Tuna Fish .....

sail7seas

The only tuna we have found is in the area where they make the sandwiches. I agree it is not good. This is also the only place where they have potato salad. We have found some days it is good and some days it is not. I think it depends on wheter it is fresh or left over from the day before.

The tuna fish is at the sandwich station.

I USED to make my salad and then stop at the sandwich station to get a few crackers and a spoonful of tuna fish. It is now not very tasty, IMO. Certainly not worth wrecking a cruise over but a disappointment nevertheless.

Dang! Now I have to pack my own tuna too. What's HAL's policy on bringing tuna fish on board? Can I just buy a case of it and slap a luggage tag on it? LOL

The more I think about it, It's just not worth the hassle. I'll just struggle through eating salmon all week long. :D

LOL........ Is there no end to the stress we have to endure to enjoy our vacations? :D :eek: And people think this vacation 'thing' is easy. :rolleyes:

The quality of food has been deteriorating for about two years, IMO.

Longer than that, IMO. There was a big difference in the food from early 2000's compared to 2005 and after. It slowly deteriorated in quality and service, but each cruise we could see the difference.

EDIT: Tuna and egg salad pre-made and brought on ship in one gallon bags? I'll pass on that, thank you.

The tuna salad and egg salad comes pre-made in one gallon bags.The ship does not make the tuna salad or egg salad

Are you serious? :eek:

How do you know that?

That is not particularly appetizing.

Wow, just off the Oosterdam Nov/Dec 2012 and we loved the tuna fish and ordered tuna melts all the time either in room service or at the Lido, and always grabbed them when they were savories at tea time. In fact, we both remarked what a good job HAL was doing with their tuna.

(The fact they don't really melt their tuna melts is another story, but the tuna on that cruise we thought was very tasty.)

The only tuna we have found is in the area where they make the sandwiches. I agree it is not good. This is also the only place where they have potato salad. We have found some days it is good and some days it is not. I think it depends on wheter it is fresh or left over from the day before.

Yesterday's potato salad? :eek:Is that even edible? I thought potato salad should be trown out after two hours, a little longer if kept cold.

Tuna salad: We use avocado rather than mayo to give it the creaminess we like, better fat than in mayo if you don't make your own fresh mayo. I personally like a little onion and pickle mixed in for tartness and crunch, but it's not necessary. :cool:

Isn't albacore tuna way higher in mercury?

If it is Lorene, I don`t give a fig since I just hate that brown, stinky stuff. Douldt I eat enough of it in a year that it would do me any harm. Probably only eat one can a month. I eat more canned sockey salmon or canned Coho when I can find it. :)

The tuna salad and egg salad comes pre-made in one gallon bags.The ship does not make the tuna salad or egg salad

Ewe Yuck! :( Just think of all the darned preservatives in that crap. I`ve seen the bagged guacamole dip. Once again though think of all the chemicals in that stuff to keep it so-called fresh.` Another thing to scratch off my list of crap not to eat on HAL.:rolleyes:

TRUE storey - Know of someone who put half a can of tuna flavoured cat food in a small plastic container. When wife was out, husband served it on crackers to his buddies & they ate it. :)

Can't remember where I heard it, but I've heard a similar story.

Ewe Yuck! :( Just think of all the darned preservatives in that crap. I`ve seen the bagged guacamole dip. Once again though think of all the chemicals in that stuff to keep it so-called fresh.` Another thing to scratch off my list of crap not to eat on HAL.:rolleyes:

Grocery stores are full of packaged guacamole dip. It's the same as what is served on the ships but in much smaller package. I buy prepared guacamole from time to time and it comes in a sealed plastic pouch usually packaged in cardboard sleeve. There isn't a very long fresh date on the packages and all it needs is acid such as lemon or lime to keep from changing color. I think there are likely far worse food items being served on the ships and being sold in the grocery stores. :eek: ;)

I love tuna fish sandwich's but haven't had one on the ship for a very long time. I guess I'm going to try one on our next cruise.

On our last cruise on the Zaandam, we had some of the best food we've ever had on a Hal ship. Its all because of the different Chef's I think.

Judy, Sheila, et al,

I don't remember trying the tuna on board; must have missed it on the salad bar line. I always avoid the salmon on HAL, especially the smoked (raw) salmon on the Lido line. I grew up on the Washington and Oregon coasts, and salmon in my house was like chicken in other peoples' houses -- what you ate when you couldn't get anything better. (But, I have _never_ had ever since as good a smoked salmon as we used to make at home in the old refrigerator/smoker).

But, I used to love the smoked fish that used to be on the Lido line at breakfast and sometimes at lunch. Whatever happened to that? I would trade you a pound of gravlax or a dinner entree of poached salmon for two ounces of smoked halibut.

Dave

Hey!! She's doing great!!! (You are so sweet!!!)

Thank you.... she's still smiling from all your comments!

I'm so glad to hear Nancy is doing great...I've been thinking of the two of you...since she lost her dad while you were on your recent NA cruise....

If it is Lorene, I don`t give a fig since I just hate that brown, stinky stuff. Douldt I eat enough of it in a year that it would do me any harm. Probably only eat one can a month. I eat more canned sockey salmon or canned Coho when I can find it. :)

Where are you getting your tuna from:D? I don't find the albacore that different from the light.

Judy, Sheila, et al,

I don't remember trying the tuna on board; must have missed it on the salad bar line. I always avoid the salmon on HAL, especially the smoked (raw) salmon on the Lido line. I grew up on the Washington and Oregon coasts, and salmon in my house was like chicken in other peoples' houses -- what you ate when you couldn't get anything better. (But, I have _never_ had ever since as good a smoked salmon as we used to make at home in the old refrigerator/smoker).

But, I used to love the smoked fish that used to be on the Lido line at breakfast and sometimes at lunch. Whatever happened to that? I would trade you a pound of gravlax or a dinner entree of poached salmon for two ounces of smoked halibut.

Dave

Ah, Dave.......

I had forgotten about the smoked halibut, sable fish and white fish. It's been a long time since we've seen that on HAL ships. A squeeze of lemon and it's soooo good.

Sad all the foods that have disappeared from menus and Lido. We are lucky to have once enjoyed those wonderful foods but that is no more, it seems.

Who would think a little post about tuna fish would have 1,000 views? Who would have even mentioned tuna fish in the days when we had such special dishes/meals?

Oh well, 'tis better to have had and lost it than never to have had it at all. :D

If it not Albacore Tuna I will not eat the other stuff and all I seen on Holland is the other stuff. As for taking food on board, I pack my own salad dressings, the stuff Holland provides has way to many preservatives.

Archived