain say that the ship clears the bridge by six feet. It definitely looked closer than that from our vantage point.

[/b]

We tried to stay on deck to go under the bridge but it was WAAAAAY too cold and windy for us. We ended up going into the Viking Crowne Lounge (which was basically empty) and sat right up front. It was a great vantage point to see us coming up and under the bridge.

1104 was actually our cabin. It was great--you have a straight-on view of the wake. Our cabin attendant was Elvin, who was excellent as well and to whom we gave our other two WOW cards.

I was in 1102 on the 13 nite jewel repo in October.. Elvin was the best cabin steward I have ever had .... I have a bad habit of throwing my flipflops in a pile on the floor ..every nite he lined them up.. kept the ice bucket full ..Loved him ..i wanted to take him home :) ....he got our wow cards too ..

Thanks for the great review Josh. It was fun to relive my fond memories of my past cruise on the Jewel. I know I could count on you for a review, but since you posted it when I was away on the Breeze I had to search a little for it. :p

Thanks for the great review Josh. It was fun to relive my fond memories of my past cruise on the Jewel. I know I could count on you for a review, but since you posted it when I was away on the Breeze I had to search a little for it. :p

Glad you enjoyed! How was your New Year's cruise???

Glad you enjoyed! How was your New Year's cruise???

We had a very good time! We love New Years cruising. You can read my review from over on the Carnival board here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1762584

Haven't even uploaded my pictures to my computer yet (lol that's today's project) so there aren't any in the review.

Thank you for such a great review. The pictures from the aft are so beautiful. We have 1602 for Jewel's last Tampa departure and are so excited. I have wanted to try a Radiance class for years. I also appreciated the pix of the Marriott as this is the hotel we are considering. Congrats on finishing law school and have a great time on the Freedom!

Archived